Red-Dot

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Playing with a TSS setup and interested in a red dot or reflex sight. So, any suggestions from anyone?

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
Burris FF3 or Vortex Venom.

I have the FF3 as well as a Burris SpeedBead 135 on two turkey shotguns. I prefer to use a red dot when turkey hunting.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I ran a Browning for a while. It sat too high and the dot would bleed into some backgrounds. I went with a scope. I don't like it either for close woods. If I were to rebuild a turkey only shotgun it would no doubt have iron movable sights. Rifle sights.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you need a scope or red dot to kill a turkey.....you likely need to work on calling more than optics!! Just messin with you guys....got a ring around my eye from the first scope on a shotgun......been lovin my brass bead ever since......

Last edited:

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I have several Burris FF2's and 3's on all my turkey guns. They all sit on a marlin 336 base for the lowest mounting option. Never had one single issue in years. No dead batteries, never lost zero.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am going to put a red dot on mine in the next month or two. I've been using the shurshot stock on my 870 with moveable fiber optic sights, and they sit too low for that stock. Love the stock, but the comb is so high it's like getting punched in the face with every shot (3 1/2" mag blend). I am going to have a filling replaced at the dentist in a few weeks that cracked loose on my upper right side.

I'm looking for a good red dot - compact, lightweight, open field of view, and $100 or less preferably.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I highly recommend the vortex venom. The Burris is just as good from what I hear, I just own several venoms. Work perfectly. Open field of view, quick target acquisition, long battery life, and a lot cheaper than many other brands at the same quality. I have a strikefire as well that works great too, just not as wide of a field of view as the reflex sights. If you’re gun isn’t rigged to hold a rail already and you can stand the way the speed bead looks, that’s probably the best option considering bang for your buck. But no matter what you go with, if it’s a good red dot, you’ll love what it does for your shooting. Just my 2 cents.
c59bdd465ed76a0f4502e76d83d6617c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dhsten

Ten Pointer
I have several Burris FF2's and 3's on all my turkey guns. They all sit on a marlin 336 base for the lowest mounting option. Never had one single issue in years. No dead batteries, never lost zero.

Best setup I think you can do for dots on a turkey gun.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have one of these I'd sell for $50, paid $90. Holds zero great with 12 ga slugs, be nice for turkey with the circle dot.

Bushnell Trophy 1x28 Red/Green Dot Rifle Scope 4 Interchangeable Reticles ... Packed with 8 different reticle options, this versatile red dot offers a 3 MOA dot, 10 MOA dot, crosshairs or 65 MOA ring with a 3 MOA dot. All in green for low light or red for bright light.
Unlimited eye relief for handguns, shotguns and rifles
Dial-in electronic crosshairs
Multi-coated optics
Amber-Bright™ high contrast lens coating
100% waterproof/fogproof/shockproof construction
Dry-nitrogen filled
CR2032 battery
Rings Included

Attachments

• 41NnP3x2dJL.jpg
    41NnP3x2dJL.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Last year I gave up on iron sights on my turkey gun due to my eyes refusing to focus on them in dim light. After some trial and lots of error I settled on the bigger tube of the Tru-Glo Gobble Stopper..it's made for turkey guns and I think they got it right. I tried the smaller sights and never found one that either let enough light through in the early AM...or the dot/circle/reticle got lost in the background in low light.
I never could get used to the halo style sights..or maybe I just never trusted them enough since most of my experience with optics has been with the tube style scopes.

https://www.truglo.com/optics-red-dots/gobble-stopper-30mm-dual-color.asp

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've got an older TruGlo that came off a different gun, but it's big, heavy, and doesn't have a very wide field of view. I'm not sure I will like it on a turkey gun. I've heard good things about the Bushnell TRS-25 being one of the best values for the money.

My biggest question is how do the cheaper sights handle recoil? My turkey gun has by far more recoil than any other gun I shoot.

Last edited:

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I like the Vortex Venom. I have an eotech on my turkey rig, but I'd rather have the Vortex. I have the Vortex Venom on a pistol and really like it.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I have a trijicon rmr, don't like it. Has a funny tint to it and the the dot it too big. What I do like about it is no batteries. I hunt with several guys that use the Leopold delta points and the Vortex Venoms. I was debating between the two. I chose the Leopold delta point pro.

Leupold Delta Point pro - Has sleep mode, when the gun doesn't move it goes to sleep. It also sleeps when the cover is on it. You can leave it on and not burn up the battery. Battery on the pro is also replaceable without having to take the sight off, better than the original. Good clear optic from a good company. Cons - more expensive than the Vortex, have to but mount separate.

Vortex - Good clear optic with a lot of adjustment in dot brightness. Very good price point. Cons - having to remember to turn it on. For me that was a deal breaker, having to remember one more thing when the bird in coming in was more than I wanted to deal with.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
My biggest question is how do the cheaper sights handle recoil? My turkey gun has by far more recoil than any other gun I shoot.

Lots of guys on other various turkey forums using the TRS-25, never heard of one breaking due to recoil. Lots of good reviews if the "tube" type sight is what you're considering. Id choose it over the truglo/mueller dot sights for sure.

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
I have one that Eric revo has. Mine was one of the older models that was made in the early 90`s. It's a 40mm view. It has a halo crosshair, it serves as a range finder also. Birds head fits the halo shoot.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lots of guys on other various turkey forums using the TRS-25, never heard of one breaking due to recoil. Lots of good reviews if the "tube" type sight is what you're considering. Id choose it over the truglo/mueller dot sights for sure.

I prefer the reflex sights due to the open field of view, but that one seemed like a really solid option for the price. Compact, lightweight also. The quality reflex sights seem to be quite a bit higher.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had the Bushnell TRS-25...and sold it to a member on here since it didn't work for me on my turkey set up due to limited light gathering and field of view.
I initially used it on a mini-30 and it did fine since I never hunted with that set up. I have since gone to a 2-7 Vortex Viper on the mini-30 and the Gobbler Stopper on the turkey set up. I never had a minutes problem with the Bushnell.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Are you saying it didn't perform well at low light? Legal shooting light, but you couldn't see through it?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Are you saying it didn't perform well at low light? Legal shooting light, but you couldn't see through it?

My personal experience with it was that in low light early AM it didn't let enough light through to see a turkey sneaking through the bushes....I do have some eye issues that prevent me from seeing well in low light anyway so that complicates things a bit more than some may have. The Gobbler Stopper doesn't have the same problems for me....but that's just my personal experience, YMMV.

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
My fastfire III and 336 base arrived today for 20 gauge setup and tss shot. Have same on 835 and just got tired of crap being kicked out of me. Turkey killing machine though. 3 MOA

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
My fastfire III and 336 base arrived today for 20 gauge setup and tss shot. Have same on 835 and just got tired of crap being kicked out of me. Turkey killing machine though. 3 MOA
Fyi rem nitro turkey 1.25oz #6 shot throws great patterns out to 50yds.
Something to try. I'm rolling 20ga this year. I have also heard great things about heavy weight 7s.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Attachments

• opplanet-weaver-converta-mount-systems.jpg
    opplanet-weaver-converta-mount-systems.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
His 870 has to have a rail to mount the mount to. If your 870 isn’t drilled and tapped already, I’d go with a solid metal saddle mount. Mine has an Aimtech on it and it seems well built and doesn’t flex. Buds gun shop has them for around $30.
139046744135bb00953d8278083ef8f9.jpg

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I wish I could find a mount for my Franchi 912 Variomax

Sumtoy customs will do a custom one for a burris FF3 or Vortex Venom and I believe hes reasonable for custom work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk