.38/.357 ccw

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I bought my wife an LCP II last year in hopes it’d be easier on for to carry. Before that I bought a Shield 9mm, which she really likes. The issue with the Shield is that it’s still slightly too heavy for her to carry consistently. I carry it occasionally during the summer, but not very often. Great gun, but I’m more comfortable with Glock pistols.

She doesn’t love the .380, shoots it well, just doesn’t particularly like it. I’ve pocket carried it before, and it’s convenient, but I don’t love it either. A fine weapon, just not for me.

I’m considering selling the LCP and getting her a .38 revolver. Looking at the LCR and a few different Smiths.
I’d like to get a .357 Model, not necessarily to shoot .357 out of much, but I feel they’ll handle the recoil of +P .38’s better.
I also like the idea of her being able to shoot through a coat pocket or purse without fear of a malfunction.

Any input on likes/dislikes on smallish revolvers for CCW? Models recommended, and/or models to avoid?

Thanks!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
in my opinion,,,and that is ALL it is, my opinion

revolvers are the best self defense/concealed carry weapon for the non-expert user,,,,

easy to use,
easy to maintain,
no issue with misfires (just squeeze again),,
etc

go with a .38 version,,,generally smaller, easier to conceal,,,,unless she will USE the .357 then go for it

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
heck, most of the time I am carrying a revolver,,,and I expect I have as many or more rounds through a semi-auto than most (especially the 1911 variety),,,,

revolvers are just good clean fun!

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I have a Smith 624-2 that I carry a lot. I'm not a heavyweight myself and the gun is very easy to handle and control. It is hammerless so would be less of a problem for your mentioned shooting through a coat, etc.

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I have a Smith 624-2 that I carry a lot. I'm not a heavyweight myself and the gun is very easy to handle and control. It is hammerless so would be less of a problem for your mentioned shooting through a coat, etc.

2X with Crimson Grips

Why +P? After all, it is location. It is not a fun gun to shoot but great to carry.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
in my opinion,,,and that is ALL it is, my opinion

revolvers are the best self defense/concealed carry weapon for the non-expert user,,,,

easy to use,
easy to maintain,
no issue with misfires (just squeeze again),,
etc

go with a .38 version,,,generally smaller, easier to conceal,,,,unless she will USE the .357 then go for it

Hard to say it better than that
The problem I see with the 357 guns is the weight. They have a littke more size and weight. Sometimes enough to keep the old lady from CC. That is why I like the Air weight or air lite smiths. They work.
Carried them for years. Wife also CC a Air weight

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The laws of physics cannot be denied. Small guns are convenient, but that ease of carry comes at a price. Larger guns are easier to shoot, but that advantage will not be realized if it's not on you when you need it. If she can shoot the LCP well enough, and it has shown to be convenient enough that she will actually carry it, I wouldn't change a thing and here's why.

You have already outlined the conundrum perfectly in your post. Small guns are easy to carry, but are too often uncomfortable to shoot. Larger guns shoot better and easier, but are too often left at home.

In practical terms, a small 5/6 shot snub-nose revolver will not carry any easier than your Shield. Additionally, small DA revolvers are the most difficult guns on the planet to shoot well. They're certainly safe to handle and manipulate, but they're difficult to shoot well. Let me offer this as a point of context: I've never encountered a women that could shoot a small revolver well .... never. I have, however, seen the same women instantly improve by 100% when a small, short triggered pistol like a Glock was put in their hands.

I said all that simply to say this; If she needs to protect herself with it, the LCP only needs to be "comfortable" for the 7 rounds in the gun. Practice just enough to stay familiar with the LCP and shoot something else for fun.

Here's something to consider if you want to make a change ..... The Glock 42 (.380) is the best small gun compromise out there - hands down. I can hit with it out to 50 yards fairly easily. It's not as easy to carry in a pocket as the LCP, but for pretty much every other manner of carry it carries about as "small & light" as a defensive pistol can be. There were some glitches with early production guns but they've been ironed out.

Hope this was helpful.

A Note Regarding Skill

The terms "good" and "well enough" are relative when it comes to shooting. Here's a very simple 5-shot drill that will tell you pretty quickly if you possess any relative level of competence. Most people don't - the gun might as well be a rabbit's foot. Don't fool yourself ..... shoot the drill, see where you are and fix-it if necessary.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
A lot of those small guns, ladies have a hard time loading and unloading or just racking the slide.

So make sure you can function with gun in all aspects of shooting.
see far too many times people can not load or shoot the compact semi autos.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A lot of those small guns, ladies have a hard time loading and unloading or just racking the slide.

^^^ THIS ^^^ we shopped .380's for a long time for my GF. A lot of them she couldn't rack. She ended up with a Sig P238 because the slid is so easy and smooth to rack.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've gone through this with my wife as well, and these guys are spot on. She had a model 85 UL Taurus that she carried for a while, hated shooting it due to the snap even with standard .38 loads. It was a great little revolver and I really want another one, rated for +P but not fun to shoot in them.
She tried a Kimber .380 Micro due to the ease of the slide on the single action and liked it, until she shot it. Too light and hard to control. So now she has relieved me of my Colt PocketLite .380, it's a bit heavier, double action only and has the recoil spring that makes it super easy to shoot. She has learned the push/pull method of racking the slide and this pistol locks back when empty so it's easier to reload than some. This pistol is an older one that has NO SAFETY and a long, hard trigger pull which is a bonus for a person who doesn't practice much under stress. Something to consider when looking at a self defense carry firearm for sure.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Hard to beat a snubnose S&W 357, wife’s truck gun is a model 66 with a 2.5” barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

Yep. I just recently sold a pistol that I purchased for my wife because she had a lot of difficulty racking the slide and did not feel comfortable carrying it for that reason.

Edit: The Ruger LCR is a great conceal carry choice and has one of the better triggers in a small wheelgun. My mother carries one, she'll be 74 this fall and has no issues carrying, loading or shooting good defense ammo in her LCR.

<>< Fish

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yep. I just recently sold a pistol that I purchased for my wife because she had a lot of difficulty racking the slide and did not feel comfortable carrying it for that reason.

Edit: The Ruger LCR is a great conceal carry choice and has one of the better triggers in a small wheelgun. My mother carries one, she'll be 74 this fall and has no issues carrying, loading or shooting good defense ammo in her LCR.

<>< Fish

Yep you know I'm a Ruger fan boy....
The dang thing come along way after I was.long hooked on J frame smith.
If not I feel sure it would be an EDC... but I do carry a ruger along with my smith.... RLCP

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Yep you know I'm a Ruger fan boy....
The dang thing come along way after I was.long hooked on J frame smith.
If not I feel sure it would be an EDC... but I do carry a ruger along with my smith.... RLCP
Well, Clint Smith says to carry TWO full sized pistols instead of one full size and one compact [sometimes he even wears an ankle gun too].
Makes sense, kinda.
I have found that a 38Special revolver if the best thing to put in a woman's hand. No fancy +P ammo, just plain jane 125JHPs, go in and out of a purse easily[can be shot while in the purse], deadly at 3yds and they can shoot/train with them alot at the range without fighting a balky slide.
Hell, the older I get, the better I like a 38Special too.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Well, Clint Smith says to carry TWO full sized pistols instead of one full size and one compact [sometimes he even wears an ankle gun too].
Makes sense, kinda.
I have found that a 38Special revolver if the best thing to put in a woman's hand. No fancy +P ammo, just plain jane 125JHPs, go in and out of a purse easily[can be shot while in the purse], deadly at 3yds and they can shoot/train with them alot at the range without fighting a balky slide.
Hell, the older I get, the better I like a 38Special too.

I'm a fan of Clint Smith; I'm not sure how he carries all the stuff he does though. I carry that LCP occasionally in addition to my G19, that's enough guns for me.

All have made good points, and I appreciate them.
I think I'm going to let her try an LCR, shoot it, put it in her purse, and then compare it to the LCP and Shield.

In reference to the comment about the G42, I hadn't given much thought to that option. She carried and shot both the Shield and G43 before deciding she liked the Shield better. Maybe I'll try to get a G 42 for her to try as well.

Thanks again guys!

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Another thought/opinion on carrying a handgun for defense. This applies to everyone without bias to gender, experience with handguns or age.
Get professional, scenario based defensive firearms training.
Yep, no matter what you have done before, you will get huge benefits from professional training.
For those new to firearms, this is more important than even having a pistol, it is truly a necessity for women.
If you are paying someone to train you in any endeavor, you will pay attention and learn more/quicker than learning from a friend/family member.
Training is available in all metro areas and some of the best can be found in the middle of nowhere in NC and nationwide [Clint Smith's place comes to mind].
Taking some training WITH the wife/GF is a good bonding experience too. Same for the kids as they get old enough [there are well trained 10 year old competitive shooters out there].
I believe in training.
Revolvers are the defensive kings.
Stepping down now.

Last edited:

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm a fan of Clint Smith; I'm not sure how he carries all the stuff he does though. I carry that LCP occasionally in addition to my G19, that's enough guns for me.

All have made good points, and I appreciate them.
I think I'm going to let her try an LCR, shoot it, put it in her purse, and then compare it to the LCP and Shield.

In reference to the comment about the G42, I hadn't given much thought to that option. She carried and shot both the Shield and G43 before deciding she liked the Shield better. Maybe I'll try to get a G 42 for her to try as well.

Thanks again guys!

Most women really don't have the luxury of dressing around a gun like men do, hence the practical need for small guns they can conceal with fashionable clothes.

With very few exceptions, I view "off-body" carry and "truck guns" in the same light. The time it takes for most women to access a gun from their purse can be measured with a sundial, not to mention the fact that they separate themselves from their purses routinely .... sometimes for extended periods of time. But, the bigger issue is the probability that a crook may target the purse (arguably the most common crime committed against women) and now you've armed someone who previously wasn't.

Along those same lines, "truck guns" are the #1 source of guns for criminals - period. As the saying goes, "If I were King ......" that mindless practice would be a violation of the law.

The G42 is a totally different animal than the G43 as far as recoil goes. You wouldn't think there would be that much difference, but it is literally the difference between night and day. It's a very soft-shooting gun for it's size and I've never met a woman (or man) who couldn't shoot a striker-fired pistol reasonably well.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Along those same lines, "truck guns" are the #1 source of guns for criminals - period. As the saying goes, "If I were King ......" that mindless practice would be a violation of the law.

Why not go after the criminals and not the person that is doing everything within the law?
One more time people go after the legal owners to protest the criminals....
No need for it.

Next will be said the best way to keep guns out of the criminals hands is to ban carry of them, then ban ownership...

Your comments are about as anti gun as they come...
Good thing you are not King.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If I were King, there wouldn't be many repeat offenders so I'm not soft on criminals or am I anti-gun by any stretch. But, Rights (in all forms) have responsibilities attached to them ...... the more serious the Right, the more serious the responsibility. You can't have one without the other and to believe otherwise is the very essence of being a liberal.

ETA: In this country especially, we've got lots of liberals - who just happen to own guns - masquerading as something else.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
ETA: In this country especially, we've got lots of liberals - who just happen to own guns - masquerading as something else.

Yep most commonly those that have their guns and don't care if anyone else get another, so they don't care if there are gun bans.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
If you can find one get her a Colt Detective Special. I traded a LEO Sig 229 DAK for one that I planed to use as my BBQ gun but my wife has since claimed it.

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
Most women really don't have the luxury of dressing around a gun like men do, hence the practical need for small guns they can conceal with fashionable clothes.

With very few exceptions, I view "off-body" carry and "truck guns" in the same light. The time it takes for most women to access a gun from their purse can be measured with a sundial, not to mention the fact that they separate themselves from their purses routinely .... sometimes for extended periods of time. But, the bigger issue is the probability that a crook may target the purse (arguably the most common crime committed against women) and now you've armed someone who previously wasn't.

The G42 is a totally different animal than the G43 as far as recoil goes. You wouldn't think there would be that much difference, but it is literally the difference between night and day. It's a very soft-shooting gun for it's size and I've never met a woman (or man) who couldn't shoot a striker-fired pistol reasonably well.

Just touching on the part about a gun in the truck (and hope not to derail the thread too terribly). But you say the idea of a truck gun is mindless, I work in a place that I absolutely positively cannot have a gun on my person. But I still like to be armed as much as possible (ie my way to and from work). Leaving a gun in my truck most of the time is my best option for being armed as much as possible.

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

Sorry for the slight derailment here. As for most problems in life prevention is better than cure. There are good measures available to secure a "truck gun" in a vehicle if it just for the day or if someone leaves one in their vehicle for an extended period of time. Being diligent and responsible for what you leave in a vehicle should always be on your mind. Keep valuables out of sight, lock your doors etc. There's a local crime alert page on facebook for my county and it seems like every week people report that their vehicle broken into and then a few post later you find out the doors were left unlocked with a purse left inside and several of the stolen vehicles were found to have the keys left in the ignition. Doing those things is like leaving out a welcome mat for the bad guys/gals.

If you are of the mind to have a "truck gun" take a look at the various vehicle security products made for firearm storage. Tuffy Security Products makes one size fits most products and vehicle specific products that work.
https://www.tuffyproducts.com/

<>< Fish

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Agreed on women not often having the luxury of adjusting dress in regards to carrying a firearm.
I’ve tried and tried to get her to carry on person, and she does occasionally, but not consistently.
It’s tough in dresses and such.
Also, her job absolutely requires her to be unarmed when on the premises. I hate that law.
She can have a firearm in her vehicle, provided it’s locked up.

So, I see that truck guns are potentially accessible to criminals. I don’t make a habit of leaving a gun in my truck, but I do carry a truck gun when traveling. 10.5” AR pistol.
As to them being against the law, well, I think there’s too many gun laws now. Much less adding any additional requirements or regulations on carrying them. Either on body or in a vehicle or in your home.

Definitely going to check on a G42!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Just touching on the part about a gun in the truck (and hope not to derail the thread too terribly). But you say the idea of a truck gun is mindless, I work in a place that I absolutely positively cannot have a gun on my person. But I still like to be armed as much as possible (ie my way to and from work). Leaving a gun in my truck most of the time is my best option for being armed as much as possible.

Eric & Fish addressed the remedy with their timely posts (thank you gents) .... If you're forced to leave a firearm unattended (anywhere) just secure it somehow. There are many relatively easy ways to do it. At least do something with a padlock and a cable to keep the thing from being used against yourself if nothing else.

It didn't take but a small lapse in attention for that 2 year old toddler in Idaho to get his Mother's pistol from her purse and shoot her with it while they were shopping. I recall just a few years ago a young man coming home to evidence his house was burglarized. When he went to investigate, he was killed with his own Glock. This stuff happens all the time and if it can happen to someone else, if can happen to us.

Last edited:

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
Eric & Fish addressed the remedy with their timely posts (thank you gents) .... If you're forced to leave a firearm unattended (anywhere) just secure it somehow. There are many relatively easy ways to do it. At least do something with a padlock and a cable to keep the thing from being used against yourself if nothing else.

It didn't take but a small lapse in attention for that 2 year old toddler in Idaho to get his Mother's pistol from her purse and shoot her with it while they were shopping. I recall just a few years ago a young man coming home to evidence his house was burglarized. When he went to investigate, he was killed with his own Glock. This stuff happens all the time and if it can happen to someone else, if can happen to us.

Sure, I don’t disagree in the least. I suppose the main reason I posted what I did was to say that a gun that’s (at least mostly) a truck gun isn’t always a mindless practice, sometimes it’s just what you gotta do.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Training, training, training. Learn how to protect yourself and your family and get training for them as well.
Protecting your weapon is a big part of most professional training.
Stepping down again.

PS. I am not a trainer and cannot recommend any other than go to your local gun store and ask them.

Last edited:

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Slight thread derail:

This isn't much of a gun, but untold numbers of people (see below) have successfully defended themselves with one. You may have heard the old saying coined by my shooting mentor Jeff Cooper, "The first rule of gunfighting is - have a gun." Not adhering to Rule #1 is what gets you listed on a police report as a "Victim" more than anything else.

If you train with one of these little guns, you can do some pretty decent work with it inside of 10' and you can carry it virtually anywhere, regardless of clothing. It even fits in the small pockets of women's pants/jeans.

I've carried this one for about 30 years as a 2nd or 3rd back-up to my primary gun. It's ballistically equivalent to a .22 LR fired from a rifle length barrel so it's nothing to sneeze at. I shot a panel of soft body armor with it once using the CCI Maxi-Mag HP+V load and it penetrated about 7 layers of kevlar.

Sometimes, it's the best (perhaps only) answer for adhering to Rule #1 and everybody ought to have at least one.

The gun used in this case was a .22 LR model NAA mini-revolver. She shot him once in the chest and he was DRT. The thug was a Rapist & Murderer and she literally saved her own life. Oh, the thug also happened to be over 6' tall and weigh over 250 lbs.

http://privateofficerbreakingnews.blogspot.com/2011/07/sc-motel-clerk-kills-armed-robber.html
http://fourwinds10.com/siterun_data/government/us_constitution/gun_control/news.php?q=1311784821

Last edited: