Chatham Co question

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
in 1975 it was made illegal in Chatham County to hunt deer with a centrefire rifle.

Does anyone know when the taking of deer with centerfire rifles was legalized again?

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have been here since 1993...... always been legai...... so between 75 and 93

treein dixie

Twelve Pointer
Very few deer in Chatham in 75 most were around chicken bridge rd. People were using rifles in 79 so not to long between 75-79

rodman

Ten Pointer
People get bored on rainy days. Never stopped using them in Bennett. Or dogs,or hand grenades...

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Sometime after `75.

i will say i think it was early eighties. It was bizzare in that alamance was allowing rifles and the silk hope crowd was having to lie about not using them. :)

it changed right about the time the entire county started having a season.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
i will say i think it was early eighties. It was bizzare in that alamance was allowing rifles and the silk hope crowd was having to lie about not using them. :)

it changed right about the time the entire county started having a season.

Thanks Oldest School

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I started hunting around 88 and I don't remember hunting w a rifle being an issue. Interesting topic.

you can be sure of that.

i know it was early eighties when it was changed. i worked with a guy who told me of carrying both weapons to his stand. that was past 1980.
i am gonna say 81, 82, the kill rate doubled both of those years.

today there are more killed on the opener of ML than in a whole year back then. :)

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
So, who has seen these BEASTS this law speaks of??????

Scotty there were in fact some beasts roaming chatham as the herd expanded into the county. beasts of deer that is. not sure about a beast species.

there were some CH hippies during that time that could have passed for sasquatch around as well. :) they roamed chatham at will. this law protected them. LOL.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
I hunted Harnett Co. in 1979 and could use rifle then. Belonged to a hunting club one mile from the Harnett/Chatham Co. line. I believe you could use rifles in Chatham then, because we had rights to hunt a track of Federal Timber land in Chatham Co.and it bordered the Harnett/Chatham Co. line and we used rifles in both counties.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Scotty there were in fact some beasts roaming chatham as the herd expanded into the county. beasts of deer that is. not sure about a beast species.

there were some CH hippies during that time that could have passed for sasquatch around as well. :) they roamed chatham at will. this law protected them. LOL.
Still got plenty of the Sasquatch Hippies wearing plaid shirts up this way and quickly running into your neck of the woods.....sooner or later the state has to declare them a nuisance species and open the season up.....Just how many hairy underarmed women and men claiming to be ORGANIC FARMERS does one county need?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Still got plenty of the Sasquatch Hippies wearing plaid shirts up this way and quickly running into your neck of the woods.....sooner or later the state has to declare them a nuisance species and open the season up.....Just how many hairy underarmed women and men claiming to be ORGANIC FARMERS does one county need?

you have been here long enough to understand they now run the county?

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm thinking it was 1982. Seems like it went shotguns only, then shotguns and rifles if you had written permission to use the rifle, then it all opened up. I know some were hunting with rifles before that time.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I'm thinking it was 1982. Seems like it went shotguns only, then shotguns and rifles if you had written permission to use the rifle, then it all opened up. I know some were hunting with rifles before that time.

i agree. folks were using them but it was not legal.