Laid off

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
As of midnight, I guess go in on Monday sign something, then head to woods and start trapping and bunny killing..

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Since you said midnight, I assume you're a federal employee. If that's true, it sucks the politicians can't get their act together. Do you know if once they do get a budget, you'll get paid for the time you missed? Last time there was a federal shutdown, I had friends at EPA that got their back pay after everything was settled.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sorry to hear that. Thankfully we are budgeted differently than most other government agencies and most of us are fairly safe.

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
Since you said midnight, I assume you're a federal employee. If that's true, it sucks the politicians can't get their act together. Do you know if once they do get a budget, you'll get paid for the time you missed? Last time there was a federal shutdown, I had friends at EPA that got their back pay after everything was settled.
Yeah it ain't the first rodeo for me on the circuit. Its just hateful trying to get operational again after the stoppage. Some of us would probably do the job for free, but they told us they would fire us for even being on the property, due to union rules.

lbksmom

Banned
That totally sucks, enjoy the time with family. Hope you will get back pay once everything settles down. They need to do away with Democrats/Republican parties and go back 100 years when they served the American people and the bible way. They waste more time etc. bickering more on unimportant things, as long as they have all the benefits and pay for life they are happy.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Sorry , like everyone else, that this happened.

As for back pay, if they're gonna do it, they might as well just have everyone come on in and work. This grandstanding and then giving everyone who was furloughed a free vacation on the taxpayers dime is just more BS.

I bet LEO and military personnel would like that deal. They still work ... but wonder when the jackasses in DC will see fit to pay them.

Last edited:

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sorry to hear about this for you.

I remember being a junior enlisted man in the Navy back in the 1980's when they shut down the government then. Sure, we eventually got our backpay, but missing two paydays was tough for those of us with young families living paycheck-to-paycheck and having very little financial reserves to fall back on.

But like I said in another thread, there's no pain for Congress: they keep getting paid no matter what.........

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep, I'm in the same boat with you. What ticks me off is, I'll either have to stay up half the night Sunday or wake up at my usual work time on Monday to find out if anything has been resolved. Last time the idiots pulled this crap, we were furloughed for an entire month, and when we came back, we are STILL expected to meet our goals for the year.
Lots of folks see it as government employees getting a "vacation". Well, it's a vacation where you are afraid to spend money because there is no promise of back pay, and you can't go anywhere so far that you can't report to work the next morning if the idiots reach a resolution.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, we get that, Soilman. Not saying it's fun for anyone. Just frustrated over this unnecessary fubar BS by our "public servants".

Last edited:

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Sorry to hear about this for you.

I remember being a junior enlisted man in the Navy back in the 1980's when they shut down the government then. Sure, we eventually got our backpay, but missing two paydays was tough for those of us with young families living paycheck-to-paycheck and having very little financial reserves to fall back on.

But like I said in another thread, there's no pain for Congress: they keep getting paid no matter what.........

That's what infuriates me the most. They shut the government down for political reasons only, BUT THEY CONTINUE TO GET PAID! How can that be acceptable to anyone, regardless of political party!!!!!!!!

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
That's what infuriates me the most. They shut the government down for political reasons only, BUT THEY CONTINUE TO GET PAID! How can that be acceptable to anyone, regardless of political party!!!!!!!!

Yet the same people get voted in time after time:confused:

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
One thing that would help solve it is for congress to NOT get paid until we have an actual budget...not just a "continuing resolution", but a yearly BUDGET. Unfortunately, they get to make the rules for themselves to their benefit while the rest of the country suffers.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I don't think the pay matters to the vast majority of them. They make way more $$$ on the side.

Maybe we ought to just replace the sorry SOBs if they can't do their job.

double

Twelve Pointer
For those calling for term limits we have them every few years they are called elections. Obviously the majority of the population in each district is happy with what their rep is doing or they would not be there. As far as pay I think being in congress should be an honor not a job. Give them a tax credit and spending money but no where near what they make and who gets lifetime retirement for 2 years service that’s ridiculous.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
For those calling for term limits we have them every few years they are called elections. Obviously the majority of the population in each district is happy with what their rep is doing or they would not be there. As far as pay I think being in congress should be an honor not a job. Give them a tax credit and spending money but no where near what they make and who gets lifetime retirement for 2 years service that’s ridiculous.

Unfortunately, happy and ignorant are synonymous with many, if not most, voters.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just KNOW there is going to be some more crap over this come Feb. 8. How do I know? I'm supposed to fly to a training in Murfreesboro TN on Feb. 4. I'm supposed to fly home on Feb. 9. Yup! Probably another shutdown during he middle of my trip and screw up my flight plans home. IDIOTS!!!

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I just KNOW there is going to be some more crap over this come Feb. 8. How do I know? I'm supposed to fly to a training in Murfreesboro TN on Feb. 4. I'm supposed to fly home on Feb. 9. Yup! Probably another shutdown during he middle of my trip and screw up my flight plans home. IDIOTS!!!

Yeah, they aren't thinking about you directly. Unless they can use you as a pawn. Heck, you're name may me mentioned personally in the next 2 weeks!

Last edited: