Apex Ammunition - TSS turkey loads

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
If ya want TSS, get with Hal and load your own. Its easy to do and ya never have to worry about it being in stock. Also, with troubles Apex has had lately I don’t know if it is a safe option.

Thanks.....I'll relay your message to my bud. He's a forum member here so he could easily PM Hal and ask how to get started. If I remember correctly, he may even already have reloading equipment. Thanks again!

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Guys on old gobbler talking about blown barrels out of Apex one was guy down road here in Dysarstville NC ruined his gun

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I’ve seen a bunch of busted barrels and duds on different post from apex lately. Reloading it is the way to go its easy and enjoyable to do.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I enjoy calling the birds in close. I have only shot 1 bird at 48 steps. I guess I could have killed maybe 2 dozen birds over the years at 50 to 60 yards but I have never even considered trying those long shots.
I have only misjudged the distance twice, thinking 45 plus which turned out to be 60 plus yards.:rolleyes:
Both cases I was shooting downhill a powerline type opening.
Call them in close and you want need those pricey shells;)
:cool:

Last edited:

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I enjoy calling the birds in close. I have only shot 1 bird at 48 steps. I guess I could have killed maybe 2 dozen birds over the years at 50 to 60 yards but I have never even considered trying those long shots.
I have only misjudged the distance twice, thinking 45 plus which turned out to be 60 plus yards.:rolleyes:
Both cases I was shooting downhill a powerline type opening.
Call them in close and you want need those pricey shells;)
:cool:

It’s not about distance with TSS to me, it’s the ability to take a smaller lighter gun like the 20ga, 28ga, and .410 and make it just as viable a hunting option as a 12ga that makes TSS shine.

Crappie man

Six Pointer
Emailed Apex and asked about the safety of the shells I ordered and about reports of damaged barrels.This was their reply.

Date: March 15, 2018 at 7:34:41 AM EDT

Subject: Re: 20 ga TSS
Congrats on the new gun! The rounds are safe to shoot no doubt. The reports on social media were caused by barrel obstruction and confirmed but the guys who posted them.

Thank you and good luck this season!

Jason Lonsberry
Co-Owner
Apex Ammunition
662-441-2739
www.apexmunition.com

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Cut open high brass loads. Fill with TTS shot and role crimp them back. Easy as one two 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhsten

Ten Pointer
Cut open high brass loads. Fill with TTS shot and role crimp them back. Easy as one two 3.

So you are going to make a 3.5" shell a 2 3/4" shell? How will that affect the pressure? What about all the extra room in the wad?

dhsten

Ten Pointer
Emailed Apex and asked about the safety of the shells I ordered and about reports of damaged barrels.This was their reply.

Date: March 15, 2018 at 7:34:41 AM EDT

Subject: Re: 20 ga TSS
Congrats on the new gun! The rounds are safe to shoot no doubt. The reports on social media were caused by barrel obstruction and confirmed but the guys who posted them.

Thank you and good luck this season!

Jason Lonsberry
Co-Owner
Apex Ammunition
662-441-2739
www.apexmunition.com

What caused the barrel obstruction, were the "bloopers" that were shot with their shells. So the wad didn't exit the barrel.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
So you are going to make a 3.5" shell a 2 3/4" shell? How will that affect the pressure? What about all the extra room in the wad?

I am not sure. I was just joshing. But if I had some TSS I would try it. I would buy new wads. If the shells you used were 2 oz of lead or steel before I'm sure the pressure would be the same with 2oz of tss. Just a new wad and shorter shell. Just guessing though.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I am not sure. I was just joshing. But if I had some TSS I would try it. I would buy new wads. If the shells you used were 2 oz of lead or steel before I'm sure the pressure would be the same with 2oz of tss. Just a new wad and shorter shell. Just guessing though.

Guessing may cause loss of fingers or worse........but thats just a guess.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns

Please don't try this if fingers and eyes are valued......

Warning to the wise.....

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
this may have been covered in the thread but i saw some footage of the nwtf show. Apex had quite a line for their loads.

they know their business but it sure would be tempting to really see how bad folks wanted the stuff. as in raise prices.

wonder what the magic price would be to curb the demand? $20 a shell?

rodman

Ten Pointer
this may have been covered in the thread but i saw some footage of the nwtf show. Apex had quite a line for their loads.

they know their business but it sure would be tempting to really see how bad folks wanted the stuff. as in raise prices.

I feel like you only get very few chances at turkey kills. People pay $400 for a golf club that still doesn't perform. This is the real deal.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer

Good question. I expect they could...but they may have to change up their packaging. If they offered "twin packs" for $40...I bet they could sell them.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i have seen these in fishing tackle before and it is crazy what demand can become for a scarce resource.

two packs woulda worked, put a limit on them and roll in a show environment.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Yup only way I see this ending is if they can't get a hold of shot. Be curious to see where prices go right now they could bout name their price Nitro Federal or Apex can't keep up with demand

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Do y'all deer hunt with a 300magnum?

Why yes....yes I do when I take the notion. Aint got a thing to do with need. Do you bow hunt with a compound bow? Heaven forbid its a flagship model. Different strokes for different folks.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Do y'all deer hunt with a 300magnum?

I do because I like it, but I wouldn’t say TSS is the .300 of the turkey world it’s more about pellet count and pattern density then it is being a distance shooter for most people and the ability to turn the sub gauges into reliable turkey killers.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I do because I like it, but I wouldn&#8217;t say TSS is the .300 of the turkey world it&#8217;s more about pellet count and pattern density then it is being a distance shooter for most people and the ability to turn the sub gauges into reliable turkey killers.

Well said.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
That has been my thought all along but I have never asked Hawglips what his original reasoning was behind developing the loads. Yes, I hunted with a .300 WM some years ago. Yes, I hunted turkey with a 3.5 in. 12 ga., some years ago. I just find it more enjoyable to hunt both deer and turkey with guns that are less punishing, especially if you are a flyweight over 70. I have never had a desire to see how far away I could kill anything, just that it was done ethically. I prefer to play the game longer. Just me.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
It&#8217;s more about me being able to make jaws drop from guys shooting 3-1/2&#8221; cannons with my little pea shooter 28 gauge. Arrogance? Not if you can back it up.

Plus, I&#8217;ve killed about everything there is to kill in the state. The older I get, the more, less punishing ways to kill it, I&#8217;m all about it.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
That has been my thought all along but I have never asked Hawglips what his original reasoning was behind developing the loads. Yes, I hunted with a .300 WM some years ago. Yes, I hunted turkey with a 3.5 in. 12 ga., some years ago. I just find it more enjoyable to hunt both deer and turkey with guns that are less punishing, especially if you are a flyweight over 70. I have never had a desire to see how far away I could kill anything, just that it was done ethically. I prefer to play the game longer. Just me.

You have got me turkey hunting with a .410 with tss and I have had good results so far. And after my last visit I have to say shooting round balls with slightly less powder in my muzzleloader does appeal to me. Next you'll probably tell me to trade in my 30.06 for one of those ARs. And I will probably do it. And my repaired shoulder thanks you.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
These places sell out quick as they get it you can keep checking Cabelas. Rogers had some 12 and 20 not sure bout410 check Macks as well lot is backordered if they will even take your order