2018 South Carolina bill would require 1000 acre minimum for using dogs in hunting

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I believe the minimum acreage could be less and still be effective. Legislators names and numbers on dog collars could be real effective to defeating other parts of this bill.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I believe the minimum acreage could be less and still be effective. Legislators names and numbers on dog collars could be real effective to defeating other parts of this bill.

I know Georgia has a minimum acreage requirement but it one really necessary?

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I would rather not see a minimum acreage regulation. That said I could see where having a minimum of 200-300 acres, could possibly stop the rouges that are causing most of the problems. I would rather see minimum acreage before those other laws. The laws, that encourage people to catch dogs and say they were on their land.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
I would rather not see a minimum acreage regulation. That said I could see where having a minimum of 200-300 acres, could possibly stop the rouges that are causing most of the problems. I would rather see minimum acreage before those other laws. The laws, that encourage people to catch dogs and say they were on their land.

I think 100-150 continous acres would work. 99% of the problems I have with dogs come from tpw clubs that have permsion the hunt 25 acres tracts on either side of our 340. There is no way to keep a buch of walkers on 25 acres.

Last edited:

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I think a continuous and minimum acrage requirement may not be the most popular idea amongst the dog hunters but I personally feel like such legislation could protect our sport moving forward and would hopefully help us get rid of the groups of 6-8 guys turning out truck load of dogs on grandma’s 20 acres. That’s just not acceptable. It’s putting the dogs in harms way, asking for a pissing contest with neighbors and it’s dangerous. Now you give me a good organized dog hunt on a tract of land big enough for it and I’ll hunt with you all day. I think the size of the tract being hunted should dictate how many dogs a club turns out. You can responsibly hunt 100 acres with 3-5 dogs that will handle. You cannot responsibly hunt that same 100 acre tract with 25 dogs. You’ll actually kill more deer with just a few dogs on the smaller tracts. If you’ve got a block big enough, sure turn out a couple packs but on those smaller tracts when you turn that many head out it causes more problems than it does good. You have dogs running other dogs, covering tracks and babbling when just a couple hounds can settle down and hunt like you need them to.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't see that bill going anywhere. Maybe a 100 acres but not a 1000 acres. Yes I agree every dog club should have at least one tract , a 100 acres contiguous and that would keep more of the rogues onto the gamelands.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I don't see that bill going anywhere. Maybe a 100 acres but not a 1000 acres. Yes I agree every dog club should have at least one tract , a 100 acres contiguous and that would keep more of the rogues onto the gamelands.

In Georgia the minimum acreage is 1000 acres so never say never.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In Georgia the minimum acreage is 1000 acres so never say never.
Them folks in Georgia aren't as liberal as us Carolina boys. ;)
The Carolinas have got to have the most liberal deer seasons in the US.

treestock

Four Pointer
I think a continuous and minimum acrage requirement may not be the most popular idea amongst the dog hunters but I personally feel like such legislation could protect our sport moving forward and would hopefully help us get rid of the groups of 6-8 guys turning out truck load of dogs on grandma’s 20 acres. That’s just not acceptable. It’s putting the dogs in harms way, asking for a pissing contest with neighbors and it’s dangerous. Now you give me a good organized dog hunt on a tract of land big enough for it and I’ll hunt with you all day. I think the size of the tract being hunted should dictate how many dogs a club turns out. You can responsibly hunt 100 acres with 3-5 dogs that will handle. You cannot responsibly hunt that same 100 acre tract with 25 dogs. You’ll actually kill more deer with just a few dogs on the smaller tracts. If you’ve got a block big enough, sure turn out a couple packs but on those smaller tracts when you turn that many head out it causes more problems than it does good. You have dogs running other dogs, covering tracks and babbling when just a couple hounds can settle down and hunt like you need them to.
Common sense ain't so common no more. I think 1000 is a little high I'd settle well with 500 acres. But yes something has gotta be done or deer dogging will just be a memory when my kids get old enough to pass the torch to.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
many of the big blocks in SC are already off limits to dog hunting for deer - some lumber companies won't allow it anymore,,,,why Wahee, with near 17000 contigous acres, had to stop dog hunting - lost a lot of members and guests,,

here in NC - the one dog club I am in we hunt smaller blocks, some may not be 100 acres. But we have the dogs in control, and they are mostly mixed breeds - bird dog, cur, beagle and hound mixes that are collar tone trained,,,,we are real successful keeping them in the block

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The guys in the club I am in now ran Sat. They ran half a day with 12 dogs on 250 acres. That was 4 guys. They didn't have a bit of trouble keeping the dogs where the should be. Now I have been around deer dogs for years and know depending on the deer and the speed of the dog that can vary but with today's equipment you can sure alter the game.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Woodmoose is right. Most of the dog clubs where we hunt including the one woodmoose and I are in don't have a problem losing the dogs. I can only remember 2 occasions that the dogs got off our land and that was when they have jumped big bucks and went towards the Sandhills gameland or they run by the woodmoose
House 😆

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We were talking Sunday when I was down at the club. One guy said pre Garmin he would burn a tank of gas a day and seldom be caught up before midnight. Post Garmin same truck he can hunt 4-6 days on a tank of gas and most days he is caught up before dark.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
We were talking Sunday when I was down at the club. One guy said pre Garmin he would burn a tank of gas a day and seldom be caught up before midnight. Post Garmin same truck he can hunt 4-6 days on a tank of gas and most days he is caught up before dark.

The last 4 years I think I have been out past dark 3 or 4 times total. Before the Garmin, I was out almost every night, sometimes into the wee morning or the next day. The last time it took me near 2 weeks to get some young dogs off a huge tract of land I did not have access to, I promised myself something was going to change. I had vacation those 2 weeks and spent all my time trying to get them out of there, I spent over $300 in fuel for the truck, driving around that block. That next year the Alpha hit the market. I have had one ever since. It is not a save all or fool proof, but it sure helps tremendously.

I will also agree my Alpha has payed for itself with the fuel cost it has saved me, while everyday hunting. I can sit still and monitor to hounds, if I can't hear them. I not having to drive around and triangulate with telemetry equipment, which you can get really accurate with.

Last edited: