.38/.357 ccw

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
3rd

Usually have this one near and have carried one since the early '70s.

Attachments

• wm_11995030.jpg
    wm_11995030.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 80

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Usually have this one near and have carried one since the early '70s.

Hi-Standard has fit well in my pocket for many years...great little guns.
26b3740d2f8f4fe8d1167fa98271d673.jpg

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Many years ago, I ran into a big city ER doctor in a bar and while we waited for the same flight, he told some stories of the ER.
Including one about the problems caused by 22 bullets roaming around inside of a patients chest cavity. According to him, a small RN lead bullet would sometimes glance off of a rib and circle a lap or 2 before stopping. This made a mess since there were so many bleeds that had to be stopped.
I already had a 22mag H-S a but hearing that tale re-enforced it's value to me.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Many years ago, I ran into a big city ER doctor in a bar and while we waited for the same flight, he told some stories of the ER.
Including one about the problems caused by 22 bullets roaming around inside of a patients chest cavity. According to him, a small RN lead bullet would sometimes glance off of a rib and circle a lap or 2 before stopping. This made a mess since there were so many bleeds that had to be stopped.
I already had a 22mag H-S a but hearing that tale re-enforced it's value to me.

I've seen firsthand .22 rimfire wounds, and they certainly can be deadly. I'm not opposed to carrying a .22WMR as a backup occasionally. They're better than being unarmed.

However, being deadly and being immediately incapacitating are different results sometimes. If the attacker bleeds out hours later due to a .22 ricocheting around his chest cavity, but wasn't put down relatively quickly....well. That's not a desirable result.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Note the title of my last post. Then watch a few of Clint Smith's videos, especially the "ankle guns"video.
3 is better than 2 IMHO.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Fireduck. Wife and I carry LCR and LCRx in 38 special. they are light. have a smoother trigger than any well smoothed smith j frame. But.....they are light. Regular 38s can be a handful if the bullet is heavier than 125g. 148g solid full wadcutters kick harder. +P feels like a harder kick than a full house 357 magnum in a medium steel frame gun..I wouldn't have an LCR or other super light weight in 357 magnum. The 38 is enough to learn to handle and remain proficient with. With an LCR the +P is manageable but is going to scare off a lot of folks and the 357 in an LCR just plain hurts and will likely keep ya flinching till you go back to 38s. Wife also has an lcp......she likes it better for recoil and compactness but less for racking the slide.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I ended up buying a Smith 642 Airweight.
So far I really, really like the gun. It rides well in the Desantis Nemesis holster I picked up with it, I think I saw that recommended on here too.

If anyone is considering one, I highly recommend this gun.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
My wife surprised me. She actually preferred my Colt Police Positive with 4” barrel to my buddies Taurus revolver (can’t remember the model, about J frame size). She also tends to like pistols around M&P Shield size better than things like the M&P Bodyguard or LCP. She says the little bit bigger guns seem to be easier to shoot and she feels like she has more control. I don’t think I’ll ever convince her to carry one regularly, but I know that if she did it would usually be in her car or in her purse, where the extra size wouldn’t be much of an issue.

hharke

Button Buck
Contributor
Great guns the SW small 38. Look at the crimson trace grips and buy a quality self defense load made for small 38s. Critical Defense is one load to look at.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Not a fan of the lasers. Just not for me.
That’s good advice on carrying a load for short barrels.
Carrying 130gr Rangers in it now. Waiting on the Gold Dot shortbarrel load to come back in stock somewhere.