Long term storage of components, loads, and guns?

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
Components are stored in the house with no real special protection. Loads and guns are stored in locked areas and I put a bag of Moth Balls in the storage area. (When making steel components for GE Electrical, one of their specifications was to box the items and include one (1) Moth Ball per cubic foot of container space on these small steel parts.)
For me a dehumidifier would not work, as in where would the water drain to?

What do you do or recommend?

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Some use a Goldenrod to eliminate moisture but can use a simple 25-40wt light bulb in a single ceramic outlet made for about $5.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I use the Goldenrod as well, which is a dehumidifier. My understanding is it prevents it from getting humid inside your safe to start with, so there is no water to go anywhere. At least, I've never seen any water. I guess the moth balls couldn't hurt.

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
Thanks.
I do not have a way of installing a 120V outlet in the safe. Hoss nailed what the Golden rod does, keeps the items from sweating. It does not remove moisture, but increases the air temperature, thus lowering the relative humidity.
So far the Moth Balls have been working and I have not seen any issues, but I was wondering what others did.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
Some people use cans of desiccant in safes...simply take them out periodically and put in warm oven to remove moisture and restore. The goldenrod uses low heat to maintain warmth in the safe to prevent condensation. Most safes have a knock out or grommet to allow power cord access and goldenrods are shipped with the plug separate and you attach it after running wire through access hole/grommet.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Look at EvaDry E-333 Renewable mini dehumidifier - $14.97 from Amazon.
Plug in standard outlet to recharge, then back in the safe.

Depending on the time of year - I can go anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks between having to plug it in to recharge. I typically leave plugged in overnight and then back in the safe.