Your opinions on mineral supplements

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
There's a ton of information out there about whitetails, minerals, and the use of mineral supplements. Some of this info seems to be more marketing-oriented than science-based, and its hard to sift through it all and come away with any degree of confidence that you've correctly separated the truth from the hype. Amidst all this conflicting information, we hunters seem to have our own varying opinions about them, and that's what I was wanting to get a feel for.

What's your personal opinion about the use of mineral supplements for whitetails? Do you think they improve the herd's overall health? Do you think they improve antler growth? Do you think they are an effective attractant? Do you use them? Why or why not? If you do use them, what do you use? What results have you had?

So let's hear it...tell us about the world of minerals according to YOU. I look forward to the feedback.

davidson county

Eight Pointer
I use a block. don't know if it helps the herds. I do know they like it and visit it when fresh greens are hard to find. one place that had a block at, still gets dug in after 10 years of nothing on the ground. main use is to let them know that a source is near and keep them from wondering to find other places.

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
This is just my opinion, but I don't believe any of the feeds/seeds/supplements are a magic potion.

It has been my experience, that if you can provide something that is lacking nutrionally then you will attract game. But if you are providing. What they already have available then you are enriching the sellers and nothing else.

Couple cases as evidence. Corn (just a basic carbohydrate) is a great attractant until acorns (also a carb) appear - then corn sprouts and molds and deer ignore it. Likewise, a clover food plot is wonderful if there is nothing else succulent around, but a nearby honeysuckle patch will have the deer ignoring the clover.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I personally do not use them. I plant a lot of food and keep it fertilized and limed appropriately. Clover been number one food source. I do honestly believe the deer heard in our area are bigger and more healthy than areas I know don't have year round supplemental food sources.

But to answer your question. I have two friends who provide year round minerals. Both farms produce monsters every year. This year one of them harvested a 180 class buck. They both swear it's because of the minerals. I'm not sure I agree. One farm is 1200 acres that is planted with plenty of food that is somewhat managed. One is over 2000 acres that is strictly managed, also planted with year round food sources. But I think the key to these farms are not the minerals but they allow the deer to age. The second farm does not harvest any bucks until 4.5 and let those with greatest potential get older than that.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I’m with coot^. I don’t believe they’re magic.

I also don’t believe they help anything right away, in regards to antlers. I’ll even go as far as to say a buck who uses your mineral site (not just a trace mineral salt block but a true rich in mineral mix) over the course of its life may not show any indication of such. For does, if nursing is as demanding on them as it can be on a human body, I could see where providing these minerals could be extremely beneficial.

What i believe is it *can* improve overall herd health if what you are providing is lacking in their diet. And over the course of generations within the heard, it may yield larger antlers if the genetics are there and these deer weren’t getting what they needed to live out their potential.

Those claims of “see bigger bucks” is selling technique, obviously. How can you quantify that in areas or situations like most of us hunt?

As for what I use, I’ve tried a lot of different things, all store bought, and the one with the most salt always wins. Lately I’ve used lucky buck and I’ve had luck with that every where i have dumped it which hasn’t been the case with other products. I won’t even try to guess why.

If i were truly trying to help “my herd” I’d be learning a recipe that wasn’t just a juiced up salt block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I used to use them. For the most part, I'd put out a brown cattle block and they ate it up very quickly and dug a giant hole around it trying to get minerals out of the dirt. But they only used it at night. Same for every other mineral block I've tried. I did seem some bucks a little bigger than what I usually see on our farm that year, but this was during the rut so I'm not even sure these bucks lived on our farm and I doubt one block would make that much difference in 6 months.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
I put out a mixture of stock salt, calcium phosphate, and trace mineral...mixed like one part salt and calcium and two parts mineral. This can be found on Y tube showing how to mix it and put it out. My brother also tried it this year and neither of us had any results what so ever. Also have the brown salt block out and no results with it. Tried the block with mineral in it and not touched. Now, at this site had cob corn out and cameras up and bucks and does ate the corn all season but never touched the minerals or salt block. Now, years back have had them dig a hole in ground to get to a salt block but no luck this year, and this is on same area have hunted for years, so same deer. Usually a water source close by will help in the use of minerals, and I have a stream within few yards of my site, but this year no results. Now all the deer on camera are big, healthy looking does and couple 8 pts with racks that given another year will be good, so have no answer of benefits of minerals.

Sp8

Ten Pointer
I keep a trace mineral block and salt block out. Not much money in it but just to have them something available. I don't know that it helps but sure cant hurt. I don't believe in the hyped up minerals just plain stuff from the feed mill.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I started out about 25-30 years making mineral sites all over the areas I was hunting at the time. I had read and heard some things about supplementing antler growth, and so I started and maintained about 20 sites for many years. I used cheap, agricultural-grade granular salt that I would buy at Southern States in 50 pound bags and I would mix it 50/50 with a granular "Dairy Mineral" that I also bought at SS in 50# bags. The dairy mineral was a supplement mix intended for dairy cows and contained good amounts of calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium, which were the 3 key minerals I had read were the most essential for antler/bone growth. At each mineral site, I would turn over a few shovels of dirt and pour equal amounts of salt and dairy mineral over it and mix it up a bit. These "mineral stations" would become huge holes in the ground over time...and I would add more salt and minerals about once a year. This was before I had ever heard of a trail camera and I did it simply to try and supplement the deer in an effort to help the bucks grow bigger antlers. Whether or not they ever produced results in that effort is anybody's guess.

In more recent years, as I began using trail cameras, I began hearing and reading reports of people attracting bucks during the spring and summer months using Trophy Rocks and other similar products...and using them in conjunction with their trail cameras to "inventory" their bucks during the off-season. I jumped on the bandwagon and will say that this practice has become a huge addition to my annual scouting game plan. As most of us that frequent this forum know, it flat works. Deer, and bucks especially it seems, are drawn to these salt/mineral products during spring and summer and are happy to give us countless pics in exchange for licks of the good salt and minerals we offer them.

There seem to be a variety of reasons/opinions why deer use salt/minerals so readily during these times of the year, and your opinion is as good as mine. I feel it probably has more to do with the salt than anything. Regardless, using minerals (and salt) has been a game-changer for me, and I plan to continue to use them as a scouting tool as long as it's legal. And that's my two cent's worth.

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Primos Red spot from March to Sept.......been putting in the same spot for about 6 years.....in my honeyhole location.....feed corn lightly thru February to help get the deer through the winter. They literally tear the ground up to get the Red Spot minerals and I do have water on both sides of the spot within 40 yards.....We have a 130 class deer there every year and sometimes considerably bigger. I cannot say for sure that the Red Spot does it but it makes me feel better to put it out and let them eat it during the antler growing season!!

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In more recent years, as I began using trail cameras, I began hearing and reading reports of people attracting bucks during the spring and summer months using Trophy Rocks and other similar products...and using them in conjunction with their trail cameras to "inventory" their bucks during the off-season. I jumped on the bandwagon and will say that this practice has become a huge addition to my annual scouting game plan. As most of us that frequent this forum know, it flat works. Deer, and bucks especially it seems, are drawn to these salt/mineral products during spring and summer and are happy to give us countless pics in exchange for licks of the good salt and minerals we offer them.

That is their greatest benefit, IMO. I do not believe that they are a significant factor in growing bigger racks.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
What similar products do you use or recommend?

Trophy Rock is what I've been using primarily in recent years...and also at times pouring on/around it some of HR Carver's granular mineral mix my buddy Rubline gave me. Most of the companies that manufacture and market food plot seed blends and related products also sell their own "special" blends of mineral supplements...and I bet most or all of them would be effective at drawing deer during the spring and summer months. I feel pretty sure as long as it has a lot of salt in it it'll work. In fact, I honestly believe the cheapo salt blocks, either straight white salt or the brown ones with trace minerals, would draw deer just as well as any of the higher-priced products. But I've been paying the premium and using the ones with calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium simply because I feel it can't hurt with regards to supporting deer health and antler growth. I figure if I'm going to go to the trouble and expense, I might as well use the products that might do the deer some good, rather than using straight salt that I'm pretty sure doesn't offer any health benefit.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I don't think minerals help the deer much if at all. It is a good way to get pics in the late summer, early fall where you don't have to go in constantly and replenish and leave scent (like corn). May help a little but I've never seen any study or read an article that convinced me that I was growing bigger deer. I use trophy rocks every summer with some deer cain liquid which seems to jumpstart the use. They do have a big buck on the packaging so it must be true!

Bigger deer seem to always come from the same places, my opinion its the right minerals in the soil, grows good food and the deer get bigger. They also need to live long enough but that's for a different thread. Don't think pouring mostly salt into the ground is going to do much to change that.

Last edited:

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I have limited experience with supplements, but I was part of a hunt club in SC last year and I had bucks ( and does) hitting the mineral site consistently throughout the summer. I only hunted that club one year so I cant speak to year over year growth, but I know those deer loved that mineral site...........at least until opening day :mad:

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I'm guessing that somebody rode by a cow pasture years ago and saw a deer at a salt block and years later here we are. Horses, cows, goats, most herd animals use
salt/mineral and I think deer are in that category, I think salt is the main thing they need, a little mineral mixed in doesn't hurt.
Lately I've been putting a Trophy rock and a salt block together and then take inventory with a trail camera the latter part of the summer.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I started out about 25-30 years making mineral sites all over the areas I was hunting at the time. I had read and heard some things about supplementing antler growth, and so I started and maintained about 20 sites for many years. I used cheap, agricultural-grade granular salt that I would buy at Southern States in 50 pound bags and I would mix it 50/50 with a granular "Dairy Mineral" that I also bought at SS in 50# bags. The dairy mineral was a supplement mix intended for dairy cows and contained good amounts of calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium, which were the 3 key minerals I had read were the most essential for antler/bone growth. At each mineral site, I would turn over a few shovels of dirt and pour equal amounts of salt and dairy mineral over it and mix it up a bit. These "mineral stations" would become huge holes in the ground over time...and I would add more salt and minerals about once a year. This was before I had ever heard of a trail camera and I did it simply to try and supplement the deer in an effort to help the bucks grow bigger antlers. Whether or not they ever produced results in that effort is anybody's guess.

There seem to be a variety of reasons/opinions why deer use salt/minerals so readily during these times of the year, and your opinion is as good as mine. I feel it probably has more to do with the salt than anything. Regardless, using minerals (and salt) has been a game-changer for me, and I plan to continue to use them as a scouting tool as long as it's legal. And that's my two cent's worth.

What % of the bucks you get on camera in the spring and summer at your mineral sites would you say stick around during hunting season? I have always been reluctant to spend the time and money "taking inventory" in the spring/summer because I think the deer will move around so much once it's time to hunt them I'm just wasting my time. Do you think my assumption is true?

Gilly

Ten Pointer
This mineral has really peaked my interest. I have never seen evidence of EHD at my property but I was told that this mineral does help lower the effects of not only the midge but ticks, mosquitos, deer flies, etc. Even if it works just a little bit in keeping the bug pressure off the deer I believe it could greatly aid in the overall health of the deer herd. If you listen to the Wired to Hunt Podcast, listen to Episode #164 with Don Higgins.

https://www.realworldwildlifeproducts.com/ehd-expect-healthy-deer-technology/

What % of the bucks you get on camera in the spring and summer at your mineral sites would you say stick around during hunting season? I have always been reluctant to spend the time and money "taking inventory" in the spring/summer because I think the deer will move around so much once it's time to hunt them I'm just wasting my time. Do you think my assumption is true?

Not sure about familyman but for myself it is 100%, they just move locations but no more than 1/2 mile.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
^ 75% of the bucks that I get on camera around the salt/mineral sites during late summer are gone by the second week of bow season. They move on
to claim their breeding territory I think but different bucks start showing up to do the same.
I just hope the hunters 1 to 5 miles away appreciate the trouble I go through to grow some nice deer and I'm hoping they are doing the same for the
deer that head my way.:)

Familyman

Twelve Pointer

Absolutely, I think your assumption is true. Buck behavior changes from summer to fall...big time...or at least it can...it really depends on the buck. Summer mineral site/trail cam photos will reveal to you a given buck's summer range...but once rut influences enter the picture, all bets are off. That buck's fall range will likely be way different than its summer range. Regardless, summer time mineral site trail cam pics provide intel that can help a hunter zero-in on a given buck...but that info is more useful if you're hunting early season...September/early October, before the urge to breed starts more heavily influencing buck movement.

Beyond that, summer pattern info can also be useful for late season hunting strategies too...because after the rut, surviving bucks tend to return to their summer/pre-rut home ranges. "Regular" bucks that disappear around late October will often return sometime in December. To kill this particular buck though...both you and he will need a good bit of luck on your side! I would venture to say that most bucks with decent head gear don't survive their annual rut foray.

Last edited:

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
^ 75% of the bucks that I get on camera around the salt/mineral sites during late summer are gone by the second week of bow season. They move on
to claim their breeding territory I think but different bucks start showing up to do the same.
I just hope the hunters 1 to 5 miles away appreciate the trouble I go through to grow some nice deer and I'm hoping they are doing the same for the
deer that head my way.:)

That would be proper hunter etiquette for sure! :)

Helium

Old Mossy Horns

On our 360 acres lease in VA, we saw during hunting season 95% of the bucks we had on cameras from summer. Also saw a few bucks not on camera during the summer

I honestly don't know if it helps with antler growth but one thing for sure it can't hurt giving the deer something that they are craving ...not to mention it's great for getting early season pics . But on another note with all the hunting pressure today vs yrs ago we do have a better 2-3 yr old age class harvested yr to yr imo ..can't say what the cause is , but minerals can't hurt a thing ..I'll put em out till the day I can't anymore​..;)