Animal tracks

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
At the farm yesterday. Have not seen this track before. What animal?

bf92363659db79dd8aef2d479745d71c.jpg

d78c97231a7cabe139378c1bd8861610.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looks like beaver to me, but there’s not a lot there for size reference.. Are they big, like dog sized? Near water? Also if that’s not a tire track it looks a lot like a beaver slide.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I will retract my possum statement now that I know it's a yote size track. I've never seen a possum that large.

I'm going to lean towards otter now since water is nearby.

Red

Button Buck
I don’t know but I don’t think a dew claw is low enough to imprint into mud on a yote. They do t around here at least far as I’ve seen. And the paw pads for the front toes normally is depressed in the mud just like a mutt. Beaver would have 4 in the front and five in the back. Mtn lion would have massive paw prints. Democrat is highly likely. Deadeye I think I might have to send you a cam just to sort out this mystery. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A picture of a track is going to get a lot of different responses online. If you're standing there in person, the context will give you the answer.

If it's a beaver, you'll see signs of cutting. usually a lot. Cut trees and saplings, white feeder sticks, slides, lodge/dam etc.

If it's an otter, you may still see slide like marks, but you can usually find scat or a "latrine" that will be full of fish scales, shellfish, crayfish, etc.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In the posted pics, I do not see any sign of a tail drag typical of an otter though. They may be there, just not in the pics. And nothing for a size comparison makes it tough as well. Bigger than a coyote track is still pretty vague.