1/6/18 - I've been colder, but cant remember when.

ascain

Button Buck
A little late posting this, but went to Pamlico during the big freeze this year. Temps were around 12 that morning and I was told with the wind chill it was around 5. We had some success with the birds, four bluebills and a bufflehead. The main reason I am posting is because I was blown away by the amount of ice on the sound, thought others might find it interesting too. Ice was between two and three inches thick. Heading back in wasnt too bad, just had to go slow. Other boats had kept the slush from refreezing completely. Leaving the ramp that morning in the dark though we got off the track that everyone had been using the past couple of days. That got a little hairy. Everyone in both boats we were on made it out dry though.

IMG_9917.jpg
IMG_9920.jpg
IMG_9921.jpg
IMG_9913.jpg

Last edited:

LawDog

Ten Pointer
Never seen the sound with that much ice...y'all worked for them ducks. Glad it was a safe trip.

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
Was the blue bill with the greenish tint head bigger than the others? Doesn't look like it in the pic, just curious.

ascain

Button Buck
Looks dangerous. Glad you had some luck and made it out and back safely.

Oh we knew how dumb we were. We kept saying, "All this over a duck." Everybody was just real careful and thankfully we didn't run into any problems.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Got to be really hard on the boat and motor also.

I don't want a duck that bad.
Glad all made it back safe.

tk26

Six Pointer
How far out did the ice go?

All of Long Bay was frozen over with about 2" of ice. We were down there that weekend too. What was crazy is Friday on the way back in we didn't have to go through any ice. On the way out Saturday morning the entire bay was frozen. It was rough.
IMG-2253.jpg

Last edited:

tk26

Six Pointer
I've never seen anything like that around here.
[video=youtube;eM3vuUPQGrw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM3vuUPQGrw[/video]