Question about deer hound breeds.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Have any clubs started using beagles/beagle crosses? It seems like in Warren County everyone brags about how fast their Walkers are. I know next to nothing about dog hunting but it seems to me a lot of the friction between landowners and dog hunters would be solved if dog hunters used slower, more manageable dogs in smaller blocks. Probally make it easier to shoot the deer as well.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Lot of guys around the Sandhills are running hound/bird dog cross. The bird dog has the Hunt you need along with the hounds nose and drive but they don’t seem to leave the county like the fox hounds will. Also seeing lot of clubs in VA running beagles. If I were to ever have another pack of deer dogs it would be a pack of well trained beagles that handled and knew how to listen. You’re correct the crossed up dogs and beagles do not push one nearly as hard. I knew deep down you were a dog man, probably assembling your pack as I type this !

Hope you’re doing well sir .

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I want dogs to be up on game. I also want dogs that handle well. Let me restate that, I will not keep a great hound that don't handle well. The dogs handling well makes the most difference. I have hunted with beagles and walkers for years. I can't stand hunting with slow dogs. You don't know if the deer has came by or not. Nothing, I hate worse then waiting 10 plus minutes just to realize the game has already came by. I have seen beagles that could push game as fast as walkers. Most of those super fast dogs don't hunt, they are a result of field trialing in the wire or maybe I just have slow walkers. LOL Nah! I just try to stay on top of them. Wildcat said it in another post/thread the size of property matching the number of hounds makes a difference, along with good handling hounds no matter the breed, will help more than anything. One slow dog, that don't handle can be worse than 20, that handle excellent. That one slow dog gets out of pocket and it would aggravate both hunters to no end, one hunter can't catch the dog and the other listens to that slow dog all afternoon.

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Finest pack I ever hunted with was half English pointer, half foxhound. They would put it on one. If you like the sound of hound music, this wasn’t the pack for you. Just yips and a squeal here and there but good lord they could run a deer!!

rodman

Ten Pointer
The fastest dog I have ever seen run a deer was half fox Walker and half bird dog. She was a streak in the woods and rode in the front seat of Jay's truck alot of the time to and from. Smart as a whip

boomer

Twelve Pointer
Best single dog race I ever heard was from a Springer Spaniel. I heard him come into our hunt club property off of Sandhills field trial land. He was barking ever breath and a buddy and me decided we wanted to see owned the dog. 2 hrs later we caught him up when the doe finally crossed a road and he was only a few steps behind her. A guy from New Jersey owned him and was in that weekends field trial. I have owned a lot of good dogs, hunted around a lot of good dogs but that was one of the best I ever heard from a single dog. Just about any dog will run a deer, only a few are true deer hounds.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Lots of guys have beagle/walker mixes. I use to run straight up beagles. They were not fast but they would get on a track and stay on it. Even though they were slow it still took a while to round them up. Always a couple that hit a track and run back and forth in a swamp. The use of tracking collars let you know where they were, still did not mean you could get your hands on them.

treestock

Four Pointer
Just hooked up on a 3/4 dog cross myself. Cut loose a few long dogs that were pretty good to make room
5efb6547a789223f0c23c3a015491b58.jpg

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

klim

Twelve Pointer
The fastest dog I have ever seen run a deer was half fox Walker and half bird dog. She was a streak in the woods and rode in the front seat of Jay's truck alot of the time to and from. Smart as a whip

X2! I’ve killed deer in front of a pack of short legged beagles one time, that I could have swore they where fox walkers. I mean they where burning the deers butt up.

rodman

Ten Pointer
X2! I’ve killed deer in front of a pack of short legged beagles one time, that I could have swore they where fox walkers. I mean they where burning the deers butt up.

Do you remember Winky's beagles?

klim

Twelve Pointer
Do you remember Winky's beagles?

That’s the ones I was talking about. I killed two does at buies crossing off his dogs. I could have swore that it was a pack of walkers running them. I kinda doubt his dogs there for awhile, but the further you got into deer season seems like they got faster and faster. After that day though I never really doubt them again. Gary Welch (Bambi) had some good beagles to but I think he had the long legged ones.

Last edited:

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
The beagle talk reminds me...I know a guy that lived in Europe for awhile.

He was invited hunting, and told they would be using dogs to hunt deer. Having lived a good portion of his life in NC, he was thinking, "right on, hounds." He got to the meeting place and everyone started showing up...But he didn't see any kennels in the cars...or dogs for that matter...They had the safety meeting and everyone brought from their car a Teckel.

He said it worked well, the deer didn't sprint out, just walked along being pushed by the weiner dogs.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The beagle talk reminds me...I know a guy that lived in Europe for awhile.

He was invited hunting, and told they would be using dogs to hunt deer. Having lived a good portion of his life in NC, he was thinking, "right on, hounds." He got to the meeting place and everyone started showing up...But he didn't see any kennels in the cars...or dogs for that matter...They had the safety meeting and everyone brought from their car a Teckel.

He said it worked well, the deer didn't sprint out, just walked along being pushed by the weiner dogs.
I had a Teckel, he would put a deer into the wind.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a cur right now I am fixing to breed to a big beagle or a small walker if I can find what I want. Of course I walked down there yesterday to find her bleeding right before the season is to open Sat.

I have one beagle here and two more curs beside her I run. The jury is still out on this beagle. I am afraid he is going to be just a tad slow. I may still keep him. As long as he gets on his own and keep one going I will probably keep him. I don't have to have them run in a pack, just want to keep them stirring.