For the catfisherman

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
How you carry and what you carry for tackle?

At one time I carried a box full of rigs but still found myself tieing new ones fishing.
So I had a box full of rigs then other boxes full of rigging gear and extras.
It all comes down to only really needing beads, bumpers, few sizes and types of hooks, floats, swivels. .....

I have a built in box that is great for trays, would work fine for hooks weights, floats and all the gear needed along with line...It would free up not needing to carry so many tackle boxes and extras.

So how you all do it. Just carry pre tied rigs and weights to make it easy or carry all the rigging gear and full tackle...
Used pool noodles for rigs in the past but take room and dont take a lot of beating on a boat.
Still plan to do some land based fishing but more boat. Dont want to always need to off load gear from the boat. Just plan to leave the dry boxes on the boat and use another box for land based.

So what you carry and bow do you carry it?
Just talking catfish.

Last edited:
I pre-tie my rigs, I grab the hook and use three fingers to wrap the whole santee rig completed with a weight in a small ziplock bag. I then put all the small bags of rigs into a gallon ziplock. Works great for me and uses the least possible space. I carry a plano camo tackle bag with 4 trays, I only use two of the 4 trays provided. I lay them flat in bottom of tackle box and put spools of line, big bobbers, fish grippers, flash light, pre-tied rigs in gallon bag and everything else above the two trays then zip up and I'm ready to go. Pliers and scales go right into side pockets. So All my stuff is in one tackle box and always have everything I need. I use rod wraps to wrap 4 rods in each bundle and that helps for very easy tranportation to boat and from boat.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yep that is how I do my salt water and most my cat stuff now. I stopped using soft bags, wanted something that was waterproof and hard to protect stuff.

Some good thoughts.
thanks
Like the rod wraps, using the covers now and bet I could add the wraps to keep them in groups of 4 for easy carry.

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
when I am after small cats I just take a small plano box that has everything I need, but when I am after the big girls I carry

[video=youtube;jqvAx9rlTic]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqvAx9rlTic[/video]

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
when I am after small cats I just take a small plano box that has everything I need, but when I am after the big girls I carry

[video=youtube;jqvAx9rlTic]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqvAx9rlTic[/video]

Nice kit.

I wish I could fit it in a bag like that.
I have been using dry boxes and ammo crates for most of mine.
For land base I have been using a double side small box.
had room for hooks, lead, and all the stuff needed for live bait or punch bait.
Only thing extra was line. Other than that the boxes with most tools and gear or big floats stayed in the truck. Did have a small box I called a bait box. It has small hooks, weights, jigs..... to catch live bait when needed.

For some reason I alway carry too much gear. Most extras or stuff you only want a few times a year but better to have with you and not at the house wasmy thought.