Marlin 1895

2LazyHounds

Button Buck
I'm considering getting a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun. I've been doing a lot of research and have found some negative comments about the rifles produced after Remington purchased Marlin. I understand there were a lot of quality control issues. Most of the comments I've read are from a few years ago though. Does anyone have a new one and can tell me if the issues have been resolved? Also, if you own a 1895, what kind of modifications have you done? I'm thinking about the Wild West trigger and extractor kit and some new sights but haven't found a set I'm totally in love with. Thanks.

I had an early 'remlin' and traded it off... learned that lesson the hard way! I have heard that the newer productions from Remington have worked out a lot of the issues, and they are putting out a much higher quality rifle now. As far as sights go I'd look into the ghost rings by XS sights systems. They have some nice picatinny rails & a mixture of both!

BWard

Button Buck
Bought one last August. Only one issue and that was with the sights. Rear sight adjusted all the way up would not hit target at 100 yards. Shooting way low with two different bullets. Bought a Skinner rear peep sight and had it sighted in with three rounds. Feeds and ejects like any other Marlin I've used. Love the laminated stock and big loop on mine.

2LazyHounds

Button Buck
I'm glad to hear they worked out the issues. I guess it's time to start saving. I'm torn when it comes to the sights though. Right now it's between Skinner and XS. I have a set of Skinners on a Henry and I like them. I just worry about the peep sight getting knocked around on a brush gun. And I like the idea of the ghost ring and rail XS offers, I just think it takes away from the look of a classic lever gun a bit. I wish someone offered a ghost ring sight with tritium inserts for low light. I have a set from Scattergun for my home defense 870 and love them.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I bought a Cowboy model a couple years ago. I had to send it back and have it rebarreled. They messed the bore up when they cut the rifling. The rifle was fixed and I wouldn't trade it for anything. If you buy one you can inspect before you purchase, look over it good. I think if you do this you will be satisfied with the purchase of a new Marlin 1895.

I prefer the Williams sights, but I know there are Skinner people and Williams people. The one thing I do know is screw the peep out and you have a ghost ring. I have also painted my front blade face white, then applied glow in the dark glue. It works pretty good in low light. Merit make an adjustable aperture. https://www.eabco.com/merit_apertures.html

Last edited: