First Turkey Season

14chow

Button Buck
Get a GOOD chair first, learn how to sit perfectly still in it for 30 plus minutes at a time. You will not find this at Wally W. [+/-$39.00]
Similar to this one.https://www.midwestturkeycall.com/seats/4195-alps-vanish-chair-mc-nwtf-mossy-oak-obsession.html
Go to Wally World and buy a pot call and learn to run it [there are thousands of free vids on youtube].[$19.00]
This leaves you $7.00 for gas to go scouting. Make sure that the GLs that you want to hunt are open to hunting. [most GLs in the Durham area are lottery permit only].
Scout by walking deep into the woods before daylight to listen for birds.
GOOD LUCK.

If you like this chair, MidwayUSA has for $39.99.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...nish-turkey-chair-mc-mossy-oak-obsession-camo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
This.... going to be hard to find because it sells fast. Sure dies bring those Tom's running.

Not really, just do some good scouting, learn a couple of calls and get out there. The more you go, the more you try, the more you will lean. Get out early and listen to try to find some gobbling. Try to pinpoint where they are at. Lots of times they go back to the same roosting site.

Good Luck
858b41856df94b8fc0949254b77cf305.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Hey looking for some advice on my first turkey season and will be hunting on various piedmont gamelands. I am trying to get started on a budget of $75 and already have the camo, shotgun, and shells.

What kind of call is essential? Box, diaphragm, or friction call? Get one of each?

Should I purchase a few inexpensive decoys? If so do y’all think hens, jakes, a gobbler in strut?

Thanks for any help!

i cant think of a harder way to get started. all your local gamelands are draw so you may get to hunt three days all season IF you get drawn.

you need access to more land and the suggestions on a mentor is the best advice you can get.

access to turkeys is more important than your equipment.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
i cant think of a harder way to get started. all your local gamelands are draw so you may get to hunt three days all season IF you get drawn.

you need access to more land and the suggestions on a mentor is the best advice you can get.

access to turkeys is more important than your equipment.
I sure hope you get drawn for a hunt! I have friends that never have been drawn....I have only had one occasion I did not get drawn....I am staying out of it this year....good luck

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Like a lot people have said time in the woods is as good as money just like deer hunting scout,scout,scout,hope you have success getting drawn, i have a stool and a couple decoys you can have if you want just send me a pm ,and we can arrange pickup.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Skip all the calls and dekes, get a bottle of permethrin, therma cell and comfy chair! Being still and comfortable are probably just as important as anything else. Just kidding about the call, you’ll need a couple dozen. Your not really Turkey hunting unless your vest weighs 87 lbs.