Questions About Dog Hunting,

Chancegrayl

Button Buck
Morning/ Evening Yall have a few questions about dog hunting for yall. I used to hunt on still hunting property out towards Truitt and Walker road in New Bern and have help other hunters come and get their dogs or bring the dogs to them, but never actually hunted with dogs. So here's my questions and any advise would be greatly appreciated.

1. How many dogs do you own that you run deer with?
2. How did you start hunting with dogs?
3. Do you use Iron Sights or A Scope?
4. If you don't have dogs whats the best practice to "repay" the dog owners that you hunt with?

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
1. I don’t currently have deer dogs but when I did I usually hunted 6-8 at a time.
2. My dad got me into dog hunting. He had dogs and we always hunted with dogs. Deer, rabbit etc...
3 I usually just carry my shotgun with iron sights. I’ve known some that likes to get in th fields or big cutover with a rifle but I prefer to be in the woods with a shotgun.
4 best way to repay a dog man for taking you hunting is stay with him and help him get all of his dogs up. Can’t tell you how many times people hung with me all day, calling on the radio and doing what they could to cut dogs off. Then about dark the crowd got thin and I was stuck out looking for dogs in the dark by myself after everyone who hunted with me and enjoyed my dogs all day went home.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
1. I have 15, this includes 3 pups not trained yet. My hunting buddy has 9, including 3 pups not trained yet. We prefer to hunt together to keep the dogs under control better. We will hunt as many as 18 at the time. I will hunt as many as 8, if I run them by myself.
2. I grew up in a dog hunting area. Even though I didn't dog hunt when I first started to hunt deer. Dogs would bring them through, I would get excited. Well, When I turned 18 I joined a dog club, 32 years later I still love hunting with the hounds. When I was younger I could not afford to have hounds, so I just helped my friends train and break their hounds. Some good times there gone, as some of my mentors have since passed on. I have raised my own hounds now for about 20 years.
3. I have used shotgun bead. Open sights on shotguns and rifles. I have also used scopes on both. Open areas the scopes work good, in the woods open sights work better for me. I always thought a reflex sight would be good for the woods.
4. If he/she ask you to try and catch a dog near you, try. Have a dog box, so you will have a place to put a dog you catch. Tell them you enjoyed the hunt and about what you saw. I know part of my enjoyment while hunting deer with dogs, is having others enjoy the hunt.

Last edited: