UKC Nite Hunts

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Anyone on the boards go to the Nite hunts? I've never been to one and swore off competition hunting but here lately have THOUGHT about putting one of my young dogs in a smaller local hunt this spring or summer. Only major concern I'd have is having to turn loose in a bad spot. Don't mean a spot that doesnt have any coons but a spot next to a four lane or a small patch of woods with a major road 200 yards on the other side.

muzzymomentless

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I started competition hunting again this past spring after several years of not hunting. Nothing major just a few local hunts. I was on one cast where the dogs got near the road a couple times but was able to call time out and retrieve them with no problem. I had a good time on all the casts and was able to make my gyp a night champion and a show champion in five hunts with two seconds and a first. I'm about ready to hit a few again.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Back when I coon hunted I did 4 competition hunts,,,,1 was fun, 1 was ok, and two were the stereotypical bs

If I coon hunted still I'd pleasure hunt - folks can have that nite hunt stuff

CoonHntr

Four Pointer
Back when I coon hunted I did 4 competition hunts,,,,1 was fun, 1 was ok, and two were the stereotypical bs

If I coon hunted still I'd pleasure hunt - folks can have that nite hunt stuff

I'm with you. I hunt to have fun, not to go home angry because someone cheated me out of a win.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a personal grudge against UKC for something they did to a club not keeping their word in a cur hunt so I didn't partake of any of their hunts after that. That being said I have long been through with the comp hunts. I have friends that do here in NC and especially SC. The ones they hunt in they say more times than not you put your dog in the box bloody just about every night and if you don't have a dog that can handle teeth pressure you will not place. Soooooo, it would not be a place for me in those kind of hunts anyway.

Belews Boy

Six Pointer
Try it and make your call. Like everyone else said you may have a good group on a cast or you may get a bad group. Same with the dogs. I used to go some just to hunt some different places and see some different dogs. Had some good cast and bad.

Ncgundogs

Spike
Nite hunts are not for everyone as a veteran of them for 31 years you must have thick skin and know the rulebook most of the BS you run across is in the Big hunts most local hunts are pretty fun pkc hunts are what I find to be the most fun I hope to get my young dog going good enough to put her in a few hunts in the fall so if you try them and have a good experience stick with them Coon hunters are a special breed of people not many left these days the sport needs new blood to continue this great american tradition