2018 Shed hunting thread

sjohn

Button Buck
Found this woodcock hunting the last week of January. Looks like it was a year old. Harper did not find this skull however she has brought a few back to me already. Never trained her on it but it wouldn't take but a day. Dogs are smart. I can remember a few years ago when there were no woodcock around, we started shaking squirrel nests. Within just a few shakes, the dogs had abandoned the woodcock hunt and started site hunting the tops of trees. What are ya gonna do? IMG_4229.jpg

IMG_20180218_174825.jpg haven't officially been shed hunting yet , found the dead head yesterday and the little shed pulling cameras today ..I'll be looking more in March , still got several deer still holding

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
IMG_6393.jpg
IMG_6422.jpg

Finding bones... just not the right ones but still having fun.

Attachments

• IMG_6422.jpg
    IMG_6422.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 349

guiltycounty

Six Pointer
Have to agree with Craig, it sure helps shed hunting if there are any bucks. LOL.

BTW i just read where I believe it was Colorado is now requiring a license to shed hunt. In fact according to the report a permit is required to have possession of antlers. I'm wondering if I reading something into this that isn't there? The wording is specific you must have the permit to possess antlers. My thoughts: What if someone is hunting and tags a buck. That person has possession of antlers. What if a private land owner finds sheds on his/her private property. IMO Colorado is becoming one hell of a lot like California, stupid laws.

My sister and BIL live in Colorado. When I was out there in November I spoke to a wildlife officer who was checking our fishing licenses. We got to talking and he said the shed hunting had gotten so popular there and competitive that they started the license for it to take the pressure off the wildlife.

So many people tramping around keeps constant pressure/stress on everything and they felt they needed a break so they could have a natural “resting” period like they used to before the shed fever got so hot. There is some money to be made out west if you can get your hands on enough elk sheds. I respected the logic but am also glad to see that shed hunting has grown.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
IMG_6504.jpg

Was fixing a fence this afternoon and found a 2016 model. The buck that wore this is still alive.

Last edited:

guiltycounty

Six Pointer
This year’s finds after 3 trips. Have found 4 additional turtle shells then what’s pictured but gave away a couple.

9EBB6557-DBCB-4E0E-9E63-98EB0688A8AD.jpg

F6BA771D-4E6D-4B06-B544-0CA63840D0C5.jpg

Last edited:

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Found this one Sat. Appears to be older. Pics have bucks still with horns

Attachments

• 0224180809.jpg
    0224180809.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 278

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All my bucks were still holding last week. I only had one picture of a shed buck. I saw a nice one still with a full rack on the way to the DDC this morning.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
I got fresh rubs in the pasture yesterday and one in heat from all the tracks back and forth in the mud.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
seen a bachelor group this morning on the way to work my pup,,,,,one nice 8 still was toting his rack,,tall and proud

GreenThumb

Button Buck
Green up has come on so early again this year that my shed hunting has been hurt. I usually wait till March 1st in hopes all the bucks have dropped, but now the wheat is a foot tall! Walked two hours today in some thick nasty stuff with zero. Last Sunday walked 3 hours found one nice freshie and one small oldie.

Attachments

• B8413CE1-809C-4ED3-872B-9BFEBD5405D5.jpg
    B8413CE1-809C-4ED3-872B-9BFEBD5405D5.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 343

Gilly

Ten Pointer
Walked for four hours on Saturday and did not find any sheds. Jumped a spike and he was obviously still holding. Pulled three cameras and the majority of bucks were still holding. Only one completely shed and two young bucks with one side. Southern Alamance County.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Found a couple small ones today while liming food plots. The camera card shows most still holding though.