Idiot

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
A few comments to address the "Why" question ......

Most people don't want to hear this, but the cheese starting sliding off our cracker in the 60's when we started actively and aggressively removing any reference of God from our culture. That reference is what defined America's greatness from our very beginnings but we've thumbed our nose at God.

We've aborted 50 million babies in the last five decades and now wring our hands wondering why today's kids have no respect for human life. Really?

We practice situational ethics in every part of our culture and then we wonder why today's kids seem bent on defining their own boundaries of what's right and wrong. Really?

Our leaders (at the highest level) practice corruption, deceit and favoritism and we wonder why today's kids have no respect for authority or the rule of law. Really?

I could go on and on ......

Our chickens are simply coming home to roost. The majority of Americans seemed pretty determined to make the decisions that have led us to where we are today as a culture, but it seems they lack the fortitude to live with the consequences.

As the old saying goes, "You can't have it both ways."

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
In response to Pirate 96 post about Wake County wanting the sheriffs department to look the other way in certain instances, the Florida school district in which this happened had instituted a similar policy with local Law Enforcement so as not o create a "pipeline from high school to prison" for minorities who were engaging in threats , assaults, drug possession etc.
This Cruz kid had been banned from bringing a backpack on campus. Had to keep his stuff in a clear plastic bag. WTF? Sounds to be he had brought something very bad on campus before and had not been properly punished for it. Don't exspel or prosecute poor Nicky. Make him expose what contraband he has on campus and tell him it's a "no,no".
I would love to know what he brought that instigated to book bag ban. Anybody want to bet it's never revealed what it was ?

I"m going out on a limb here and say I think I read, somewhere, that another student said that he had brought live ammo to school at some point. One round, a box, a magazine, who knows? If that was the case, someone would have had to have known about it and turned him in. I'm too lazy to check my source but I believe that is what it was.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
To me the question is what is the level of intrusion we will accept when it comes to background checks.....if you go to a metal health facility and get prescribed anti psychotic drugs should that automatically go to the NICS and show up if that person attempts to buy a gun? Where do we draw the line, how crazy/disturbed does someone have to be before we deny them their 2nd amendment right? Its a tough question, I firmly believe that over the last 20-30 years with the plethora of mood meds and drugging kids with ADHD etc along with just a more general violent society in general ( games, movies, music etc) has created this lack of empathy and compassion....kids were mean back in the day but they take it to a whole new level of cruel now. Not sure what the answers are but if these things keep happening the left and even the middle will go for the low hanging fruit....and we all know what that is.

I know I'm repeating myself again, I seriously think its how we raise boys now verse then. I'm not a parent and I'm only 30.

I think there is less emphasis for getting boys into "masculine pursuits..." My hometown football club shrunk by a few teams, parents far more worried about injuries.

Kids are really disallowed to fight, at all...I remember getting in trouble for hitting a kid back (its what Dad told me to do...) And somehow I don't think it would have happened that way 50 years ago.

They don't seem to have as much "unstructured time" where they can roam around unsupervised. They're less likely than ever to have the boogeyman do something awful but the media doesn't paint it that way...I remember my entire summer around first grade I spent in the swamp a 1/2 mile from my house, building a "bridge" with no other supervision than to hose off and not bring in the mud.

If you were nerdier/geekier/whatever, you were more likely to enjoy Dungeons & Dragons, or Sci-fi fantasy books, than disappear to the darker parts of the web...

Interestingly enough, if you drive through a poor-er part of a city, you will see kids out and about, hanging out...Some no doubt get into trouble or down the wrong path, but it seems that most don't...And you don't see mass shootings in these neighborhoods

If you go to a nice suburb you don't see as many kids playing outside in the street, park, etc...and you do there...

I wonder if there's something in the social development of kids needing to be unsupervised...

Last edited:

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor

Most people don't want to hear this, but the cheese starting sliding off our cracker in the 60's when we started actively and aggressively removing any reference of God from our culture. That reference is what defined America's greatness from our very beginnings but we've thumbed our nose at God.

We've aborted 50 million babies in the last five decades and now wring our hands wondering why today's kids have no respect for human life. Really?

We practice situational ethics in every part of our culture and then we wonder why today's kids seem bent on defining their own boundaries of what's right and wrong. Really?

Our leaders (at the highest level) practice corruption, deceit and favoritism and we wonder why today's kids have no respect for authority or the rule of law. Really?

Our chickens are simply coming home to roost. The majority of Americans seemed pretty determined to make the decisions that have led us to where we are today as a culture, but it seems they lack the fortitude to live with the consequences.

Good post !

Greg

Old Mossy Horns

Agreed ... and I think those are a HUGE part of it. I think adults have dropped the ball totally regarding discipline and holding people accountable for their actions.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^ you have a great point

When I was 11 or 12 I’d ride my bike along ways and stash it under a bridge and wade the stream fishing all day in the summer, I don’t see kids doing that nowadays. The unsupervised portion of a childhood is very important, like you the only thing my parents said to me was put the wet clothes on the back deck to dry

I’m not against violent movies or video games but they do have a rating for a reason and I don’t think a middle and high schooler should be shitting in front of a shooting game for hours and hours everyday

Go throw rocks, shoot at birds with a B.B. gun, scrape your knees up being a kid.... and put prayer back into schools

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
There are many contributing causes to these shootings.

However, I would bet that in absolutely no case of a mass shooting will you find in the home of the shooter a loving, caring, fully-engaged father.

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
I think its simple, its the fox in the hen house scenario. We have no way to remove mentally ill individuals from society until its too late (fox), we create imaginary "safety zones" by calling them gun free (henhouse). Notice I said calling them gun free, I can call myself a unicorn but that don't make it so.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
There are many contributing causes to these shootings.

However, I would bet that in absolutely no case of a mass shooting will you find in the home of the shooter a loving, caring, fully-engaged father.

Just reported that cops had been called to his home 36 times.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I agree with a lot of the previous posts about why. Broken homes, mental issues, drugs, both prescription and non, no father figure (or poor excuse of one), no morality both at home and out in the world, etc.,etc.

To stop it? IDK. As mentioned in a free society we run the risk of this. Someone H bent on killing will find a way. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't be prepared. Heck it is why most who CC, do. Odds are you'll never need it but if you do, you'd better be ready. So why in the heck don't we have armed teachers and armed guards and the schools locked? I lock my car and my house when I'm not home, why wouldn't I want my children to be secure when not in my company? The other thing to stop it is, action needs to be taken. Friends, the school, the police, THE FBI (as if they need more bad press) all knew he was unstable, but here we are. Inaction is sometimes as bad as action. All I do know is if this continues they will take our guns. A lot of people are pro, and a lot are anti, but most are in the middle and can and will be swayed by these type of events. I'm shocked it hasn't happened yet.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I agree with a lot of the above, and there probably isn't any easy answers. I say plural, because I believe it to be more than just one factor. One answer would be to do away with "gun free zones". WE all know, gun free zones only work with the law abiding, thus turning potential "sheep dogs" into "sheep" for the slaughter by the wolves who won't abide by the law. The trick is to get those with liberal utopian fantasy ideals to understand this. I wonder what would happen to a teacher who ignored the "gun free policy" and CCed and ended up thwarting such an attack as the Parkland shooting? Would he/she be lauded and praised, or would they be crucified by the law?

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I wonder what would happen to a teacher who ignored the "gun free policy" and CCed and ended up thwarting such an attack as the Parkland shooting? Would he/she be lauded and praised, or would they be crucified by the law?

I don't know of a specific case involving a Teacher, but numerous people have used guns to defend themselves in violation of some rule or company policy. What happened to them (after the fact) depended on their locale and which way the winds of politics and/or political correctness were blowing. In other words, they were either "Heroes" or "Zeroes", depending on which side of the fence you are on.

Jeff Cooper used to say Problem #1 is dealing with the deadly encounter. Problem #2 is dealing with officials in the aftermath. Problem #2 is irrelevant if you aren't able to deal with Problem #1 effectively.

Everything in life involves priorities, and how someone deals with their personal security is no different.

Last edited:

jim67

Eight Pointer
Amen!!! Preach it

People have accepted it and crave it.

False sense of Security.

Who thought that creating a gun free high school of 3,200 students and staff to "educate" said pupils would not be a target rich environment?

From all reports this pos pulled a fire alarm and started shooting. Never going to stop all evil.

The answer is not more laws and government intervention. The answer is a fundamental change in how we operate.

It will never happen as the majority of people will not sacrifice "stuff" to ensure that little Johnny and Suzie do not attend the large government indoctrination facilities called schools these days.
^^^^ YES!!! Sooo true. I may catch flack for saying what I'm about to say, but here goes. The Anti-American Left (the smart ones) (the ones in office) secretly do their "Happy Dance" everytime something like this happens, you know it, and I know it. These POS are nothing but Evil. Do you ever wonder why? lately? When I was in school, it was nothing to keep a 22 in the truck window and go squirrel hunting after school. Now this is going on, and on. Why? I blame our Government, because after all the Left has an agenda, their not stupid, we that let it happen are the stupid ones.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
In quite a few of those cases we weren't stupid. We even had a solid majority. What we had were 9 black robed oligarchs on the so called "supreme" court who decided to make law instead of just determining if it was constitutional.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
“FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. (WSVN) - Broward Sheriff Scott Israel has announced that the school resource deputy for Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School has resigned amid an internal investigation.

Israel made the announcement during a news conference Thursday afternoon.

According to Israel, Deputy Scot Peterson was on campus at the time of the shooting that killed 17 people.

However, Israel said video showed the deputy arriving at the west side of the building where the shooting took place. Peterson then took up a position but “never went in.”

The sheriff said the revelation made him “devastated, sick to my stomach.”

When asked what the deputy should have done, Israel replied, “Went in. Address the killer. Kill the killer.”

https://wsvn.com/news/local/sheriff-...ring-shooting/

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
“FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. (WSVN) - Broward Sheriff Scott Israel has announced that the school resource deputy for Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School has resigned amid an internal investigation.

According to Israel, Deputy Scot Peterson was on campus at the time of the shooting that killed 17 people.

However, Israel said video showed the deputy arriving at the west side of the building where the shooting took place. Peterson then took up a position but “never went in.”

When asked what the deputy should have done, Israel replied, “Went in. Address the killer. Kill the killer.”

Absolutely inexcusable. I can’t imagine.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I guess no one knows for sure how they will react until faced with that "moment of truth."

Still, you'd think that after 30+ years on the job, this deputy would have figured that out...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I guess no one knows for sure how they will react until faced with that "moment of truth."

Still, you'd think that after 30+ years on the job, this deputy would have figured that out...

he said retire..... chance I got shot....
I will run so I can retire....

He needs to be charged.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
he said retire..... chance I got shot....
I will run so I can retire....

He needs to be charged.
He very well may be charged.

I'm certain he and the sheriff's department will be sued by the parents of the victims

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Response to several sheriff offices offering concealed and tactical classes for teachers is overwhelming. One particular sheriff had over 500 applicants in the first 3 hours it was offered.
If anyone says that "nothing is being done" simply means that what their agenda is isn't being accomplished at the rate they want it to. "Something" IS being done, now whether or not it helps during the next crisis remains to be seen. Hopefully enough "somethings" are being done in the background that it will accomplish the goal of protecting our children at the school levels, we know if we waited for the government to agree upon what's supposed to be done that nothing would be accomplished in any sort of timely manner. They've proven that over and over again.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I'm seeing where some folks are saying we don't even have enough money to buy school supplies ... but we're going to "arm teachers" (??). NOW all of a sudden they are being "fiscally responsible"? LMAO. How about, "If it saves ONE CHILD? (Abortion issue aside).

This revelation just gives MORE strength to arming personnel already in place. Personnel that have REAL "skin in the game". I'll wager that the few willing and qualified personnel at each school in the USA who are already in those buildings ALREADY OWN at least one suitable firearm and are willing to be trained by local law enforcement agencies (who already do this sort of training) to potentially save their own lives and the lives of "their kids".

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Wow... you had the football coach and JROTC guys running towards the fire and this guy going the opposite direction. Unfortunately this guys pension payments will be protected from lawsuite under FL law. That's the reason OJ moved there.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
For the past few decades, the left liberals fought tooth and nail to change the way we raised our children.

Now they are desperately seeking to pass more laws to try to stop the monsters they created.