Dog Dumping

Status
Not open for further replies.

GranvilleGobbler

Button Buck
I'm relatively new to hunting in general and I don't dog hunt. Looks like some folks dumped their dogs (probably about 5 or 6 of them). On or near my property in Granville. My brother in-law thinks he saw their truck and my wife thinks she heard them in the woods behind our house (she works from home), which makes me a whole 'nother level of pissed off entirely. My question is, other than the obvious trespassing issues here, are there laws against dumping your dogs like that?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Regulation book, local regulations, Granville Co., pg. 79....."It is unlawful in the counties indicated......Release a dog or dogs onto the property of another for the purpose of hunting deer without the written consent of the landowner or leassee."

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Regulation book, local regulations, Granville Co., pg. 79....."It is unlawful in the counties indicated......Release a dog or dogs onto the property of another for the purpose of hunting deer without the written consent of the landowner or leassee."

How do you know they were deer hunting ?

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Abandonment would be illegal. Running/training the dogs is not illegal as long as the owner/handler is present. You even admitted you don't know, if they were on your land or not. Someone turning dogs out on your land would be illegal though county ordinance, if they were running deer. People hunt more than deer with dogs.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep sounds like a good old rabbit race gone wild......maybe they were hunting adjacent property?

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I don't. I just answered the man's question about a regulation. Up to him to see if it applies.

Where in his original post did he mentioned the dogs were released with intent to hunt deer? Awfully quick to take a jab at deer dog hunters Lee. I would also advise knowing exactly where the dogs were and the property lines before I involved anyone else. The OP admitted in his original post that the dogs were ON OR NEAR his property. No harm or foul in being near. Now illegally released on his property is another story but it was never said nor proven they were released with intent to hunt deer as Lee implied. Illegally released is illegally released whether deer hunting, or out for a Friday stroll.

Last edited:

JFH3006

Ten Pointer
GG,

I believe u must be new to the area.
If this upset u, just wait tell next fall when dogs will be where ever they want if any of your neighbors allow it. It has been discussed to death here so until laws change just deal with it. (Stir stir)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Wildcat3, I'll respond only because you addressed me personally, and you will pardon me if I can't actually put a face to your name.
First, I will refer to my post of 12-30-17 regarding resolutions:

"I resolve to be better on the forum this year. I will strive to be non-combative, inciting or sarcastic. I will work on this all year long and hope to have become a new person by 2019, if I live that long."

Secondly, I responded as such based on the fact that the OP's comment was posted in the DEER HUNTING category.
And thirdly, his question was "are there laws against dumping your dogs like that". Being a Granville Co. resident as well I was aware of the county regulation.

Basically, I just answered his question based on the information I got from his post with no animosity towards anyone.
So far, I think I'm doing pretty good with my resolution.

Last edited:

Red

Button Buck
I’ve met some nice folk by just being kind to the “trespassing” pups. My blue ticks tend to be a magnet for the lesser bawling hounds in the area. Usually it’s rabbit hunters or bird hunters. I’m also in an area that is a focal point for abandoning dogs and we adopted one last year. Gunshy hound that can run down deer or rabbits but sweet as can be. Resist the urge to get mad even if it is our(definitely me) first instinct, and you might benefit from it. I don’t believe anywhere is legal to abandon a pup. If they are hunting dogs they are usually protected at least in Rockingham County. If they are abandoned call animal control they will come set traps and take them away. If you find one and it has a tag call the owner. It’s always best to try and work things out as local as can be before getting any authority involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Wildcat3, I'll respond only because you addressed me personally, and you will pardon me if I can't actually put a face to your name.
First, I will refer to my post of 12-30-17 regarding resolutions:

"I resolve to be better on the forum this year. I will strive to be non-combative, inciting or sarcastic. I will work on this all year long and hope to have become a new person by 2019, if I live that long."

Secondly, I responded as such based on the fact that the OP's comment was posted in the DEER HUNTING category.
And thirdly, his question was "are there laws against dumping your dogs like that". Being a Granville Co. resident as well I was aware of the county regulation.

Basically, I just answered his question based on the information I got from his post with no animosity towards anyone.
So far, I think I'm doing pretty good with my resolution.

Here you go raising the bar again! Lol. Hard to beat the LTS I have dealt with last year. Honesty and integrity are first two words that come to mind. Most people drop dogs on or near caring people. Doesn't make it right but it gives the dog a chance. Hope it works out for GG

Last edited:

Taproot

That's just wrong. If someone doesn't want the dog, then they should at least take it the the pound where it can be adopted.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Chances are if that many were dropped at one time, they were rabbit hunting (had some by my place this morning).

That being said, it seems to be common practice for some to dump unwanted dogs in rural areas. We easily have 5 - 6 strays show up in our yard every year, and the dog thats lying at my feet now waiting to go out came down our driveway as a "dumped dog."

Sadly, some people are too lazy / stupid / uncaring when it comes to animals in general.......

Tree Cutter

Button Buck
Yeah unfortunately, the majority of dog hunters these days have absolutely no respect for any body else's property. However, the fortunate side to it, if you can find one, is that they are so ignorant that they are actually killing the sport for themselves and sooner or later, there will be no dog hunting allowed and all landowners and people that have respect will be able to enjoy the outdoors and hunting again without having to worry about people trying to take advantage of them.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Really? I don't think the majority act that way. I know where I hunt we do not go where we are not allowed and the dogs can be toned or shocked and they will break off of the deer or coyote. But we do still have to deal with :donk from time to time. It is usually the guy who owns 10 acres in a 1000 acre block and thinks he controls all of it. Maybe you can come hunt with me one day and see for yourself that a lot of us try to do it respectfully instead of calling us ignorant.

Last edited:

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I agree with btsharky,the majority of us are doing it right.The use of modern tracking equip.is making it easier to control hounds you still are going to get the rouge dog hunters they are no different than the rouge still hunters landowners get.I was recently involved in a really good Saturday outside fox hunt we cast 125 head of hounds on a 5000 acre club we never had a hound go onto land we couldn't hunt on even though we had 4 different chase going on at one time during the hunt.We did upset some of the small landowners on one road but a hound never crossed it and got on their land we blocked them every time they went that way.I'm sure from inside their houses it sounded like we were running on their land,running near someones land and being on it is two different things,we did get a visit from the local sheriffs dept. but as one of them told one of landowner as long as we are stay on our side of the road everything is good and we hold no hard feelings toward those land owners it their land they don't allow dog hunting on it we know this and deal with it.

Last edited:

Tree Cutter

Button Buck
I agree with btsharky,the majority of us are doing it right.The use of modern tracking equip.is making it easier to control hounds you still are going to get the rouge dog hunters they are no different than the rouge still hunters landowners get.I was recently involved in a really good Saturday outside fox hunt we cast 125 head of hounds on a 5000 acre club we never had a hound go onto land we couldn't hunt on even though we had 4 different chase going on at one time during the hunt.We did upset some of the small landowners on one road but a hound never crossed it and got on their land we blocked them every time they went that way.I'm sure from inside their houses it sounded like we were running on their land,running near someones land and being on it is two different things,we did get a visit from the local sheriffs dept. but as one of them told one of landowner as long as we are stay on our side of the road everything is good and we hold no hard feelings toward those land owners it their land they don't allow dog hunting on it we know this and deal with it.

Maybe the majority of you guys on this site are doing it right but Im telling you, you aren't going to change my opinion on the dog hunting because I and we deal with it a lot and other landowners in the area are getting fed up with it. You guys are right, you have the ability to tone and shock the dogs to stop the chase, which is why there should be no issues whatsoever with dogs getting "out of the hunt" on other peoples property. BUT it happens every time you turn out. If you don't want to be called ignorant, do be, just talk with the local wildlife officers in the area where dog hunting is allowed, I will guarantee you that 90% of the complaints and calls they get is because of the dog hunters. We could go on about this for days but it is pointless, it is beating a dead horse. I am not against dog hunting that is done the right way with no problems, but that rarely happens anymore. I would be stupid to try to tell you that my way of hunting is better than yours. I am just going off of the idea that I don't want your way of hunting messing up my way and with large tracts of land getting more and more scarce, running dogs is becoming more and more difficult to do correctly but that is not changing the fact that dog hunters are not realizing that.

Last edited:

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm relatively new to hunting in general and I don't dog hunt. Looks like some folks dumped their dogs (probably about 5 or 6 of them). On or near my property in Granville. My brother in-law thinks he saw their truck and my wife thinks she heard them in the woods behind our house (she works from home), which makes me a whole 'nother level of pissed off entirely. My question is, other than the obvious trespassing issues here, are there laws against dumping your dogs like that?

Game warden just popped part of a big crowd for dumping deer dogs on other folks land (Vance and Granville). Get in touch with the warden

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Game warden just popped part of a big crowd for dumping deer dogs on other folks land (Vance and Granville). Get in touch with the warden

Good deal this is what should happen,if you break the law you should have to pay for it.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Tree cutter.....I deal with the same situation.....but I do believe that these guys on here are the ones doing it right. I hate to see them have to be bashed because of the rogue guys. They have listened to me bitch about my situation more than a couple years now. These guys on here don’t like the rogue hunters anymore than you and I do. They know it puts a bad name on the sport........I have a bad taste in my mouth with the dog club I deal with, but not with dog hunting in general. I’m just saying that there’s no need to ruffle feathers here....

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Maybe the majority of you guys on this site are doing it right but Im telling you, you aren't going to change my opinion on the dog hunting because I and we deal with it a lot and other landowners in the area are getting fed up with it. You guys are right, you have the ability to tone and shock the dogs to stop the chase, which is why there should be no issues whatsoever with dogs getting "out of the hunt" on other peoples property. BUT it happens every time you turn out. If you don't want to be called ignorant, do be, just talk with the local wildlife officers in the area where dog hunting is allowed, I will guarantee you that 90% of the complaints and calls they get is because of the dog hunters. We could go on about this for days but it is pointless, it is beating a dead horse. I am not against dog hunting that is done the right way with no problems, but that rarely happens anymore. I would be stupid to try to tell you that my way of hunting is better than yours. I am just going off of the idea that I don't want your way of hunting messing up my way and with large tracts of land getting more and more scarce, running dogs is becoming more and more difficult to do correctly but that is not changing the fact that dog hunters are not realizing that.

There is no way I can change your opinion on dog hunting would not even try because you lump us all in the same basket good,bad doesn't matter to you we are all the same,you are right about one thing no need to beat this dead horse anymore.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
There is no way I can change your opinion on dog hunting would not even try because you lump us all in the same basket good,bad doesn't matter to you we are all the same,you are right about one thing no need to beat this dead horse anymore.

and with that good answer we will close this one down,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.