Rabbit Hunting

CoonHntr

Four Pointer
They are hit or miss around here. We have some spots that we can get after all we want in a days time, and a few miles up the road we would be lucky to get after two or three in a morning.

PG2

Ten Pointer
I have no problems jumping and running them but like Hevi hard to see them in the pine thickets. This past Saturday we ran the same rabbit for 4 hours before we shot him.....

specialk

Twelve Pointer
same down here.....population seems stable.....we got a 1000ac lease to ourselves and a guy that traps it pretty hard......all pines in different stages of growth......its 3-4 of us and 4-5 dogs and we manage a few each time we go....turn loose at daylight and knock off after lunch.....

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
We guided a hunt on our farm 2 wks ago and they jumped 11 and took 4 home.....ran from 8am-noon...over bout 70 acres timber.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Been on two hunts with friends so far this year. First day 7 dogs and 5 guns harvested 11. This past Tuesday 7 dogs and 6 guns took 12.

Attachments

• IMG_20180127_140716415[1].jpg
    IMG_20180127_140716415[1].jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 294

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Had our yearly son and daughter hunt today. Had 6 parents and 6 children participate. Had 2 children harvest their first rabbits. Adults joined in after lunch. Last count was 15 rabbits. Dogs caught 4 shot a little far back. Great time good running and by far the best group of parents assembled yet.

Attachments

• 0217181630.jpg
    0217181630.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Had our yearly son and daughter hunt today. Had 6 parents and 6 children participate. Had 2 children harvest their first rabbits. Adults joined in after lunch. Last count was 15 rabbits. Dogs caught 4 shot a little far back. Great time good running and by far the best group of parents assembled yet.

Great you have a hunt including the young ones.

NCFalconer

Button Buck
Hello. I recently moved to the Raleigh Durham area from DFW...I was an avid rabbit hunter with a red tail hawk (falconry), and I never had a problem bumping rabbits in urban areas (railroad easements, greenbelts, etc). I've been out a few times here and all I can seem to flush are deer. Any tips for finding rabbits in the north raleigh/wake forest area? Still learning the terrain/topography/flora here (very different climate from north Texas). Any tips much appreciated!
NCF

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hello. I recently moved to the Raleigh Durham area from DFW...I was an avid rabbit hunter with a red tail hawk (falconry), and I never had a problem bumping rabbits in urban areas (railroad easements, greenbelts, etc). I've been out a few times here and all I can seem to flush are deer. Any tips for finding rabbits in the north raleigh/wake forest area? Still learning the terrain/topography/flora here (very different climate from north Texas). Any tips much appreciated!
NCF
The rabbits here are much more used to harassment from all kind of predators. You will have to get in much thicker cover, IE briers, honeysuckle, the thickest cover you can find. I have friends that hunt almost every decent day of the season but don't do it to kill many, they just like to hear the dogs run. I have seen a grown man jumping on a brush pile with a dog in it and swear there wasn't a rabbit in there because there was no way it's nerves could take that when all of a sudden the dog would open and the rabbit would bolt.