Best dang thing Iv had "squirrel"

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
Wish i knew how to load pics, but last night i made squirrel for the first time. Blew my mind how good it was.

boil for 30 to 40 min

dry them off, bread the in mosses flower, then dipped them in egg and then rolled them in bread crumbs.

Could not believe how good they were. I will be looking for more of those.

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
Tree rats and gravy are awful good. Spent a lot of fun days in woods with Blackie the fice dog. Wish I could find another good squirrel dog!

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dad used to make it in a caserole dish with squirrel and bacons and some onions...it was good. Maybe some type of cream of chicken or cream of celery.

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
A friend, a really poor friend, and his family used to make squirrel salad. No squirrel was too old, too small or too shot up. All went in the pressure cooker, meat was picked, and then celery onions mayo and spices were added.

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
A friend, a really poor friend, and his family used to make squirrel salad. No squirrel was too old, too small or too shot up. All went in the pressure cooker, meat was picked, and then celery onions mayo and spices were added.

Dang that sounds good

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
My grandmother used to boil’em like u did and just roll the pieces in some flour with a splash of salt a pepper. Fry it up in a cast iron skillet. Make gravy afterwards and her homemade biscuits. Good lord, I miss her something fierce!!!!!

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Steven Rinella said in the past that squirrel is one of his favorite meats, if not the favorite. All the wild game that guy has eaten and its a tree rat he likes the most. Never would have thought that.

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
Yea the episode where he went squirrel hunting with Kevin Murphy got me fired up to cook some up. Next year I'm going to load the freezer with them.

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Being from the Appalachian Mountains I was 20 years old before i realized that there were folks who DON'T eat squirrels. I am a lazy cook so I just use a Crock-Pot to cook squirrel on low heat for 6 or 8 hours. Then pick off the bones and add to browned onions celery and carrots, with homemade dumplings or noodles. No matter how much I make any leftovers disappear quickly. "Mountain Chicken'...

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I once told a man that I was gonna use squirrel to help feed my 3 dogs and he was highly offended until I explained I eat it as well lol

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
From the age of 14 to 17 (from when i could legally hunt by myself to when i joined uncle sams military) i probably ate squirrel 2-3 times a week from mid sept to end of December (squirrel season back there).

Love squirrel meals. Don't do it much lately but might have to start back squirrel hunting more

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns

Same thing for rabbits. My brother and me would shot up a wad of rabbits. Bring them home and daddy would dress them out. Ma would throw them in a pot and cook them till the meat started coming off the bone. Then make Rabbit Salad. Some was bbq'd, some fried... man that was good. Never found so many rabbits in one place in my life.

Check in the Recipe section for more ideas to do squirrel.

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
Grew up eating a lot of squirrel. My grandfather always had to have the heads, he loved the brains.

Had a major disagreement with a good friend in college over this. I grew up "knowing" the only right way to shoot squirrels was head shots with a .22 - anything else was unsporting and a waste of meat. He grew up cracking heads and eating brains and "knowing" the only right way was body shots with a tight choked shotgun to save that delicate head.

We never did change the others mind - and I still won't eat brains.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Had a major disagreement with a good friend in college over this. I grew up "knowing" the only right way to shoot squirrels was head shots with a .22 - anything else was unsporting and a waste of meat. He grew up cracking heads and eating brains and "knowing" the only right way was body shots with a tight choked shotgun to save that delicate head.

We never did change the others mind - and I still won't eat brains.

Far and away the best part of the squirrel. Jaw muscles, tongue, and then turn the skull sideways, bite either side of the skull cap and it will lift like a car hood and then suck out the brains. Graphic, I know, but they really are good.

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Been making squirrel soft tacos a lot recently from last year's harvest. Time to harvest some more soon....

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Grandma used to cook them in the pressure cooker and the meat would fall off the bone. Then she would whoop up some gravy, add the squirrel and serve over toast or biscuits. I miss grandma and her cookin.
My mother and grandmother used to cook squirrels and other game in pressure cooker too. I did that for a couple years until I realized that cooking in a Crock-Pot requires less attention ("tending"). I use about 1/2 chicken bullion cube with 1 or 2 squirrels in the Crock-Pot, enough water to be 1/2 inch deep, cook on low 6-8 hours.