Vehicle Registration Expiration

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lots of discussion in the other thread about the problems at work so rather than bury this in there, I will give it a life of its own.

Check you registration card. That is what the LEO is going to check.

I have a February tag 02-18. Checked my registration card and it says Valid Thru 3/15/2018. And the registration card also states that the Inspection Due 2/28/2018.

Have not been through the penalty phase if you are late as I try to make sure I get it done on time.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep.....that is what they have always been as long as I have had cars.....15 days into the next month.....and again I don't know :donk:donk:donk:donk........never late no worries

Last edited:

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
My tags had a April sticker and I went on May 1st and had to pay a 15.00 penalty fee for being late. Wait til March 1st to renew your tags and let us know what happens.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
This is incorrect, there is no 15 day grace any more [I paid the fine once last year] and trust me those deputies that you see sitting around have a optical tag reader running on every vehicle that goes by. HP is the same, they KNOW if your tag is dead long before the blue lights come on.
Most will let you slide for a few days but if he had a rough night, it's ticket time for you.
No use to chance it, get inspected and tagged BEFORE the end of the month on your tag. Just sayin......
Yep.....that is what they have always been as long as I have had cars.....15 days into the next month.....and again I don't know :donk:donk:donk:donk........never late no worries

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well, lets see......from https://www.dmv.org/nc-north-carolina/registration-renewal.php

The North Carolina DMV allows a 15 day grace period after your vehicle registration expires to renew. During this time you can not be given a ticket but you will be charged up to $25 in late fees for not renewing before the expiration date.

There is a 15 day grace period as far as getting a ticket but if you are one day past the Valid Thru date, you will be charged a late fee.

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This is incorrect, there is no 15 day grace any more [I paid the fine once last year] and trust me those deputies that you see sitting around have a optical tag reader running on every vehicle that goes by. HP is the same, they KNOW if your tag is dead long before the blue lights come on.
Most will let you slide for a few days but if he had a rough night, it's ticket time for you.
No use to chance it, get inspected and tagged BEFORE the end of the month on your tag. Just sayin......

And that is why I corrected it and said I don't know :donk:donk:donk:donk

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I'm gonna CRS on this as well, but it seem like my registration notice usually comes in about 90 days before it is actually due. That used to cause me a problem as I would put it up somewhere and inevitably overlook it till it was a pushing issue. I only have one vehicle now that requires inspection so as soon as I get a notification I go straight to the computer and take care of it. The other one is inspected that week and registration follows immediately. Solved that problem.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns

It would be nice if the deputies would catch some of the big offenders. My coworker's car was hit this week by a guy driving an Astro van that had a September 2016 registration expiration and was uninsured.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
There is a grace period for the renewal, But NOT for the inspection. How many of us don't even worry about the inspection, until it's renewal time? Any cop knows that when he starts pulling people over as soon as the month on the tag is over, 3/4 of them will not have an inspection yet either, and this is a sure ticket. Ask me how I know this

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I will say that if we did not get our registration reminders in the mail.....we would probably forget....but the truth is that most folks have a smart phone that you can put a note in your calendar for the month it runs out.Really no excuses these days

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
There is a grace period for the renewal, But NOT for the inspection. How many of us don't even worry about the inspection, until it's renewal time? Any cop knows that when he starts pulling people over as soon as the month on the tag is over, 3/4 of them will not have an inspection yet either, and this is a sure ticket. Ask me how I know this

Every registration renewal I get comes the month before the registration expires. I usually have somewhere around 45-60 days advance notice.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
If you folks were doing a 360* walkaround EVERY time you get into your vehicle, you would notice the expiration month on the tag.
You would also see any damage done by others while your car was parked.
Just takes 30 seconds.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Id really like to see a poll of how many people actually do a 360 walk around every time you get into your vehicle.
I dont believe anyone does. You go to town, stop to get a bite to eat, go to the gas station for gas, hit the local Wally World, stop at your local hunting and fishing shop then hit the grocery store. Are you going to try t tell me you do a walk around after each of these stops??????

Just had to ask. Seriously I can see this lets say each day the first time you go to your vehicle with the intention of driving some place.

Last edited:

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
If you folks were doing a 360* walkaround EVERY time you get into your vehicle, you would notice the expiration month on the tag.
Just takes 30 seconds.

After close to 40 years of trucking my wife still wonders why I "pre-trip" any vehicle before driving it off. Old habits die hard.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Id really like to see a poll of how many people actually do a 360 walk around every time you get into your vehicle.
I dont believe anyone does. You go to town, stop to get a bite to eat, go to the gas station for gas, hit the local Wally World, stop at your local hunting and fishing shop then hit the grocery store. Are you going to try t tell me you do a walk around after each of these stops??????

Just had to ask. Seriously I can see this lets say each day the first time you go to your vehicle with the intention of driving some place.

That's what he means I think. I do it , daily. Not at each stop.

thbassin

Button Buck
It would be nice if the deputies would catch some of the big offenders. My coworker's car was hit this week by a guy driving an Astro van that had a September 2016 registration expiration and was uninsured.

I saw two today. One with 2016 and one with 2015 tags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy

It's a failsafe. And it does in fact have consequences. It's written into many employee's contracts. If said person drives the same vehicle nearly every day, and the registration is out, brakes are weak, a headlight is out, turn signal doesn't work, the brakes are OUT, there are NO brakelights, a wheel came off because lugs were loose, etc etc.

At some point, who's responsibility is it? The daily driver of the vehicle (to report it), or the owner of the vehicle (who never uses it)?

Last edited:

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm not looking forward to the late fee. Have a third vehicle that we haven't driven since December, but i've started, and let it run once or twice a week. Just thought to check it after the other thread... 1-18. Bummer.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Like I said in my first post, at work it's every time you drive a vehicle, not a full pre-trip but a walk around to see if another vehicle hit yours, flat tire, broken taillight or something placed in a mirror blind spot.
And yes, 360* every time, especially at Wal-Mart to see if somebody backed into your parked vehicle or attacked it with a cart or maybe a thug is hidden waiting to rob you [happens all the time]. They have video cams, you just need to know when it happened.
After close to 40 years of trucking my wife still wonders why I "pre-trip" any vehicle before driving it off. Old habits die hard.

Last edited:

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm not looking forward to the late fee. Have a third vehicle that we haven't driven since December, but i've started, and let it run once or twice a week. Just thought to check it after the other thread... 1-18. Bummer.

Check your registration card. It is most likely valid thru 2/15. Late fee would start on 2/16 and would be $15. But you are already late on inspection unless it was done within the preceding 90 days and that is a $50 fine plus fees if you get cited for that.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Like I said in my first post, at work it's every time you drive a vehicle, not a full pre-trip but a walk around to see if another vehicle hit yours, flat tire, broken taillight or something placed in a mirror blind spot.
And yes, 360* every time, especially at Wal-Mart to see if somebody backed into your parked vehicle or attacked it with a cart or maybe a thug is hidden waiting to rob you [happens all the time]. They have video cams, you just need to know when it happened.
It is required at each stop for AT&T vehicles.....that is why the cones are placed in front and back of vehicles at each stop....forces you to see what’s going on around the vehicle since you stopped....

While we are on the subject....most company vehicle accidents are backing accidents.....it is required that we pull thru a spot so we do not have to back out upon exit.....if pull thru not available....you must back in upon arrival....not as you exit

Great things to teach your kids, wives/husbands, employees......just simple things that reduce the chance for mistakes

Last edited:

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
If you're not going to drive the vehicle for a while, just turn the tag in. When you're ready to drive it again, just buy another tag-fine avoided

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Check your registration card. It is most likely valid thru 2/15. Late fee would start on 2/16 and would be $15. But you are already late on inspection unless it was done within the preceding 90 days and that is a $50 fine plus fees if you get cited for that.

No your late fee with dmv will start on 02/01. I can speak from experience having to pay have paid the extra 15.00.

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
If you're not going to drive the vehicle for a while, just turn the tag in. When you're ready to drive it again, just buy another tag-fine avoided
Nope, a lapse in registration still draws a fine, not sure how much but I have one vehicle parked right now and was told at the DMV that there would be additional fees upon re-registering that truck.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just takes 30 seconds.
I get my tags through the mail, when that notice come in I go get mine inspected and send it back with a check for my tag. As far as a walkaround I ain't much on them. I usually do a 180, I am still old school. I check under the hood fairly regularly. But as far as a walk around, not often.

Last edited: