Hunting w Dogs in Yancey County

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Hey y’all thanks for the access to this forum. I am new to hunting at 32 years old. I was raised by liberals who put it in my head that guns were to be feared and that only hunting with a bow is admirable...but I wasn’t allowed to do that either. Anyways, thank god for a free country where I can do what I want! So I’ve started hunting. I’m an avid fisherman(mostly smallies and Trout) but I’ve poured my heart and soul into hunting this past season and loving every minute. I live in Yancey county and bear hunting with hounds is such a big part of
The culture here obviously. I just wanted some feedback about asking folks to tag along w them for a hunt. For those of us that didn’t grow up in it, it can make us pretty envious seeing everyone at the general store with their dog boxes at 6 am getting ready for a hunt. One thing I’ve learned this season is how to not step on other sportsman’s toes and I wanted to know if it’s frowned upon to ask folks about going on a hunt w them. I absolutely fascinated by hunting dogs in any capacity...but I’ve been dying to see someone work w their bear dogs and YouTube only offers so much excitement

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I can tell you that bear hunters in the mountain area is a close nit group. And with past experiences even more so, a stranger will be met with skepticism, once locals get to know you the chances of you being allowed to tag along on a hunt are greater. You may be interested in starting out with coon hunters who many times have connections to bear hunters and working your way up.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
NCC is spot on here, those folk up where the ground ain't flat don't trust ANY outsider
If I was you, I would start Monday by being seen at the local hangouts near your home. Let the clerks get to know you but don't be forward with anyone.
If you stick with it [couple days a week for 6 months], be honest and be seen, you may get to hunt. Be available, willing and able to run up and down hills chasing coon hounds in the dark without whining.
Wear/have local appropriate clothing and gear, don't be loud and they will learn you and you will be OK.
They have had to deal with spies {yep-a few years back} and they are still tender from that.
Good Luck and welcome to this avocation.

Last edited:

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Thanks gentlemen. The funny thing is we’ve had bear hunters on our property twice while I was at work and my lady gave them permission. Kinda bummed I missed out on a chance to connect. I’ve been doin the things y’all mentioned...but as you said I didn’t wanna be forthcoming or pushy. Can’t say I’m surprised by spies. Good portion of the worlds people seem to be goin soft. Many people miss the part where we tell em hunting is conservation! Keep in touch fellas !

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Good info from cat and Shadycove,have your lady or you mention the next time they get on your land that you have an interest in bear hunting with hounds giving them access to your land is a good ice breaker,I cannot count the times a land owner has shown me a kindness by letting me go on their land just to get my hounds we don't forget things,I always ask them to join the hunt and if the bear trees they get the shot.When I get access to hunt a new area I always check with the landowners around it to get their feelings about me hunting around their land just in case my hounds happen to get on it sometimes I end up with more land to hunt sometimes I get permission to just go on there to get my hounds which is all I really want other times I get a flat out no,the ones that show me a kindness always get an invite to hunt.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Good info from cat and Shadycove,have your lady or you mention the next time they get on your land that you have an interest in bear hunting with hounds giving them access to your land is a good ice breaker,I cannot count the times a land owner has shown me a kindness by letting me go on their land just to get my hounds we don't forget things,I always ask them to join the hunt and if the bear trees they get the shot.When I get access to hunt a new area I always check with the landowners around it to get their feelings about me hunting around their land just in case my hounds happen to get on it sometimes I end up with more land to hunt sometimes I get permission to just go on there to get my hounds which is all I really want other times I get a flat out no,the ones that show me a kindness always get an invite to hunt.
Beat me to it RJ1, having land that has bear on it and already letting the locals hunt them gets you to the head of the line to go hunting. But I would still try to get up with these locals soon and let them know that you might want to hunt this fall.
Lets them and you get on the same page now instead of the day before the hunt.
Good luck.

Last edited:

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I need to add a little to my above post,if a land owner shows me a kindness and I invite him to hunt with me.That invite is good for anywhere I hunt in the state,if he lives in the mountains and wants to downeast or if he lives downeast and wants to hunt in the mountains which ever one he wants to do is fine with me.I have hunting camps in both places.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I greatly appreciate the suggestions and kindness y’all Showed me considering “outsiders” have done som of you wrong, as mentioned in other replies. Hunting has made me a more confident, determined, self reliant person and I do everything I can to make sure I don’t cross other sportsmen and give us a positive spotlight for the general public