Does anybody else buy a new turkey call before the season??

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Not just one but few awaiting an order right now from Midwest. Something I really can't have enough of I always appreciate a well made good sounding call

Blades

Six Pointer
Gander Mountain had great deals during the fall in their liquidation. I picked up a one handed push call, diaphragm, and glass pot call. It’s way overkill how many calls I walk into the woods with... probably 8 counting my Harrison hoot locator. Rather have them and not need it than the other way around.

Last edited:

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I am going to get another mouth call or 2. I need an Owl Hooter so may pick up one of them also.

gobbler

Eight Pointer
its a true addiction, couple weeks ago i sold several on ebay, only to turn right around and order a few more after i said i had all i needed and then some,
fyi if yall have never spoke to billy rhodes out in arkansas of all the callmakers i have ever talked to he has became my favorite, super nice fella, and he warrants his calls for life

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I can’t use the diaphragm calls to save my life but do buy a few now and then to keep “trying”. Every year I pick up something new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep....I usually get a few mouth calls every year.... and usually lose them by the end of the season....I should really stop setting them on my leg ....

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I need to go to the DDC to pick one up. I really don't like the 2-hour drive, crowds, entry cost, or food, but there are several things that I need there that would really be easier than ordering.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I need to go to the DDC to pick one up. I really don't like the 2-hour drive, crowds, entry cost, or food, but there are several things that I need there that would really be easier than ordering.

I say same thing about the NWTF convention but I'm gonna change my tune next year some things you just need to see and hold and a pic on screen doesn't do justice to some the quality calls

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
one call that may be available at the ddc is a David Halloran mouth call that is really easy to run and sounds good. it is his Natural Born Killer call, used to be blue tape. My refrigerator is full of them but i will probably buy more.

i assume he is displaying.

my problem is escaping his booth with just mouth calls. :)

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep....I usually get a few mouth calls every year.... and usually lose them by the end of the season....I should really stop setting them on my leg ....
I do the same thing :)
Bought 2 mouth calls this time;)

Last edited:

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
I always replace all my mouth calls and I buy as many trumpets as I can afford every year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

cmcarter

Six Pointer
When I first started turkey hunting an older gentleman told me to buy new diaphragm calls every year. He said prior to him doing so he would mysteriously develop a respiratory infection the first week of season. Took him a couple years but he tracked it back to the old diaphragm calls. He always kept his calls in the fridge too.
I finally found a good diaphragm call that I can work pretty well...now I’m debating whether I use it again or buy a new one.

cmcarter

Six Pointer
how about picking me up one this year and save me the trip. LOL

I do want to see cmcarter's velvet monster this year though.

Update for the DDC.
The buck will be there all weekend, Friday-Sunday.
He’ll be in the Jim Graham Building at booths 21-23, which is Jake Rouse’s Taxidermy booth.

I still plan to be there Saturday morning-mid afternoon with my wife and daughter.

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
Are owl Hooters really worth it vs just hooting from your mouth with out it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Are owl Hooters really worth it vs just hooting from your mouth with out it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Depends on if you can make em gobble if so then your good only advantage is a good hooter will carry further so I keep one on hand I like wood ones only its fairly limited use call to daylight and dark rest time crow works fine as locater

Blades

Six Pointer
I agree with you turkeyfoot, my walnut Harrison hooter travels very well through the woods but it’s limited on use. There’s also no guarantee that they will respond. Typically during the off-roost hours I will listen in on the crows and they will respond to their pestering.

On a side note, there is an old farm house on my property and the Lily’s have already bloomed! About a month early than last year.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I buy a new mouth call every spring.... does anyone else ?

I've never been able to do much with a mouth call, much to my chagrin. Over the years I have bought several different ones at the DDC like a box call and a couple of different push button types. I've also bought some different strikers to use on my first call I ever bought, a Lil Deuce by H.S. Strut from Wal-Mart about 20 years ago. It still works fine so I figure my money will be better spent on some other brand new gotta have piece of gear that'll probably end up in the bottom of my kit bag with all the others.