Hunting public land

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
I hunted SC public land in the Pee Dee region for years. Those duck Saturdays sounded like the opening day and legal shooting hour of opening day of rifle deer season in WV. If nobody's ever heard that, it sounds like what I imagine warfare sounds like.

Last edited:

Red

Button Buck
So true. Was gearing up with my brother on white oak mtn in va only to have a guy pull up right beside us reeking of booze. Bro asked what was up to which he replied there’s plenty of space. We went elsewhere. Next year group of kiddos pull up beside me and same thing but at least they pull up gps maps and ask where I’m heading. They got a beautiful 12pt while I chose to go elsewhere and get stopped by the warden for a license check who informed me and showed me pics of said beautiful buck. Nothing but good memories and even more memorable bad experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
:D:p:D:p
Freaking funny.
I have not deer hunted on public land since 1997 on the Chatham gameland. The only gameland I would hunt on for deer would be the Sandhills gameland

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hunted SC public land in the Pee Dee region for years. Those duck Saturdays sounded like the opening day and legal shooting hour of opening day of rifle deer season in WV. If nobody's ever heard that, it sounds like what I imagine warfare sounds like.

I can verify the sound of opening day of rifle season in WV...almost everyone is out hunting

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I haven't hunted public land in a lot of years, about 25 years, cannot stand being in the stand and hear someone else sneaking trying to set up a deer stand next to you.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Yeah Public land was hard on me this year. Only 5 deer, 2 turkeys, and 2 hogs. And only ONE of those deer were bigger than 130”.

I mean, with all the other guys out there, I really wouldn’t even bother wasting the gas... :)

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I struck out on public land this year. Came home to my 4 acres tucked in at the end of the earth and had a 8 pt sparring with a 6 pt in the driveway lol. Damn! What part of the state are you living in? Curious regarding the hogs

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
That was pretty funny I think the pressure depends on location and reputation of the public land spot as well as species I'm sure the piedmont and eastern gets hit pretty hard for me ill take less game and have less pressure I can hunt daylight till dark and never see a soul in many places. On side note I love hearing people say ill never step on public land less competition for me.

Uwharrieman

Ten Pointer
I hunted Elk Neck State Park in MD in 1975-76 when I was stationed at APG, MD.
When I went in that morning campers were everywhere, never seen so many people.
I went to a big downed tree and walked up the body until I was several feet off the ground.

This was an evening hunt, soon the shots started coming, they hit trees and whatever else around. Before dark, I was sitting "under" that big tree waiting for darkness.
As I walked down the dirt road to my car I passed a number of hunters sitting at campsites talking and drinking coffee.
I asked each group if they got anything, or got a shot. Not one admitted they fired a shot. I never went back.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Yeah Public land was hard on me this year. Only 5 deer, 2 turkeys, and 2 hogs. And only ONE of those deer were bigger than 130”.

I mean, with all the other guys out there, I really wouldn’t even bother wasting the gas... :)

You got Mr. Big you were after?