Complete info on Hyde County alleged waterfowl assault

dbohunts

Six Pointer
Besides that, the story isn't about a blind or no blind: it's about a guy with a string of assaults on his court record who pumps iron (benches 410 pounds) that is likely a steroid freak who gets out of control when anyone opposes him and he comes from a politically-connected family.

All people who bench over 400lbs don't take steroids. Being stereotyped like that isn't right! :)

redbow

Ten Pointer
Duckmauler, I'm not trying to argue. I just can't tell from your post whether you think Umphlett's reported actions were right or wrong.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Why are duck hunters so hostile towards one another? Is it too few ducks available for too many hunters?

Bingo. It is too little quality public hunting opportunities available for too many hunters, encouraging intense competition.
There are some ducks out there, but good spots on public land are scarce. Private land can be great, but prohibitively expensive.

RE: How did he get this guy's name, address, etc? The Gammon guy and his kid parked their bigger boat somewhere along the way, put decoys in a canoe and paddled in the rest of the way to this blind. That is apparently the situation. So if the defendant comes motoring in and sees this boat beached and tied to a tree, he might climb in and and look through it to find, maybe, the guy's registration card or any paperwork. Or better yet, if he's got an LEO buddy, he calls him, reads off the boat registration number, and the LEO can look up the guy's info via the boat registration number. He can get address, telephone number, etc., through the wildlife/boat registration network, but he'd have to go through DMV to get the truck info -- unless he put in at the same ramp with the guy and noticed the truck and trailer and put two and two together. And apparently, in the first instance, they were all strangers. The victims did a little investigating that evening, asked around, found somebody who told them this sounded like Mr. U, and they identified him off his Facebook page. The second set of victims got the registration number off his boat and LEOs traced it to defendant. No mention, at least not publicly, of identity of second guy in the boat.

Last edited:

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Old age and busted knees/shoulders put you more on the defense.
9ab42132f2a1deaf3187d328a242828c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Bingo. It is too little quality public hunting opportunities available for too many hunters, encouraging intense competition.
There are some ducks out there, but good spots on public land are scarce. Private land can be great, but prohibitively expensive.

95% of the time you are absolutely right. However this year the public land hunting in the county where the infraction occurred was significantly better than the private land hunting. I would think the guy charged would have access to good exclusive Dare county blinds on Public water. A person with whom I frequently hunt is a friend of the Umplett family, he indicated the person charged sometimes guides for Dare to Hyde. If so he would have access to some of the best private land impoundments in the county.

I also think you are right about too little public water hunting opportunities. Think about the opportunities if everyone had to float hunt or shore hunt and we could hunt on all of the water we should be entitled to hunt; Dare, Currituck, Pamlico and Carterett.

I think it would spread us all out.

redbow

Ten Pointer
Sorry but I have to ask. How many people know this guy or his family? I have to ask because it seems like a they are a pretty well known family. For Christ's sake they live on an island and own a Marina. Let's hear the low-down.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
That location is going to get a lot more attention next season.

I don't duck hunt, but I say we get a huge gang of nchuntandfish members together and crash that guy's party there next year. If about 10-15 boats pulled in there with everyone wearing blaze orange, anchored up, and started casting for fish it would cause him to overpressurize and cause a stroke.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I don't duck hunt, but I say we get a huge gang of nchuntandfish members together and crash that guy's party there next year. If about 10-15 boats pulled in there with everyone wearing blaze orange, anchored up, and started casting for fish it would cause him to overpressurize and cause a stroke.
Im in!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Why are duck hunters so hostile towards one another? Is it too few ducks available for too many hunters?

Two things...my personal experience is that they're a lot worse hiding behind keyboards most of the time, and most sensitive to location information blasted over the internet. I always hear things second and thirdhand but personally have never dealt with any of the hate or resentment personally. My experience has been at gamelands where I think everyone knows its a bit crowded and "it is what it is" somewhat permeates and everyone goes out and scratches out what opportunities they can and that's the end of it.

Second thing is, Blinds and Blind laws are always a really controversial subject. Yes, someone went to a lot of time and expense to build a blind, and its rude to hunt it without asking. The inverse of that is that in constructing a blind, your essentially claiming a piece of public ground as your own, with the expectation that everyone else leaves it alone. Then, depending on the laws of the county, it opens up another can of worms. Depending on the county, anyone can build a blind, and if in public water everyone has to give you 500 yards...but the blind isn't private. Hence all the comments of building a blind and finding it burnt to the ground or someone dumping corn in front of it and calling the wardens on you.

95% of the time you are absolutely right. However this year the public land hunting in the county where the infraction occurred was significantly better than the private land hunting. I would think the guy charged would have access to good exclusive Dare county blinds on Public water. A person with whom I frequently hunt is a friend of the Umplett family, he indicated the person charged sometimes guides for Dare to Hyde. If so he would have access to some of the best private land impoundments in the county.
I doubt that he has carte blanche to hunt there. I used to caddy at some pretty high end golf courses...We were allowed to golf, sometimes, but not often enough to scratch the itch if you really liked to golf.

I doubt their guides are allowed to hunt there except in special circumstances, especially as it almost seems like plenty of these guide services really don't turn business away, just call another guy with a boat to "guide" for them that morning...

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
So many variables in every story I’ve heard and every article I’ve read.

Blind in water.
Blind on land.
No blind at all.
Encounter occurred while boats were running.
Boats collided.
Purvis and Umphlett duked it out.
Umphlett punched Purvis once in head, once in shoulder.
Umphlett cut fuel line.
Umphlett yanked fuel line out of outboard.
Purvis pointed shotgun at Umphlett, and Umphlett proceeded to fight.

There will be more variations and tid bits added over the next few months.

Only 3 people actually know what happened that day.

Two witnesses will be coached on what to say and when to say it during the trial. I hope the defendant acts the same way in court as he did on the water.

<>< Fish

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
After reading all of this, I sure am glad I scratched the duck hunting itch 30 years ago and moved on to chasing other critters. I'd still like to have the opportunity to knock a few more down one day, but I don't believe it's worth it! Sounds too stressful. Ya'll have alot more patience than I do.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
not that this has anything to do with Jack but this is why I quit duck hunting 99.9 percent of where most duck hunters hunt. 1995 I said never again. now if i do duck hunt it is floating a creek or small river in a canoe. never had 1 problem doing that.

Same here. If I want to go bad enough I have a few wood duck holes but that is the extent of my duck hunting.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Capt. froggy told me he would take me in swan creek lake for a carton of smokes, a can of staring fluid and a six pack .........said we would kill’em!

Last edited:

FowlHunter09

Four Pointer
There is a bunch of people that make a living from guiding around there. I hate to know this guy pissed off some of them now that everyone and there momma is going to be trying to get there now. This isn't good for nobody

cgrsportsman17

Eight Pointer
A person with whom I frequently hunt is a friend of the Umplett family, he indicated the person charged sometimes guides for Dare to Hyde. If so he would have access to some of the best private land impoundments in the county..

He doesn't guide for Dare to Hyde, your friend has inaccurate info.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a buddy that is close personal friends with Jamin(DaretoHyde).......the info would not be very hard to confirm.....if y&#8217;all think it is necessary I will follow up....

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
I have a buddy that is close personal friends with Jamin(DaretoHyde).......the info would not be very hard to confirm.....if y&#8217;all think it is necessary I will follow up....

No need CG followed up and I believe his response. For the record my info must have been wrong.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
That is unfortunate. Was this related to his son's incidents or did he go after others?
What is the story on these incidents?