What do you hunt with

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Cva apex 12 gauge with Carlson EF choke, shooting 3 inch mix of 7&9 TSS. Topped with vortex strikefire II.
115a89f5558a4a326143fc6819ae90d4.jpg

870 express 20 gauge with sure shot stock, .575 Carlson choke, vortex venom, 2 3/4 TSS #9 IMG_0634.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
My Dad's 68 year old Rem 11-48 in 12ga 30" full shooting #4 heavy handloads that I loaded for mallards back before the lead ban for waterfowl. I'm one of those "run what you brung" type of people who eschews buying special guns for specific game, and I like calling them in close.

Randy

Ten Pointer
mid 1990s vintage 870 express 3" with a 28" barrel and single silver bead that cost about $215. Also a Hastings choke (.650 I believe) that my late, older brother bought in the 1980s and gave to me. Other than that the only things I've added to it are a sling and limbsaver pad. For ammo, I mainly use Win HV #4.

IMG_0456.JPG

Last edited:

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Original black Benelli SBE. Bought new for $700 a looooong time ago... Thing has killed enough birds to fill a dump truck.
Carlson's .650 tube and 3-1/2" #5 shot.
Killed at all ranges from 3 yards to 65.... Prefer 25 cause I like the show... I quit the long range waylay game a long time ago. If he don't want to put on a show, I move on.

Got bored a couple years back and switched to using compound doing run and gun without a blind.... Wow is that stuff fun...
First three days of season had 13 birds in shotgun range and only killed one...

Set the decoys up 40 yards behind/past you, get nestled in behind a pine or cedar and schwack them at 20 yards when they strut by... works like a charm in the mountains calling them down old logging roads in steep country.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Ole Rusty, an old ugly black 12 guage 870 spt that unless it is soaked in oil continuously; rusts at a clap of thunder.

that matte finish is awful. It is highlighted by a rhino choke tube so old that it is shiny; so i have to use a sharpie to dull it

it is the subject of ridicule whenever the general public is exposed to it.

Craig Hall is still laughing after our Nebraska adventure last year. I put it in his room and took his by mistake.

We had a similar soft case. He couldnt figure out exactly what had happened to the gun he brought. LOL

Answer of the day. Love this post.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
4 turkeys
2 with 2 different bows and setups
2 with 2 different 12ga guns. An 870 and a little short single shot I built.

I have a little 20ga mossberg 500 with a 24" barrel that I put ghost ring dead ringer sights on that I will tote this year.
I messed up last year with that darn single shot and wish I had a follow up. Note don't put pressure on the trigger until you have settled your aim.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
Benelli Nova tactical 12 ga with 18” barrel, ghost ring sights, and a cylinder bore with 3 1/2” 3rd degree flight control wad.

Crappie man

Six Pointer
835 ulti mag 12ga
870 SPS Turkey 12 ga
Have a Franchi Affinity 3 MOBL 20 ga on order for my next turkey gun project.Hoping it comes in before the season starts.Got my #9 TSS loads ready for it.

Blades

Six Pointer
Go to:

Remington 870 Express 12 ga/ Red Dot/ Long Beard XR #6

One offs:

Winchester 410 Semi Auto
Beretta 12ga A400 Unico
Excalibur 380 Blackout

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Mossberg 535 Turkey Thug, 20" bbl with extended XX full choke. A 3.5" shell fired in it will make you see stars:eek:. I hate checking the pattern on it before each season but never feel it looking at a tom!!

PG2

Ten Pointer
Remington 870 Supermag, 26” barrel with primos jelly head. I also use a red dot 30mm tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SUDDEN IMPACT

Eight Pointer
I shoot a Mossberg 835 with a kicks choke. I bought it from a member of the ol NCDeer site. I can't think of his name, but that gun is a killer

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Have my 870 20 ga youth from when i was in school. put an adult speedfeed stock on it, mounted some ghost ring sights to it and got some TSS from Hal.

stanley

Four Pointer
Started out with a model 12 with a 28" full choke barrel using plain 2 3/4 old hi-brass 6s. Then in the early 90s i was convinced that I couldnt kill turkeys with that rig anymore. So I got a 835 3 1/2 because thats what you had to have to kill a turkey.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Started out with a model 12 with a 28" full choke barrel using plain 2 3/4 old hi-brass 6s. Then in the early 90s i was convinced that I couldnt kill turkeys with that rig anymore. So I got a 835 3 1/2 because thats what you had to have to kill a turkey.
Brother, you had it figured out the first time. I'm thinking this, #8s lead. 100'. It is a turkey shoot card but... a live bird doesn't walk through this. It penetrates into a piece of plywood.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
06da55fc5386de7d5d66862ae98f5c4b.jpg

Last edited:

Taproot

I alternate between my grandfather's Browning A5 and my Benelli Super Black Eagle. One for nostalgia. One for max range.

Last edited by a moderator: