RE:Airbow - Anyone Using One?

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hey! I LOVE compound bows! (The risers off the older ones can be converted into some killer trad bows....)

That's an old Hoyt Pro Vantage, Centaur longbow limbs....

Attachments

• Hoyt2.jpg
    Hoyt2.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 76

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
"during traditional archery seasons".....sure is a poor choice of words

I read it differently. It depends on how the "traditional" part is used. If traditional archery season, then it would definitely fit as in when archery season traditionally falls. If traditional archery season then you are absolutely correct!

I suspect the first emphasis was the intention, and could have been phrased differently.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Watch those limbs Bud, one of the 2 bows that have ever blown up in my hands was a Cobra. Shooting another guys new bow in camp at Santee NWR in 1983 and a limb delaminated, left a nice little strawberry birthmark on the side of my lucky lucky face.:skeerd::skeerd::skeerd::D
:)

Just bought a wheel bow Sunday.

A nice old Browning Cobra circa 1981!! :p

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had a Bear SilverMag compound riser blow up on me just last Saturday. Luckily it hit a hard spot, my head. Narrowly missed my left eye, drew pretty good blood, and gave me a heckuva headache for about 24 hours. It was one of the old sand cast risers I suspect and the last one I'll use. Discovered a sizable void where it failed.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I will hate on the airbow. It has no place in archery season. It is not even in the same universe as a bow. So I will hate on!!

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Now how could anyone spot a blemish on THAT face? :p
Oh, it's gone now but it ran from my hairline to my collarbone, just missed my right eye too.
I was a lucky man that day.
BudB, don't take my post as a knock of all Browning bows, my son is still shooting my circa 1990 Browning bow and he loves it, as I did for about 15years.

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
Watch those limbs Bud, one of the 2 bows that have ever blown up in my hands was a Cobra. Shooting another guys new bow in camp at Santee NWR in 1983 and a limb delaminated, left a nice little strawberry birthmark on the side of my lucky lucky face.:skeerd::skeerd::skeerd::D

This thing is about 35lbs. It MIGHT be able to cast a 350-400gr arrow about 100 yards or a bit further. HAAAAA!

I bought it for sentimental reasons. I took my first deer with a 50lb Cobra back in 81. I sold it, regretfully so, in 93.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
It is not a bow plain and simple. If you cant see that there is a serious problem with your train of thought.

So?

Again how is your hunting ruined if airbows are allowed in archery season?

Are you afraid it’s a step towards abolishing archery seasons?

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
We were told the world was going to end when crossbows were legalized in archery season.

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
Archery, by its origin, is an arrow propelled by an arc we call a "bow", i.e. a bent stick (in olden times) through the use of a string to create the arc and transfer the energy to the propelled arrow. The "airbow" is essentially an airgun or arrowgun. Even though the manufacturer calls it a bow, a bow it is not. A recurve, longbow, selfbow, compound bow and a (gasp!) crossbow are all bows. Many did not want crossbows in archery season, but, it does fit the basic definition of archery and of bow. It predates the compound by several hundred years.

I'll stick to my recurves, longbows, and stickbows for archery season. Maybe even a wheelbow one day. :)

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Virginia legalized air bows during archery seasons for handicapped hunters with permit