Original lone wolf assault stand vs newer models?

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I have an opportunity to buy a lone wolf assault ( hang on) for cheap but would need to purchase a new seat pad and straps. If my research is correct I believe the stands are real light(8.5lbs)but I’m not sure they have the offset features of the newer Lonewolf models (is one concern) Does anyone have any positive or negative about the old school lone wolf assault tree stands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Here is a pic.Does anyone know if this hook in the red circle is some kind of pre versa-button strap latch? Not sure I am liking that very much if that’s the case.

76be7930ab3a68b1e7b876fbdcdbbfb0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
bump......surprised we dont have anybody that used one of these older models with all the lone wolf fans on this site.

At this point I will probably just buy it regardless due to the price. If I dont like it it will be my ' leave on public land' stand - it wont hurt too bad if it were stolen.

I really am curious about what the hook in the red circle is all about....so if anyone can explain what that is it would be helpful.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Looks like that black rope goes around the tree and hooks on the hook.

Replace that with a good strap and you should be good to go.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Looks like that black rope goes around the tree and hooks on the hook.

Replace that with a good strap and you should be good to go.

That is what the guy who is selling it is saying but the fact that it looks like an open hook gives me reservations....doesnt seem like the safest mechanism. I guess I could just add an extra rachet strap.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That hook would also work with a chain. You could back it up with a ratchet strap.

Best idea yet, if the extra weight of the chain doesn't bother you. All of my strap-on stands get a chain added. I'm not worried about that rotting or breaking.

Some people really desire the older moldels but they aren't adjustable like the new ones. That hook looks like LW easy hang system. I would get a versa button and LW strap to keep the weight down
Just my opinion....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
That hook would also work with a chain. You could back it up with a ratchet strap.

That isnt a bad idea, especially if I decide to leave it in the woods for a period of time. That said, the more I research these models I am seeing there is alot of folks the prefer these older models. I am picking it up friday and going to give it some TLC and will post pics once I get it in hunting condition.

Thanks everyone.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Some people really desire the older moldels but they aren't adjustable like the new ones. That hook looks like LW easy hang system. I would get a versa button and LW strap to keep the weight down
Just my opinion....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

yeah, I will definitely look into that. I really like the versa button concept. I am just going to get it and see what I can figure out.. Looks like they are really light stands, which is a huge benefit. Wish they had the leveling platform but I will most likely pick up a new one as well for my every day hang on stand.