Turkey hunting vest

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
What is a good turkey hunting vest for a good price? I looked at the expensive ones and some of them look hot and bulky for late season hunting.

What kind do you recommend?

mullet dredge

Six Pointer
I retired my old original Bucklick Creek vest last year and purchased a Cabelas Tactical Tater 2. Been happy with it so far. Enough pockets for all you need but not too many pockets that make you feel like you have to fill them all up and tote a bunch of useless stuff around. Wouldnt say it is either hot or bulky, pretty form fitting actually with lots of adjustment straps. Although, I do miss the structured seat of the Bucklick Vest from time to time.

Want to say I paid around $100 for my Cabelas vest last year about this time.....a little spendy but feel like I got more than my moneys worth out of it last season.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I love my mossy oak super elite. But I can't find any link to share with you. Maybe it's been discontinued.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I love my mossy oak super elite. But I can't find any link to share with you. Maybe it's been discontinued.

I saw that there was a new Super Elite 4.0 in the Macks Prairie Wings catalog I got yesterday, but it is pricey. They all seem to be these days. Still getting by with my old Super Elite 2 that is worn so thin that I dont get hot anymore [emoji4]

But if it is super warm I go with my $30 gobbler lounger and $30 TomTeaser bag, really lite for carrying and much cheaper than the vest are now. Either way I never carry much with me to the woods anyways.

Last edited:

1gonewrong

Six Pointer
I have tried 3 vests and all were too hot. They do come in handy when carrying a turkey out of the woods but since I don't use decoys and only carry two calls I don't use one anymore. Better to just sling the turkeys I kill over my shoulder and carry it out.

hoyt85

Six Pointer
Cabelas Tactical Tat'r 2 or Alps Grand Slam vest. I've not worn the Alps but a friend of mine loves his. I've hunted the Tat'r for the last 4 seasons. It's been a good vest, starting to fade just a touch and a few rough spots here and there but I've gotten my money out of it. It has plenty of pockets for whatever you would need to carry. Also, with the Alps it has the kickstand feature, so it can be used without leaning against a tree or it can be completely removed from the vest.
t l

Last edited:

gobbler

Eight Pointer
i hunt the ol tom cotton vest, i really really like it, i also have a time and motion essentials 2.0 that is the lightes coolest vest i have ever iwned but i just dont like how the pockets line up when i sit down

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I have tried 3 vests and all were too hot. They do come in handy when carrying a turkey out of the woods but since I don't use decoys and only carry two calls I don't use one anymore. Better to just sling the turkeys I kill over my shoulder and carry it out.

that is the way it is meant to be.

that turkey head bouncing has been described as the SECOND best feeling in the world. :)

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
For me a vest is a have to I hunt as much as 2 plus miles from truck no way carrying one out over shoulder I've had mine for 18 years shame they dont m ake em anymore I wish id bought 2. Its about shot so I'm looking at the ol Tom may go ahead and pick up in March I my self dont buy unless I try it on and check the pockets, seat, and game bag can't hardly tell my pics whether it fits you. If you have the chance id go try some before id order one

Last edited:

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
49d1d52d36e158e27ac9d08a03999a5e.jpg
this vest may be a little more than your looking for but this thing is sweet and how will people know you are tenth legion if your not wearing original bottomland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I dont carry all that much in with me. Between my pants and jacket I didnt need much more so I got a turkey belt. It's pretty much a turkey hunting specific fanny pack with a seat. That with a small decoy bag is all I need.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
i hunt the ol tom cotton vest, i really really like it, i also have a time and motion essentials 2.0 that is the lightes coolest vest i have ever iwned but i just dont like how the pockets line up when i sit down

I have used an Ol Tom essentials vest for 9 years (I think?), and it's about worn out. I put a premium on being cool above most other factors. I hate sweating. It works good for me, but when you load it down, you realize that the straps don't have any padding. That's pretty much only noticeable when I'm hauling out a turkey. Pockets are good, but not as well-secured as some newer designs.

I will probably go with a little more shoulder padding the next go round, but if you don't carry a ton of gear and like staying cool, I think the Ol Tom is a good one.

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
49d1d52d36e158e27ac9d08a03999a5e.jpg
this vest may be a little more than your looking for but this thing is sweet and how will people know you are tenth legion if your not wearing original bottomland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought one of these last week and I love it. Awesome vest for sure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I retired my old original Bucklick Creek vest last year and purchased a Cabelas Tactical Tater 2. Been happy with it so far. Enough pockets for all you need but not too many pockets that make you feel like you have to fill them all up and tote a bunch of useless stuff around. Wouldnt say it is either hot or bulky, pretty form fitting actually with lots of adjustment straps. Although, I do miss the structured seat of the Bucklick Vest from time to time.

Want to say I paid around $100 for my Cabelas vest last year about this time.....a little spendy but feel like I got more than my moneys worth out of it last season.

The original bucklick creek loungers were the BOMB. Still have my OOOOLLLLLLDDDD one for banging around the woods dog training.

My wife got me the new BassPro licensed Bucklick creek lounger about 6 years ago. They're still $100. Worth it though...
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead-bucklick-creek-turkey-lounger-vest-for-men

I don't ever get hot in it. Rarely carry decoys anymore but it's light and I have plenty of room for calls, headlamps, food and water since I find myself WAYYY away from the car pretty regularly in the mountains when going after a hot bird.
I use the game bag to carry my rainsuit. Rainsuit runs double duty for pop-up storms and my full camo when I start working a bird. I do all the walking around in Carharts and a t-shirt.

Taproot

Totally agree. I have tried a few others but keep going back to my Mossy Oak Super Elite. It is discontinued but I bought up several on a clearance deal. The Tenzing pack looks nice but I don't see any reason to let go of my old reliable vest.

Last edited by a moderator:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I used the Tenzing upland vest this year for bird hunting, and it's perfect. Whoever designed it did a great job. Looking at their turkey vests, I'm not sure if they are as good of a layout or not, but I'm sure it's top quality.

I'm surprised there aren't more hydration compatible vests. It's not quite as important in a turkey vest, but I won't buy a pack without it anymore.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I got a vest - it's 20+ years old -,forget who made it

Prefer a possibles bag, but then I don't carry 40-11 calls at one time and my butt has enough padding

Blades

Six Pointer
I went with a cheap vest on amazon, Primos Strap Turkey Vest; about 40 bucks. It's lightweight/breathable/good pocket space/butt pad. I'm younger so I don't really mind packing in heavier while hunting as I will usually ditch my backpack at a central location where one of my natural blinds are.

I ditched the heavy decoy's and went with Montana collapsible 3d decoys so i could easily put in my vest.... just got sick of toting the clunky plastic/rubber ( I do love my funky chicken decoy though, works really well!)

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I still wear the HS Strut I got when I first started.. I have tried on others and I like a lot of the seats better but yet to find one that I like the pocket lay out as good on.. I will wear it out and have to change at some point but so far every bird I have killed has been in that vest.

BTW, that pouch on the back of mine has never carried a bird, but if you hunt mid-west in the spring it has carried the morning BRR cloths a time or three once the frost or snow melted.

Last edited:

mullet dredge

Six Pointer
I put my paws on the new Nomad MG vest today.....nice rig but I got to say I believe I prefer my Cabelas Tactical Tatr over the Nomad. I do dig the old school Mossy Oak Greenleaf though...

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer

Second the time and motion. very light and breathable vest. not alot of experience with other vests but the ol tom has been great for me so far. my one complaint is the box call pocket on the outside. it uses elastic instead of a drawstring. you can take out the back pad and replace it with a camelbak if needed, which is a cool little hack...not sure of that was intended or not but its useful.

Last edited: