Scope for Marlin 336

mullet dredge

Six Pointer
Hello all.....first post here. Nice to run across this site, seems to be a wealth of info.

Last year, I picked up a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. Mid 1960's model. Shot a few deer and hogs with it this winter with the open sights...really enjoyed carrying and hunting with it. My A-bolt spent the season tucked away in the safe!

Anyway, would like to add a scope to it for next season. Mostly hunting in the woods and some small fields and food plots, 75yds or so max shots.

Any recomendations on glass as well as preferred mounts and rings would me much appreciated.....

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I'm a big fan of the Leupold 1-4x20 on a lever gun. Second would be 2-7x33.

I still have the first scope I bought in the 90s on mine, a Leupold vari-x ii 2-7x33. Been tempted to send it in just cuz it’s not very pretty but the durn thing works so well and it was literally the first scope I ever bought, worked all summer to save up for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
DNZ Gamereaper mount if you plan to leave the scope on all of the time.

Weaver scope base and Leupold QRW rings if you want the option of using the iron sights and the scope. The QRW rings are quick release and return to zero really well.

For scope choices I'd look at 1-4x20 scopes if you want a lighter and lower profile setup. Buying an older quality 4x scope from Burris, Leupold or Redfield and using that wouldn't be a bad choice either.

<>< Fish

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've got a 3-9x40 leupold VX2 on mine and I really enjoy it as a woods deer rifle. Could be good for hogs for sure. It's a little much, but I hunt with it often when I will have 100 yards shots. The 2-7x33 would be my 1st option though all things considered.

JakeH

Four Pointer
Big fan of Leupold bases and rings here. I&#8217;d have a 1x4 or 2x7 on it....can&#8217;t really go wrong with Leupold, Zeiss Terra, or Vortex.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I like the iron sights on my 336, but if I were to scope it I'd probably go with a 2-7 or 4x. I recently put a 2-7 on a 308 and I love it, low enough for as close a shot as you can get, but plenty of magnification if you do want to reach out a little too.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
1x4 or 1.5x5 or 1.75x4.5 are what I put on those types of short distance guns.

This................you do not want something that goes up to 7 on these guns...not needed and when you get over 5x the scopes are tooooooooobig for the gun. hey look out of balance and they are out of balance plus they just look bad. I have a 1.5 -5 on a 35 Remington 336

Last edited:

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What's your budget?

2-7x32 would be my choice. That's whats on my 300blk woods gun.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Here's a 2x7 on my Marlin, I don't think it is out of balance or looks bad.

413309590.jpg

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Personally, I don't see the need for anything over 4-power for a 150-200 yard cartridge like the .30-30/.35 Rem.

Not too long ago, a 4x optic was considered adequate for shots out to 300 yards or more. Funny how the changes in readily available technology influence people's perceptions and beliefs.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Personally, I don't see the need for anything over 4-power for a 150-200 yard cartridge like the .30-30/.35 Rem.

Not too long ago, a 4x optic was considered adequate for shots out to 300 yards or more. Funny how the changes in readily available technology influence people's perceptions and beliefs.

concur,,,my favorite "woods" scope is in the 1-4 and 1.5-5 range,,,,,,or just do a fixed 2.5x etc,,,,

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/998758/leupold-fx-ii-ultralight-rifle-scope-25x-20mm-wide-duplex-reticle-matte

mullet dredge

Six Pointer
Thanks for all the replies and thoughts. This is a tiny little rifle and I agree that a larger objective scope may look out of place. All my current scopes are 40 and 50mm Leupolds. I have heard/read good things about Vortex and their warranty. I like the idea of smaller objective and less magnification, given the conditions this rifle will be used in. Good to hear other opinions and narrow it down a little bit.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
How old are your eyes?

I'm 60 and wear bi-focals with +3.50 diopters of correction for my near vision. No scope of any magnification will enhance your visual acuity.

If I was shooting prairie dogs at 200 yards I'd want more than 4x, but I certainly don't need more than that to hit the vitals of a deer.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
just my opinion those scopes are too big on a lever gun. but to each his own.

Oops! Wrong picture. I just realized that photo was taken when it wore the 4x Leupold instead of the 2x7 that it has now. Since the scope pictured is actually a 4x, does it still look too big?

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Oops! Wrong picture. I just realized that photo was taken when it wore the 4x Leupold instead of the 2x7 that it has now. Since the scope pictured is actually a 4x, does it still look too big?

Too me, yes. But if you like it that is all that matters. I said I would never ever scope my 94 but with me being 54 now I just bought a side mount. Talk about ugly. Those things are ugly.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

Looks like a perfect fit to me. Those older M8 4x scopes are still some of my favorites for hunting.

<>< Fish

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Looks like a perfect fit to me. Those older M8 4x scopes are still some of my favorites for hunting.

<>< Fish
I agree, and have two of them now that are not mounted on rifles, including an early "plum" colored one. On my 1894C I have a vintage 2.75x Redfield that seems just perfect for that smaller rifle IMO.

Last edited:

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
...I said I would never ever scope my 94 but with me being 54 now I just bought a side mount. Talk about ugly. Those things are ugly.

I know what you mean, but at some point function has to overrule form. I hated to take the Lyman aperture off my 1894C, but aging eyes required me to add a scope.

379688998.jpg

22LR

Twelve Pointer
I have a set of DNZ Game Reaper. mounts and a set of see through mounts for a marlin 336 I will sell for $50.00 if that will help.