So i had a trap stolen yesterday morning

mattharris0414

Set a new trap on a land lease on sunday only find it dug yesterday morning. There were tracks left in the snow back to the guys house so it was pretty easy to guess who took it. Took pictures of the tracks and then called the Sheriff to report the Trespassing and Theft. Also called the Warden and told him about it to see what he said. So later in the day i hear from the landowner who tells me the guys wife texted and said they found a fox in a leg trap on ger property and released it. Long story short... they put the trap back where they found it but still they commites three crimes from what i see with trespassing, stealing, and releasing an animal from someone elses trap. Even with all this evidence do you think anything will be done? Oh and to top it off, the neighbor lady who helped release the fox, claims she raised it, along with some crows she keeps as pets and squirrels and clains she is a wildlife rehabilitator (even though shes not on the registered list at NCWRC). And the icing on the cake for me is this lady is supposedly an ex-police officer who teaches ccw classes and is bailbondsman(or as she likes to call it... Fugitive Recovery Agent) who should know the law and how many crimes she was commiting... makes me mad how crazy some people can be....

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
So who's property was the trap on? Hers or the land that you have leased? How did they take the trap and then put it back? I know that if some one digs out my trap they going to have a long day digging.

mattharris0414

It was on the land i have leased. I had a drive in stake hokding it in place, not one the my wolf fangs.. ground is soft here now from the snow and rain. It was a 2ft stake.

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
Soon all her "rehab pets" would come up missing. I believe I would move that trap, its on going to get messed with by them every chance or set and put camera on it. They mess with it, and get them cited for hunter harassment.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Unless you file charges, it will probably happen again...if not to you, another trapper.

Those type of folks might learn, since it will cost them a few $$.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
You are in a tough situation if the landowner knows them. he may take their side and end the lease. It all depends on the landowner you have it leased from. He may frown upon you having neighbors charged . Depends on his thoughts on trapping I guess.

JoeR

Eight Pointer
In my experience, nothing will get done. Photos of the tracks in the snow, trail camera footage, damaged property, whatever. I've had zero luck getting help with that. I assume it's not a high priority crime, and develops little interest. I'd move on. It's cheaper financially and way less aggravation.
Joe

mattharris0414

Yeah it just gripes my:donk that the smoke and mirrors that our law enforcement has these days.. why make laws we wont enforce

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I would have to agree with Putt and Mack. Best case the landowner says you can't trap anymore, worse case you lose the lease. If you had caught a pet you might really have a "situation" on your hands. You can stand behind all the laws you want but as the saying goes you might win the battle but lose the war.

Last edited: