Apex Ammunition - TSS turkey loads

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Good rep with service biggest problem they have is keeping certain shot in stock this time year they been selling tss longer than anyone I know of and lot positive said about em

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I can see a use for some of their Predator loads.
TSS #2s and #BBs Oh yeah, deer at 50 yards=DRT.
I have killed a few at 30+ yards with #2 lead and they never took a step [shot in the head/neck].
But dang, $10 to $12 a shot, whoo-hoo.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Holy crap! It amazes me that there are enough people willing to pay such a stupid price for shells...that they sell out......to each his own...

Why not buy more calls with the money and practice getting them closer.....then you will have the call left in your vest after the shot!

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Holy crap! It amazes me that there are enough people willing to pay such a stupid price for shells...that they sell out......to each his own...

Why not buy more calls with the money and practice getting them closer.....then you will have the call left in your vest after the shot!

What about the ones that got so many calls they triping over em got spend money on something. Seriously I'm the guy that doesnt tell a working man how to spend his honest earned cash if you want em get em

Last edited:

dhsten

Ten Pointer

First I wouldn't pay that for Apex shells, anyone can load their own for much cheaper. Second, shooting tss is not all about adding range. I can take my itty bitty lightweight 20 gauge and have way more performance than any 12 gauge shooting lead/hevi with heck of a lot less recoil. My pattern will be more open at 20 yards than any factory shell and still hold a killing pattern to 60 yards.
The turkeys I hunt never seem to do exactly what I want them to do. They like to come in at odd angles, peak over knolls and leave, survey the scene from an open spot and walk off, they don't seem to like to walk through a wide open shooting lanes. Tss helps give me a more wiggle room on close shots and a little cushion if I think the bird is 40 yards and he is 50 yards...which could mean the difference in taking a bird home or not in my normal hunting conditions. I get that confidence for a few extra dollars per trigger pull... that's a heck of a deal!

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
If my wife knew how much I paid in variable costs in 2017 per turkey, she might divorce me. Lease, licenses, gas, food, calls - and by far the least of them - shells.

Here's a rough calculation:

Leases: $2000
licenses and tags etc: NC, VA, GA, SC, UT - $1150
gas: $700
airfare: $400
food: $120
shells: $50
dead turkeys to show for it: 7
cost per turkey: :eek:

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Love your analysis Hal. I know I'm fortunate to be satisfied with one, maybe 2 birds a year for the cost of a couple of shells......... if that.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
First I wouldn't pay that for Apex shells, anyone can load their own for much cheaper. Second, shooting tss is not all about adding range. I can take my itty bitty lightweight 20 gauge and have way more performance than any 12 gauge shooting lead/hevi with heck of a lot less recoil. My pattern will be more open at 20 yards than any factory shell and still hold a killing pattern to 60 yards.
The turkeys I hunt never seem to do exactly what I want them to do. They like to come in at odd angles, peak over knolls and leave, survey the scene from an open spot and walk off, they don't seem to like to walk through a wide open shooting lanes. Tss helps give me a more wiggle room on close shots and a little cushion if I think the bird is 40 yards and he is 50 yards...which could mean the difference in taking a bird home or not in my normal hunting conditions. I get that confidence for a few extra dollars per trigger pull... that's a heck of a deal!
That’s why I said “to each his own” in my post....great explanation for your scenario.....

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
No doubt about it shells even high priced is my least expense out state license and expense is costly and worth every penny

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What about the ones that got so many calls they triping over em got spend money on something. Seriously I'm the guy that doesnt tell a working man how to spend his honest earned cash if you want em get em
Nowhere in my statement did I tell a working man what he has to do with his hard earned money......I did however suggest another way to spend his money for the same results...This is supposed to be a friendly forum for all to post opinions.....sorry I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings......maybe not everyone here has your money to throw away on calls and shells.....so just maybe my suggestion will get a call maker another sell instead of a box of TSS being sold...who cares...... you wake on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Your taking this wrong way I'm just chating don't be so sensitive I was just basically saying to each his own and Lord knows I don't have ton money lot years of collecting calls and such

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
No problem lot times with this typing stuff messages get misunderstood I'm a pretty simple fella and not much for fussing but I do love to talk anything turkey related

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If my wife knew how much I paid in variable costs in 2017 per turkey, she might divorce me. Lease, licenses, gas, food, calls - and by far the least of them - shells.

Here's a rough calculation:

Leases: $2000
licenses and tags etc: NC, VA, GA, SC, UT - $1150
gas: $700
airfare: $400
food: $120
shells: $50
dead turkeys to show for it: 7
cost per turkey: :eek:
I wish I could afford your habit!!

One more to get through college and then maybe......just maybe

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No problem lot times with this typing stuff messages get misunderstood I'm a pretty simple fella and not much for fussing but I do love to talk anything turkey related
I love the turkeys too.....counting down the days!

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
A buddy of mine had been trying to get himself a box or two of turkey loads but they had been listed on Apex's website as "out of stock" for some time. He received an email from them a day or two ago stating that they would have loads back in stock today at noon, (central time I believe). He said he was waiting on their website at the proper time (1:00 eastern) and sure enough they showed available at the named time, but before he could get his order fired off the shells he wanted went back to "out of stock" status! So apparently, they sold out in under a minute. He said it was like when he tried to buy Chris Stapleton tickets. :)

Must be some sure enough good shells. Even at their outrageous prices they can't keep up with demand. Crazy.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Most them if not all were probably spoken for by time they went on sale. Nitro same way they are way behind order now you may get them by end April. This goes back to the time honored tradition of people waiting till last minute. People could have ordered Apex back before Christmas and no problem. The demand is crazy high right now if anyone want to test an id wait till summer.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
cc5085d32fbae6c4d0d0cd5c89485935.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhsten

Ten Pointer
If ya want TSS, get with Hal and load your own. Its easy to do and ya never have to worry about it being in stock. Also, with troubles Apex has had lately I don’t know if it is a safe option.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
If ya want TSS, get with Hal and load your own. Its easy to do and ya never have to worry about it being in stock. Also, with troubles Apex has had lately I don’t know if it is a safe option.

nitro like issues or what?

nitro like being "hot loads" that were safety issues.