Youth gun?

duckhunterwst

Eight Pointer
Hey guys i am looking for ideas for my 9 year old. I have seen some adults on here hunt with a 410. I hunt with a 12ga. My boy weighs 100lbs and i wonder if he could handle a 20ga. Also for him what size shot and shell length.

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
Mossberg bantam 20 gauge. My son and both daughters started out using it. My nephew used it last year and he’s very small framed. 10 years old but barely pushing 85lbs

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
H&R Pardner youth pump won't break the bank and you can add a full sized stock when he is ready for a longer stock. I have one that is used for home defense and taking youths in my family hunting. There's a local shop that has them for less than $160

<>< Fish

GTO ONE

Eight Pointer
Agree with the Mossberg 500 and Bantam. My son and daughter both took their first turkeys with one of each...

gobbler

Eight Pointer
my 10yr old cant handle a 20 ga well but a 410 is perfect for him, he totes the same mossberg 410 pump i carried at his age, order u some federal tss fir it and go kill some birds

Game On

Four Pointer
My 8 year old shoots a Remington 870 Compact Youth. Great gun. I highly recommend. Its like 2 inches shorter than standard youth. Will take regular 870 furniture when he is ready.

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
C34B4E3A-1B0C-4851-AB3F-5DDF75D48600.jpg
Mossberg 510 mini super bantam, comes with shims to add as they grow. My son is 9 and started using at 6. If they can hold a red Ryder, they can shoot this. My goal was for my son to be able to shoulder, and shoot himself without any assistance from me. Only complaint I have is it may as well be a single shot, the pump action is too stiff for any kid to get a follow up shot.

gobbler

Eight Pointer
just cause he can lift the gun doesnt mean he can take the recoil, worst thing you can do is make them afraid to pull the trigger

duckhunterwst

Eight Pointer
View attachment 59534
Mossberg 510 mini super bantam, comes with shims to add as they grow. My son is 9 and started using at 6. If they can hold a red Ryder, they can shoot this. My goal was for my son to be able to shoulder, and shoot himself without any assistance from me. Only complaint I have is it may as well be a single shot, the pump action is too stiff for any kid to get a follow up shot.

That is sweet! He killed any turkeys with it yet?

Packfan

Eight Pointer
I’ll second (or 3rd) the Mossberg Mini bantam 20 ga. Mine kid rests his gun on a Caldwell deadshot fieldpod and stands up to shoot inside of a bold for now. Little to no recoil on a 7 year old with Federal 2 3/4 shells. Kid dropped a bird last year at 7 years old and he didn’t realize that he had shot. Bird didn’t even flop.

Now that little gun with 3” shells and no rest kills my shoulder.

At just a couple of months after his 8th birthday the gun was to heavy for him to try shooting skeet and dove hunting so that’s something to think about. A little single shot H&R .410 was perfect for that application.

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
Yes, got his first at 7 yrs old. Hal&#8217;s TSS loads are amazing. Has since taken a few doves, and missed some ducks and crows. It&#8217;s light enough he can shoulder and aim very easily now. He is 9, and he just got to where he could do that in the last year.

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
Agree. I had my boy practice often with #8-9 2 3/4 shells on a rest. Little to no recoil, put in the TSS turkey hunting and like everyone else never feels recoil due to the adrenaline of the hunt. I personally shot various loads before letting my kid practice.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you can, i would look at a gas semi auto. Only guve them one shell if you want to limit them. The light 20 pumps and single shots might as well be a 3.5&#8221; 12 gauge