Red Stag Hunt Recommendation Needed

Greetings Members,

I have been researching a red stag hunt in Scotland and would like to request any and all recommendations from any members who have traveled abroad on a red stag destination hunt (They call it a "stalk"). There are so many options as far as outfitters, family owned estate hunts to even hunts that come with certain hotel lodging lol (could you imagine...Holiday Inn Express having in-house hunting guide and gear lol) Before I just run with one I wanted to ask NCH&F for advice. I'm hoping a member has gone and has had a positive experience with an outfitter/guide or knows someone that has and can lend some help me way. Thank you for your time and look forward to any responses.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
That sounds like a great adventure for sure. Good luck. I've never seen anyone post about a Stag hunt here? IDK?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The biggest obstacle might be importing guns and ammunition into the UK to hunt

Most UK stag hunters use 308s 303s or smaller as “magnum” cartridges are frowned on by the police there.

I’m sure a good outfitter can advise on gun laws.

Good luck

Last edited:

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Never hunted them in Scotland but I have hunted them in Australia with my wife's family a couple of times when we went for visits.Spot and stalk hunts enjoyed hunting them.

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
I've hunted them in Ireland a few times, saw alot but never scored. I was with a friend of the family not a guide, my lady is from there and all her family is there. I will ask him his recommendation since he goes over to Scotland about every other year. May take a few days to get up with him so pm me if you don't hear back.

ksherb

Six Pointer
Contributor
I went in England in January 2012. Don’t plan to take your own gun. Suppressors are required, and getting NFA and suppressor over here, then getting it out of here, then getting it into Scotland - just not worth it. (NOTE: suppressors may not be required in Scotland, but were in England).

When they say “stalk” - that is exactly what it is. You will walk 6-10 miles in the morning, repeat in the afternoon. When I went, there was 10-12 inches (unheard of) of snow on the ground. I lost about 8 pounds in 2 days of hunting.

The guide was certifiably hammered the entire time. We were hunting estates trying to get rid of nuisance deer. We cleaned, butchered, and packed the venison in the fields, then ate it on the grounds of the estates in the evenings.

I would do it again in half a heartbeat.

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
Send me a PM and I will help.

I've been several times, hunted England and Scotland. Shot sika, red and roe. Going back again this fall.

Taproot

I would also like to get recommendations for a red stag hunt in NZ. It is on my bucket list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
Could be wrong but I believe the NZ hunt is basically fish in a barrel. Spot and shoot, not much sport at all.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Could be wrong but I believe the NZ hunt is basically fish in a barrel. Spot and shoot, not much sport at all.

Soooo. NZ is on my “list”

But not for what most hunting shows go there for. Most of the NZ stag hunts you see with huge crowns are pen raised deer on fenced ranches.
————
I wanna take a month to go over there in their fall during the roar.
Something like 30% of the landmass is open to free hunting. All you need is general hunting license. No tags and no limits for stag, fallow deer, tahr, chamois, pigs, sheep, heck even elk.

Would be a heck of an adventure with rifle, tent, a good buddy, and maybe a rented Toyota HiLux

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns

But not for what most hunting shows go there for. Most of the NZ stag hunts you see with huge crowns are pen raised deer on fenced ranches.
————
Something like 30% of the landmass is open to free hunting. All you need is general hunting license. No tags and no limits for stag, fallow deer, tahr, chamois, pigs, sheep, heck even elk.

Would be a heck of an adventure with rifle, tent, a good buddy, and maybe a rented Toyota HiLux

I’ve never been, but from what I’ve read, I believe you are correct.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The lastest NRA American Hunter magazine has an article about hunting stags in Scotland.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer

————

I was just researching how to DIY in NZ over the weekend. Def on my boondoggle list!

I've hunted them in Ireland a few times, saw alot but never scored. I was with a friend of the family not a guide, my lady is from there and all her family is there. I will ask him his recommendation since he goes over to Scotland about every other year. May take a few days to get up with him so pm me if you don't hear back.

I appreciate it greatly. Helps having contacts over there.

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
The lastest NRA American Hunter magazine has an article about hunting stags in Scotland.

Yea, just got done reading it. About what I would expect, a high dollar hunt for writers put on by a gun or optics company. To dissect it - first it was at Blair Atholl, which is just barely in the highlands (like saying Lenoir is in the Appalachians, it is, sort of) and near some of the other high dollar estates.

They shot good stags, they stayed in fine lodging, and if I read correctly everyone went out and shot their stag in a day. They did mention that these stags were a slight bit better than average, and on that note they are true. The highlands is a rough place and they don't grow big heads or bodies. If you want big heads and bodies you stalk down south in England. If you genetic freaks you head to NZ and better be prepared to pay $$$$$$ and more $$$$ to ship them home.

The were shooting early, when the midges (no-see-ums) were out - those will wear you out. They also mentioned heather, but didn't put all the cuss words in front and behind the word heather.