Complete info on Hyde County alleged waterfowl assault

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
All that discussion about blind laws and no one brought up or remembered that it was on a refuge where you cannot build a blind in the first place.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
All that discussion about blind laws and no one brought up or remembered that it was on a refuge where you cannot build a blind in the first place.
What discussion about blind laws? Oh, you mean from the other thread - my bad.

Last edited:

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The more I read about this incident, the more I'm reminded of how numb-nuts like Jarrod (and most thugs, in general) seem to always have the instinctual ability to know who they can and can't pull stunts like this on and get away with it unscathed.

It also reminds me of a saying one of my wise old co-workers used to say quite often: "All the wannabe bad azzez I know are dead or in prison."

Last edited:

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Would the blind be legal since it was in the middle of the water?? I know on land you couldnt do it but should be able to if it was in the middle of the lake, correct?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
seem to always have the instinctual ability to know who they can and can't pull stunts like this on and get away with it unscathed.

Except this loser assaulted and threatened two politically connected persons.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
In general, it gives me the shivers for me to think how I would have handled it if it were me he had assaulted. I've been mouthed off at a time or two while boating, but never to that extent.

WLshutrbug

Button Buck
The blind was on land and it doesn't matter where one would be built

Would the blind be legal since it was in the middle of the water?? I know on land you couldnt do it but should be able to if it was in the middle of the lake, correct?

Nowhere in the story does it say the blind was "in the water"....where did you read that? ....It wouldn't matter anyway....no permanent blinds can be built at a NWR and, for that matter, most NC game lands don't allow stick-built blinds....You can cut weeds, pick up stix, marsh grass, etc., and MAKE a blind that will work but no hammer and nail blinds allowed (nor bungee corded blinds, nor U-bolt clamped blinds or beveled 2x4s or 2x6s that fit blinds)....blinds MUST BE temporary, put together with on-hand natural materials, unless you want to carry a bush blind to a site, put it up, then take it down with you when you leave...visit

https://www.fws.gov/southeast/pdf/r...iver-national-wildlife-refuge-hunt.pdf....and find this paragraph:

The construction or use of permanent blinds, platforms, and/or ladders is prohibited. Hunting from a tree into which a metal object has been inserted is prohibited.

Besides that, the story isn't about a blind or no blind: it's about a guy with a string of assaults on his court record who pumps iron (benches 410 pounds) that is likely a steroid freak who gets out of control when anyone opposes him and he comes from a politically-connected family.

Last edited:

skimmer

Six Pointer
"major links to commercial fishing industry"

What's commercial fishing got to do with any of this??

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
"major links to commercial fishing industry"

What's commercial fishing got to do with any of this??
X2

This jackass doesn't have family in the commercial fishing industry. They own a marina that caters to recreational fishermen. The only commercial boats there are the Wicked Tuna boats and most of them don't even dock there. I don't know of anyone in his family that commercial fishes.

He is more tied to the recreational industry. They own Outer Banks Marina, Angler's Fish N Mate (all the rod racks, sand spikes, sand flea rakes, pier carts and such you see for sale in stores everywhere and at places like Cabela's and Bass Pro) and up til recently Harbor Welding that made towers and t-tops for recreational boats. Google search fish n mate and see how much commercial gear shows up............

http://www.rodrack.com/

http://obxmarina.com/cms/

http://harborwelding.com/

Last edited:

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
So many variables in every story I’ve heard and every article I’ve read.

Blind in water.
Blind on land.
No blind at all.
Encounter occurred while boats were running.
Boats collided.
Purvis and Umphlett duked it out.
Umphlett punched Purvis once in head, once in shoulder.
Umphlett cut fuel line.
Umphlett yanked fuel line out of outboard.
Purvis pointed shotgun at Umphlett, and Umphlett proceeded to fight.

There will be more variations and tid bits added over the next few months.

Only 3 people actually know what happened that day.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Nothing near "complete info". Same ol' conjecture and rumor. IF all that's reported is true, the man deserves all that the justice system can serve up, BUT, to the best of my knowledge, the accused has yet to be given the opportunity to give his side of the story publicly. I'm not condoning or endorsing, but something had to have set this man off other than a boat in the area he hunts.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Except this loser assaulted and threatened two politically connected persons.

You may have missed the point. He did what he did and walked away. He may well suffer some punishment for what he did, but it will come long after the fact. If those two had been seriously hurt or killed by this hoodlum, any kind of "justice" would be ring pretty hollow don't you think?

Personally, I place a much higher value on personal security than I do the administration of justice.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
They survived the encounter though so it worked out just pointing a shotgun at him (if it all went down the way its being written. Who knows)

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You may have missed the point. He did what he did and walked away. He may well suffer some punishment for what he did, but it will come long after the fact. If those two had been seriously hurt or killed by this hoodlum, any kind of "justice" would be ring pretty hollow don't you think?

Personally, I place a much higher value on personal security than I do the administration of justice.

Agreed. One thing is damned certain. He would have never boarded my boat or entered my blind. Not with me in posession of a shotgun.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
There are a lot of what ifs......the few things that stand out in my mind are 1. I happening in the middle of the refuge. Why was USFW nit involved? Who was with Mr Jarrod? What was said? Did the out of town guide and Mr Jarrod know each other prior? How did Mr Jarrod know who the guy from Plymouth was. If they all knew each other before hand if the victims shot back, that would create a gray area. We can all say what we would or wouldn’t have done in that situation but we wernt there. Me personally I never have access to my gun coming and going to the blind. I never allow a loaded gun in my boat, and 100% of the guns are in floating cases. If some big dude pounced on me in my boat, first thing I would be trying to do is get the monkey off me! My knife would be easier access than my gun. I would hope my buddies would pry him off! 30 deg. River water might have done ol Jarrod some good!

Last edited:

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
There are a lot of what ifs......the few things that stand out in my mind are 1. I happening in the middle of the refuge. Why was USFW nit involved? Who was with Mr Jarrod? What was said? Did the out of town guide and Mr Jarrod know each other prior? How did Mr Jarrod know who the guy from Plymouth was. If they all knew each other before hand if the victims shot back, that would create a gray area. We can all say what we would or wouldn’t have done in that situation but we wernt there. Me personally I never have access to my gun coming and going to the blind. I never allow a loaded gun in my boat, and 100% of the guns are in floating cases. If some big dude pounced on me in my boat, first thing I would be trying to do is get the monkey off me! My knife would be easier access than my gun. I would hope my buddies would pry him off! 30 deg. River water might have done ol Jarrod some good!

Perhaps you should consider that many of us have handguns concealed on our person for times such as these. ;-)

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
I understand that, but does castle doctrine still hold if al parties knew each other before hand? I am curious.......from what I remember from taking my class that could be a gray area.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I understand that, but does castle doctrine still hold if al parties knew each other before hand? I am curious.......from what I remember from taking my class that could be a gray area.

I could care less. I'm pushing 65 years and I'm too old to fight. You come at me with the intent to hurt me and your :donk:donk:donk is shot. Just that simple.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer

You absolutely have the right to defend yourself from someone you know. The gray area would be if the other party had instigated umphlett previously, thus provoking his actions.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I could care less. I'm pushing 65 years and I'm too old to fight. You come at me with the intent to hurt me and your :donk:donk:donk is shot. Just that simple.
Well said Mike. Lots of folks just don't know that old men will shoot your :donk:donk:donk [quickly] if you mess with them. This guy got lucky IMO because he assaulted someone with alot to lose by killing some idiot. If it had been most guys that I know [who are not gonna let anyone do this crap] they would have shot him when he touched their boat. Like me, they have a space around them that they will protect at all cost.
The Guvs kin did what he thought was right and that is OK but many would not of thought twice about killing this idiot.
I sure am glad that I am not a duck hunter............

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
not that this has anything to do with Jack but this is why I quit duck hunting 99.9 percent of where most duck hunters hunt. 1995 I said never again. now if i do duck hunt it is floating a creek or small river in a canoe. never had 1 problem doing that.