Last hunt for the season.

JD1107

Good luck to everyone who’s out! Enjoy the last day and be safe.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
First spot was a creek where I usually see wood ducks and divers right at first light, sat till 8 and didn't see anything. We moved to a nearby hole where there's usually wood ducks and I could hear them chattering before the water was even in view. Got to the edge and saw a good size flock on the water. The dog was a couple steps ahead of me and when they saw him come into the opening on the bank where I planned to shoot from, they flushed, just a few seconds before I would've had a clear shot. Gonna try to get back out a little later.

Sapperman

Spike
ca8b745b79889d74473e29f41a7ad501.jpg
3eb3679b3ccc64018a6ddcdaeb126a94.jpg

We got a snow this morning!

We have seen him in random groups of geese near by for about two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
I thought it was a good hunt today, even though we did not get any birds. Got to see more birds moving then we've seen most of the season in the foothills. 3 of us hunting. Birds started flying about 7:15.
We worked a group of mallards into our beaver pond. Well they landed outside of our decoys and just outside our shooting range and swam to the other side of the pond. They were quacking it up and swimming around.
Now they became the new improved decoys. So then a bigger group of about 20 came flying over. We called them in too but they went and joined the real ducks.
It sucks to set up on Y and the ducks go to X. 2 of us decided to try to sneak around the pond and push them out. Didn't work they flew in the opposite direction before we could get close enough. All this excitement before 8:30.
Fast forward till about 10:30. No more birds flying over. So shooting the breeze, practicing our calls and a crazy sounding "hail" call. Sounded like someone stepped on duck as it was quacking. We laughed our butts off. Well, while the " hailer" was adjusting his call lanyard, waving his arms around, a pair of Redheads came out of nowhere, and were about to land in our, dead still decoys not 20yds away. I swear their wing tips almost touched the water. They lifted at the motion they saw.
We did hit a call and got them to circle but landed in the back of the pond about 100+ yds away from us.
And guess what, none of us had a gun in hand. I had mine on my kayak gun rest, the other 2 had theirs hanging on a tree branch rest.
We had a good time, told stories, and laughed.
So another duck hunt & season, in the history books. To be used for future story telling. A tough season, a Safe season.
Now i will go enjoy me a Corona and a Cigar. Looking forward the break and next season. HA, my wife was ready for it to end too....
Buy hey, mountain trout season and turkey season are fast approaching.
101b6199568ca8dac91091ba0ff54a91.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
No birds tonight, heard a couple woodies squealing on the otherside of the swamp but they wouldn't move and at that point it was too late to try to move. Still a good day, just would've liked to get the dog on a few more retrieves. Maybe we can get out for some quail in the next few weeks.