Which ruger mark IV?

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
I’m going to buy one...mostly plinking, maybe the occasional critter...never had a mark or 22/45...is there any model from those lineups that is a clear winner? Any need to buy more than the standard?

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Don’t have one YET, but I really like the looks ....

Attachments

• 12C88436-3C5F-4F08-934B-7F27525E7E3B.jpeg
    12C88436-3C5F-4F08-934B-7F27525E7E3B.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 163

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
You won’t be unhappy with the 22/45 Target.

I love mine. Can ring an 8” gong at 100 yards with it no problem.

Fun fun.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Don’t have one YET, but I really like the looks ....

I have this one, only in the bronze color. I guess I just got a bad one because it will jam at least once with any mag and any ammo. I have 3 mags and it jams on all of them. I'm sure Ruger will fix it, but I just haven't contacted them yet. I haven't heard of anyone having this problem, so I guess it's just mine. I have an older MKII stainless bull barrel that'll shoot anything all day long.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I have a Mkii Competition from some years back with a 2x scope that I use for squirrels sometime. If they have gotten any better over the years then it is more than scary accurate. Mine shoots dimes at 25 yds. all day long.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ive got a mark iv lite in the bronze color. I could be wrong on this, but i think the picture above is a mark iii lite. They have changed the colors. I personally wanted the green, but they were unavailable in the mark iv like i wanted. The ruger website shows the ones available for mark iv.

I liked the bronze....i have a thing about the color orange. Dont know why but that is my color. I really like the greyish blue.

I had to change the rear site and ruger sent me one in the mail. It was just too loose tolerance wise. The gun has been flawless functionality wise.

Ruger has stated that these “lite” guns will not be as accurate as others. I have not noticed that. I think it is an excellent trade for the lightweight anyway. Sighted mine at 25 yards and you are still able to hit 1” orange dots. That is better than i am as a shooter.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I can not bring myself to the new line up of MK3 and up.
I really like the MKll line up of the 6 7/8" Gov. or the 5.5 bull

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
" I could be wrong on this, but i think the picture above is a mark iii lite."

I missed that. It isn't a MK IV because the pivot pin on the front is missing.

This is my MK IV.

With Vortex Venom - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I really like the early models but have a 22/45 that shoots any ammo and is more than accurate enough to hit clay pigeons at 100yds [with a good rest].
I have a bull barrel MK-ll that will consistently punish golf balls at that range with Winchester white box ammo.
They are great guns, as are their sisters, the Ruger 10-22s.
Everybody needs to own 1 of each IMHO.

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I have Mark III hunter 6 7/8" fluted barrel and it is one of my most favorite guns to shoot. I have added sights, Red Dot, small scope, but I like using just the plain open sites. I also found this gun to be a great gun for someone who might be gun shy and is thinking of getting into shooting. Only down side is it a real pain to disassemble and reassemble. It just seems like it takes me a couple of tries in reassembly.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have Mark III hunter 6 7/8" fluted barrel and it is one of my most favorite guns to shoot. I have added sights, Red Dot, small scope, but I like using just the plain open sites. I also found this gun to be a great gun for someone who might be gun shy and is thinking of getting into shooting. Only down side is it a real pain to disassemble and reassemble. It just seems like it takes me a couple of tries in reassembly.

You probably know this already, but ease of assembly/disassembly is the beauty of the MK IV. Literally push a button and it comes apart, and goes back together just as easily.

For my own information and to also maybe help the OP with his question, I shot my MK IV 22/45 Lite and my MK II Tgt Stainless this afternoon to compare accuracy.
The MK IV is wearing a Vortex Venom and the MK II with open sights.
I shot from a makeshift rest at a paper target at 25 yards.
10 shot groups with the MK IV were smaller, but not by much, and only because of the Vortex Venom. I'm 72 and I can see the red dot of the Vortex so much better than the open sights.
The MK II has a MUCH better trigger and is more enjoyable to shoot. I was wearing the Lite in a belt holster and couldn't even tell it was there. The Mk II Tgt was in a chest holster and very noticeable.
I believe if I were buying again, I would buy the MK IV Tgt and put a Vortex Venom on it (which is easily put on and off). That would be awesome, except for the weight.

Last edited:

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
I have a S&W victory, much cheaper, very well made and 100% reliable so far with CCI mini mags or federal bulk. Comes with nice fiber optic sights and a scope rail. Very easy to dissasemble and clean thoroughly.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just heads up for everyone, the federal champions have been excellent for me. Cci is flawless like always, but the federals are doing great at a much cheaper price for shooting.

I had one fail to fire out of 500 and it fored the second time.

I have had very poor results with some of the remington .22s in recent years.

hayco10

Eight Pointer
I agree with the previous posts about the mK II being hard to reassemble. The new model fixed that.

Last edited:

hayco10

Eight Pointer
I may know somebody that has one for sale or trade. Pm me your contact info, and I will have them contact you if you want.