Planting clover in my yard

kahunter

Eight Pointer
I was hoping to incorporate some clover into my yard. I have some full sun areas that have gone to mostly weeds and some shady to part shady areas that are mostly fescue. I also have an area down by the water that is bermuda. Any tips on overseeding the shady to partly shady and the weedy areas with clover?? What type of clover should I use?? Thanks

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When I had my yard excavated and seeded/strawed, the guy that was doing it was a hunter and didn't blink when I went to the LTD and bought 32 pounds of clover seed to mix with the fescue mix that we had agreed on him sowing.
Not familiar with the area I was moving to I used 3 kinds of red clover and 2 kinds of white, the arrow leaf and cinnamon did well, the whites kinda petered out over the years. I tried not to use any that had a very high and prominent crown, so I could mow them at standard grass height.
I live in the foothills and have a hard clay soil, we used 8 tons of lime in my 2.5 acre yard trying to get the PH halfway right, and I add more every other year.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Plant white and go out there and talk to it once it comes up and tell it you don't want it. Tell it you wanted a beautiful stand of fescue, it should do well then. LOL

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Plant white and go out there and talk to it once it comes up and tell it you don't want it. Tell it you wanted a beautiful stand of fescue, it should do well then. LOL

And the incorporation of some profanity into the conversation will spur it on even more.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And the incorporation of some profanity into the conversation will spur it on even more.
Yeah, I cured it, I had some common bermuda in the soil already. I elected not to fight it so I seeded my whole yard with it when I built. Best move I ever made. When people are fighting drought, clover and weeds I have a green yard. I just have a brown one a few months in the winter.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The native clovers do well in my area, as do the pasture mixes....so I figured why fight the inevitable. The wife and I enjoy seeing the animals enjoying the clover and our chickens love it too.
I really need to overseed soon on some of the hills, but I just put out a bag of mixed fescue in late fall, so I'm waiting to see how that takes hold before I do anything rash.