Patriot and or Durana clover

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I used to have several large Durana clover plots...the deer and turkey loved them. They are slow to get established at times but once they get established they are pretty easy to keep up with. The Durana has smaller leaves than some of the others so turkeys really seem to like that variety.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Like mentioned Durano is a little slower to get established but I like it the best. The deer have ours chewed down to the ground right now but it will come in full force in very early spring. Easy to take care of when established. I just mow mine and spray for some grasses.

clover-L.jpg

20170910_185711-L.jpg

20170409_182029-L.jpg

20170401_194324-L.jpg

kauaihunta

Button Buck
25.....beautiful plot!! What do you do for weed control if any? I heard mowing is the main one but have also read about spraying it with specific poisons.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I mow the clover plots 3 to 4 times a year. I also spray for grass and do a little over.seeding in the early early.spring

25.....beautiful plot!! What do you do for weed control if any? I heard mowing is the main one but have also read about spraying it with specific poisons.

kauaihunta

Button Buck
I’ve read that arrest works well as far as the spraying goes. When would y’all recommend the initial planting? In spring or fall?

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Fall is the best for Durano if you are establishing a plot. I frost overseed in february. Wasted a lot of money trying to establish Durano plots in the spring.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Fall is the best for Durano if you are establishing a plot. I frost overseed in february. Wasted a lot of money trying to establish Durano plots in the spring.
Absolutely right..they can't take the summer drought or heat until their crown gets well established.
That variety also loves potash...that really seems to make it take off once the second and third set of leaves come on.