Idiot

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
In before someone says Australia banned 99% of the people there from owning semi automatic rifles in 1996 and does not see these kind of shootings

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I'm just disgusted by this wad blown away at the number of school related shootings in US this last year. Children shouldn't have to sit in a school room in fear but many do on the world we live in just disgusted so many lives destroyed victims families communities there has be somthing that can be done. I agree certain staff should be adequately trained and allowed to carry may deter some these people or at least take the gunman out before he kills that many

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We have to start looking at the source of the problem, too many people start screaming gun control just because of a political agenda. Knowing that the gun holds a very small factor in these heinous acts and the person behind the gun is the problem is a very good start.
Evidently this P O S is fairly consistent with "most" school shooters in that he was a disgruntled white male, loner with a mental health history and had red flags in his social life, social media as well as a extensive history of violent acts against others and animals. Maybe if instead of placating this group of individuals, we would instead monitor them closely for developing issues and plans, we would stop these acts before they are started. By patronizing one micro-chasm due to political correctness we endanger a much larger group and actually become part of the problem instead of the solution.
It's pretty simple really, just not what the touchy, feely public wants to hear. Common sense isn't only uncommon...but now illegal and tagged as racist, misogynistic, ect....

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
I don't feel like making sure those whom enter a school are supposed to be there, or having armed ex military etc guards at schools give up any kind of freedoms. Kids are gonna have to use badges at college, jobs, gyms etc. Why not at schools as well? Get em used to it early.

That's been tried after Columbine. Photo ID's required, metal detectors for every student entering.

Parents fussed, the students fussed, and it bit into a chunk of the early part of the school day.

I hate to say this but even if all this was required, all it takes is for the wrong kid to know about students who prop doors open, or how and when fire drills are scheduled, etc. There's no 100% safe school.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
Don't overthink this folks. A school setting is just another slice of the same pie and while it may be a tad different than everywhere else USA, the demands and responsibilities of being armed and willing to defend yourself or others remains constant.

Teachers/Staff who don't/won't feel the need to be armed aren't part of the equation. Just as it does in every other setting, just a few armed, able and willing folks among the masses makes all the difference.

The problem with the school settings is that the armed defenders are limited to an SRO or two at best. Many schools (especially the lower grades) still have no LE presence on-site, so those places are low hanging fruit for the nutcases and they know it. It's really just as simple as that.

ETA: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-...lent-criminals

Good post. If the public knew that there MIGHT be armed teachers and administrators, it would give the typical shooter pause. We know from Columbine that the first sight of a cop (who are armed) changed the perps movements and actions immediately.

Pirate96

Twelve Pointer
That's been tried after Columbine. Photo ID's required, metal detectors for every student entering.

Parents fussed, the students fussed, and it bit into a chunk of the early part of the school day.

I hate to say this but even if all this was required, all it takes is for the wrong kid to know about students who prop doors open, or how and when fire drills are scheduled, etc. There's no 100% safe school.

Evidently the school knew about the threat and still was able to get on the property.

Good recap of the culpability of the school system at the following link.

https://twitter.com/ThomasWictor/status/964017961668198407

mumbo_Pungo

Banned
Yeah..... obviously you have accepted the indoctrination and value perceived security over freedom.

Your simple mind thinks "restricting" an inanimate tool will accomplish anything.

The 2nd amendment guarantees us the means to oppose a tyrannical government

Do you understand that and the reality is they expected us to use tools to shed blood for the Tree of Liberty?

We need the exact tools the government has to oppose them. That means the M16 and the freaking tanks, nuclear weapons etc.

This pos was evil and premeditated murder. Banning an inanimate tool would have zero results. He would have found another way.

Nothing your beloved government can ever do to stop evil.

Apparently you didnt read anything i said. At no one point in my entire post did i say anything should be banned.

You just responded to and argued against something i never mentioned. Your tinfoil hat might be a little to tight.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Maybe it should be harder to obtain a ar-15 than a handgun. I can see the reasons people dont want to ban them, but anyone without a criminal record can walk into a store and have one in under an hour. There are common sense laws out there but the NRA will not give an inch because they are afraid it will lead to total loss of all guns. A mandatory 2-3 week waiting period for all guns is an obvious one. How would a law like that infringe on anyones rights? They should do background checks on high capacity magazines. Put a limit on how much ammo someone can buy at one time unless they have a certain licences or pass a back ground check. All of these are things that would help stop and or identify the bad people. They would at least put up red flags on people with suspicious behavior when it comes to purchasing rifles and ammo. Also the NRA takes russian money so screw them.

Lot of mumbo jumbo wrongs in this paragraph, but I see you believe these "common sense" actions would prevent what happened yesterday?

AR-15 restrictions above that of pistols? OK, let's blame the inanimate object. What happens when a lever action is used in the next shooting? Restrict .30-.30s too?

What red flags would have popped up on this subhuman on a background check? Nothing, no criminal record.

2-3 week waiting period? Nope, wouldn't have stopped this guy.

Oh yes, need more licences for purchasing ammo, etc? Would have had zero impact on yesterday's tragedy.

You're statist recommendations are simply based on emotional responses that check a block on "doing something". Yes, let's increase the bureaucracy, impede liberty and have ZERO effect on the next tragedy. Oh, when the next tragedy does occur (which it will because there is evil in the world) in spite of your new regulations, then the response will again be we have to do more "common sense" actions....ad infinitum.

Solution to yesterday? Increase school security appropriately according to the will/abilities of the local community, while understanding that evil individuals will still create havoc in society regardless of your "common sense" regulations.

Pirate96

Twelve Pointer
Apparently you didnt read anything i said. At no one point in my entire post did i say anything should be banned.

You just responded to and argued against something i never mentioned. Your tinfoil hat might be a little to tight.

So instead of banning something you said
Maybe it should be harder to obtain a ar-15 than a handgun. I can see the reasons people dont want to ban them, but anyone without a criminal record can walk into a store and have one in under an hour. There are common sense laws out there but the NRA will not give an inch because they are afraid it will lead to total loss of all guns. A mandatory 2-3 week waiting period for all guns is an obvious one. How would a law like that infringe on anyones rights? They should do background checks on high capacity magazines. Put a limit on how much ammo someone can buy at one time unless they have a certain licences or pass a back ground check. All of these are things that would help stop and or identify the bad people. They would at least put up red flags on people with suspicious behavior when it comes to purchasing rifles and ammo. Also the NRA takes russian money so screw them.

Yeah.... that is going to do nothing to stop anyone.

I was spot on in my assessment of your simple mind.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Laws with soft penalties do nothing. Get serious with penalties. For example you murder someone you die. For example you steal you get a hand cut off. Steal again lose another hand. If penalties are tough enough you will see some of this stuff stop.

Sounds a lot like Sharia to me.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've had a theory (totally unscientific or verifiable) for some time now that for every random sampling of 100,000 people there exist one potential whack-job. For every sampling of 750,000 to 1,000,000 there lurks an active or potential serial killer.

If that were in fact true, and let's say we even knew exactly who those people were, what would you do with them to prevent them from harming someone?

Pirate96

Twelve Pointer
I've had a theory (totally unscientific or verifiable) for some time now that for every random sampling of 100,000 people there exist one potential whack-job. For every sampling of 750,000 to 1,000,000 there lurks an active or potential serial killer.

If that were in fact true, and let's say we even knew exactly who those people were, what would you do with them to prevent them from harming someone?

Great point. Why not treat them like the hundreds of thousands of babies we allow to be legally murdered every year in the US?

Last edited:

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Great point. Why not treat them like the hundreds of thousands of babies we allow to be legally murdered every year in the US?

I'm sure a significant number of people would approve of that idea as long as they could be certain they weren't in the group being targeted.

nckeith

Ten Pointer

Well that’s very astute. In fact one could argue that the increase in school shootings is in fact a direct correlation to the increase in humans in America. Percentage wise it has increased as well. Could it be psychotropic drugs many kids are forced to take, general increase in depression and decades of ignoring youth quite possibly as well.
While I always worry and feel bad for these kids(victims that is),we really have to ask why this is happening. When I was a kid guns were more prevalent, kept around unlocked and in trucks and this happened less frequently for sure. Now I do know violent crime as a whole is less based on fbi data, but just like the going postal phenomena of the 90’s this is a new manifestation of isolated, unconnected youth that needs to be broken.
I think social media depresses kids even more due to pressure to look good, go to awesome places etc. I was too broke and ignorant to know
other kids had vacations in Hilton head and went charter fishing, trips to Disney etc.
It’s also understandable why many are uncomfortable with ar’s.
I’m not I bought three just this month, however,’each one of these incidents hardens the left and sways middle of the road folks as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pirate96

Twelve Pointer
I'm sure a significant number of people would approve of that idea as long as they could be certain they weren't in the group being targeted.

Sadly you would have to qualify it somehow to terminate someone like this while the Babies have no such system in place to protect them.

In this specific case supposedly the FBI was contacted last summer about this pos and his ill intent. Also the school evidently did not want this expelled 19 year on campus with a back pack.

The efforts need to be focused on both those areas, but doubt the truth ever comes to light and positive changes made.

This guy appears to be guilty as charged and it will be many years if ever before he is legally executed.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Sadly you would have to qualify it somehow to terminate someone like this while the Babies have no such system in place to protect them.

In this specific case supposedly the FBI was contacted last summer about this pos and his ill intent. Also the school evidently did not want this expelled 19 year on campus with a back pack.

The efforts need to be focused on both those areas, but doubt the truth ever comes to light and positive changes made.

This guy appears to be guilty as charged and it will be many years if ever before he is legally executed.

Kinda hard to arrest a guy that hasn't broken the law. Who is going to decide who the crazy people are, and who is going to agree to lock up free people based on the possibility that they may be a threat to society?

Every breathing person on the planet has the capability to be a harm to society. Every single one of us.

Pirate96

Twelve Pointer
Kinda hard to arrest a guy that hasn't broken the law. Who is going to decide who the crazy people are, and who is going to agree to lock up free people based on the possibility that they may be a threat to society?

Every breathing person on the planet has the capability to be a harm to society. Every single one of us.

They will determine that your DNA markers show a propensity to cause harm. Thankfully you took your children to Disney world so we have your DNA to prove it.

Orwell missed a few marks in 1984, but seems like the way we are headed.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
They will determine that your DNA markers show a propensity to cause harm. Thankfully you took your children to Disney world so we have your DNA to prove it.

Orwell missed a few marks in 1984, but seems like the way we are headed.

A modern day Hitler kind of a plan....

mumbo_Pungo

Banned
Lot of mumbo jumbo wrongs in this paragraph, but I see you believe these "common sense" actions would prevent what happened yesterday?

AR-15 restrictions above that of pistols? OK, let's blame the inanimate object. What happens when a lever action is used in the next shooting? Restrict .30-.30s too?

What red flags would have popped up on this subhuman on a background check? Nothing, no criminal record.

2-3 week waiting period? Nope, wouldn't have stopped this guy.

Oh yes, need more licences for purchasing ammo, etc? Would have had zero impact on yesterday's tragedy.

You're statist recommendations are simply based on emotional responses that check a block on "doing something". Yes, let's increase the bureaucracy, impede liberty and have ZERO effect on the next tragedy. Oh, when the next tragedy does occur (which it will because there is evil in the world) in spite of your new regulations, then the response will again be we have to do more "common sense" actions....ad infinitum.

Solution to yesterday? Increase school security appropriately according to the will/abilities of the local community, while understanding that evil individuals will still create havoc in society regardless of your "common sense" regulations.

Would you rather have a shooter trying to use a lever action or a semi auto ar-15? idk about you but id rather they have the lever action instead of the ar. I never said any of this would stop shootings. I do think it would make it harder for them to occur and with such lethality. You are also stating your opinion as fact. You have absolutely no clue how any of the laws i proposed would impact if that shooting would have happened or not. Nor do i now if it would have stopped it. I do however think something needs to be done. On one hand people want the government out of their lives and say laws wont help. Then they are at the same time yelling about we need to help the mentally ill to stop this? Earlier in the thread someone blamed obama for cutting health care to mentally ill. well which is it? do you want the government involved or not? Clearly the private sector has failed the mentally ill as well. cant have your cake and eat it too. Your "security" is another's freedom taken away. Again, cant have your cake and eat it too.

If were just going to make opinionated statements and claim them as fact i can do that too. The measures i proposed absolutely would have stopped the shooting and you have no clue what your talking about.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

We are all targeted..by mass marketing as well as others who monitor us every day. No harm at all comes to us except crazy amounts of popups and advertisements in our technology devices and mailboxes. "They" know more about us through algorithyms than we do about ourselves and yet there is always that "one" nutjob that seems to fall through the cracks, strange isn't it?

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'll speed this along.....

If we absolutely knew - with certainty - who had the "potential" or "inclination" to cause harm to others, we would have to trash the Constitution and the Bill Rights to deal with them effectively before the fact. In times past, numerous regimes have dealt with "trouble makers" so there's no need for us to reinvent the wheel.

But the bottom line is simply this; The price we must pay to live in a free and open society is we must exercise personal responsibility for our personal well-being. For a number of reasons, we (as a culture) have abrogated that duty to someone else and we're simply suffering the consequences.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Would you rather have a shooter trying to use a lever action or a semi auto ar-15? idk about you but id rather they have the lever action instead of the ar. I never said any of this would stop shootings. I do think it would make it harder for them to occur and with such lethality. You are also stating your opinion as fact. You have absolutely no clue how any of the laws i proposed would impact if that shooting would have happened or not. Nor do i now if it would have stopped it. I do however think something needs to be done. On one hand people want the government out of their lives and say laws wont help. Then they are at the same time yelling about we need to help the mentally ill to stop this? Earlier in the thread someone blamed obama for cutting health care to mentally ill. well which is it? do you want the government involved or not? Clearly the private sector has failed the mentally ill as well. cant have your cake and eat it too. Your "security" is another's freedom taken away. Again, cant have your cake and eat it too.

If were just going to make opinionated statements and claim them as fact i can do that too. The measures i proposed absolutely would have stopped the shooting and you have no clue what your talking about.

How about those evil shotguns that sling lead and copper death pellets by the hundreds at a time? Should we ban those too? Those seem like they could impact a crowd at a much higher rate than a single bullet from a cartridge fired gun.
Your logic on this subject is flawed and your common sense even more. Banning the spoon will not make you less fat.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
The private sector is creating medicine to help the mentally ill. The private sector allegedly reported this kid to the FBI. Lets assume the FBI did their due diligence and determined that they couldn't detain the kid based on what he might do?

I'm with Gadget on this one. How does a 17 year old kid from NY have a AR15? Surely NY has laws in place for this type of firearms transfer? All these laws fractured in this tragedy, and not a single law in place could stop this kid.

No law will ever stop this type of person. As long as there is carbon steel, there will be people that will can make guns.