Banded turkey

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
as the state reintroduced the turkeys to areas in tthe 70's 80's and 90's there was an interesting urban legend that maybe saved a few of the new bird's lives.

i was told multiple times by some pretty educated people that "You better not get caught killing one of those new turkeys."

When you asked why (besides there being no open season) they would reply "They all have radios on them and they track them." :)

Never killed or saw a banded bird.not sure if they exist.

never heard of one getting killed with a radio in it either. LOL

Last edited:

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Hey Oldest School I've hunted turkey on Butner/Falls for a lot of years and I'm not so sure they didn't have radios so they could tell each other where the hunters were.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I heard when they released birds in JoCo in the early 2000s on the flowers property they were banded and on Jordan lake in the 90s when some were released. Not that those birds would still be living. I didn't know if the wrc was trapping birds and tagging them?? You know like TK and Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Made a call and yes, the majority of the birds that the NCWRC trapped or imported and released over the years were banded.
They would all be dead by now for sure.
This info can be found on the NCWRC website should anyone {CRC comes to mind} doubt my post.

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Never seen a turkey that had a pair to band. They go vent to vent with nothing to get a band around.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Back I guess it was 1970 or 71, I was a teenager and got a temporary job trapping turkeys in the Pisgah Forest with Wayne Bailey. He had been hired out of retirement from West Virginia where he had done great work relocating turkeys for that state. We trapped birds and banded them all. They were transported to various places where the populations needed help. I'd say most all of those we trapped were never hunted as the places they went to mostly had so few birds that by the time a season opened the old transplants would have died- just my guess on that.

1gonewrong

Six Pointer
Can't take credit for the banded turkey. Found it dead totally intact and fresh except it's head had been eaten off. Probably an owl. Don't remember the year but probably early 90's on private land north of the Butner range.

gobbler

Eight Pointer
there was a longbeard killed in randolph co around 98 or so that was tracked to the mans freezer, the article made the courier tribune

Taproot

We trapped and translocated turkeys for years when I worked as a biologist for the State of Alabama, but we never banded any. If you find a banded bird, it will have identifiers on the band and most likely instructions for reporting it. Could be a bird used in a university research project.