Watauga County Hunting Lease Update

Southern

Ten Pointer
I posted earlier that I had an opportunity at a lease in Watauga County near Deep Gap. The tract is 100 acres of mature hardwoods and of course it is mountain land with steep ridges and valleys. No clear land but a few small flat ridge tops that could be cleared for small plots.

I am going to pass on this tract by myself due to the fact that it is not close enough to me to maximize. The price is also an issue. It is $25 per acre and they wont budge. They actually want $30 but I got them down to $25.

If anybody is interested in this lease or maybe splitting it with me, I would possibly consider going in on it. The owners do not want more than 1-2 people involved with the tract.

Just thought I would throw it out there. PM with any questions or commentary.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
25 acre for solid timber mtn land is on the high side unless it has some mixed habitat around it you may end up being real disappointed especially if its bad mast year maybe you could make some plots but if you don't have long term agreement you could end up spending lot and doing lot hard work that you may never benefit from. This is a pretty high demand area but usually see more like 15 and lower acre for mtn all hardwood land.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
For that kind of $$$$$$$$$$, it would have to have so many deer trails worn down deep crossing it the that you should be able to see 2-3 trails from anywhere you stop and look. Just sayin'

gameland

Twelve Pointer
I tried sending you a pm but your inbox is full. I sent you a message last month about this lease but maybe it didn’t go through. Will you pm your contact info please. I’m very interested. Thanks

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah really high not just for area but type of property but in parts state there are people happy to pay that. For that kinda cash you could get in really good club with low members and much better habitat and game opportunity

Last edited:

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
Depending on where it is in Deep Gap there are a few really big bucks...and by few, I mean a Few...no more than a few in the whole area but they are larger than your normal run of the mill NC buck in body size. Antlers may not be what you want though..

Southern

Ten Pointer
Yeah, I am thinking I am going to pass. I keep trying to talk myself into it but just don't think I will be able to get up there enough to maximize the cost or even half of it. I have too many places to hunt as it is, fortunately, but I hate to walk away from a lease but that is expensive and it is fairly steep land although it is pretty timber. If I cant have the chance at a sold 130 inch class buck I need to look elsewhere probably.

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah, I am thinking I am going to pass. I keep trying to talk myself into it but just don't think I will be able to get up there enough to maximize the cost or even half of it. I have too many places to hunt as it is, fortunately, but I hate to walk away from a lease but that is expensive and it is fairly steep land although it is pretty timber. If I cant have the chance at a sold 130 inch class buck I need to look elsewhere probably.
They are definitely in the 130 inch + range in that area...up to 150's...Again, there are not a lot but what is there is pretty big.

bb1970

Six Pointer
Not sure how many of you guys have hunted around that area but i have alot and leased land in and around that area since 93' and i personally have seen 150 ish deer there many times and a couple bigger than that this area in ashe, watauga, wilkes are great areas to hunt........and 25 an ac is a little high 17-20 is more of the norm ....i have a lease not far from where there talking about and i pay about 15 per ac and we take at least 1 - 130 every year some time 2-3..