Time to back stroke..

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Holy crap Batman...........if he had swerved it to the side they were on just a couple of feet......totally different result......body recovery.....

Bass-n-Deer-416

Four Pointer
I would hate to be in that situation....lots of careless people drive cars, why did/would I expect any less from people driving boats? Good wake up call for me to always pay attention to others next time I’m out fishing.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I don't normally advocate physical violence but that SOB would have been sucking soup through a straw for the rest of his life, assuming he survived...

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
Driver claims "he couldn't see because he was sitting down"...to me that is an admission of negligence by operating a motor vessel without maintaining a clear line of sight for obstacles or obstructions. If he was texting it is a double whammy by not only not having a clear line of sight but add distracted driving to the mix- lawsuit results should be driver at fault/victims full restitution (within reason).

stormm4

Big Ole Nanny Doe
Said he was sitting down because he uses a walker or something while on land. Will be interesting investigation.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
Said he was sitting down because he uses a walker or something while on land. Will be interesting investigation.
Again, admission of negligence unless the helm/seat was adjusted or changed as to permit full line of sight. This is like driving a car in winter with just the upper 1/3 of the windshield clear of ice/snow...driving blind!

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Driver claims "he couldn't see because he was sitting down"...to me that is an admission of negligence by operating a motor vessel without maintaining a clear line of sight for obstacles or obstructions. If he was texting it is a double whammy by not only not having a clear line of sight but add distracted driving to the mix- lawsuit results should be driver at fault/victims full restitution (within reason).
I agree

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lots of big boaters don't pay enough attention to other boaters. You tend to notice that even more when you use a small boat most of the time. Just a few weeks ago, I was in my kayak on the Goose Creek Gamelands paddleing back towards my truck. I heard a big boat coming by me but didn't hear the engines throttle down, so I looked back just in time to see a huge capsizing wake headed my way, just in time to turn my bow into the wake. I noticed he slowed down for the fishing boat a ways up ahead of me. There is no doubt in my mind that I would have capsized had that wake hit me broadside.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Lots of big boaters don't pay enough attention to other boaters. You tend to notice that even more when you use a small boat most of the time. Just a few weeks ago, I was in my kayak on the Goose Creek Gamelands paddleing back towards my truck. I heard a big boat coming by me but didn't hear the engines throttle down, so I looked back just in time to see a huge capsizing wake headed my way, just in time to turn my bow into the wake. I noticed he slowed down for the fishing boat a ways up ahead of me. There is no doubt in my mind that I would have capsized had that wake hit me broadside.

brings back some fine memories, wading in Okeechobee and hearing a airboats coming was pretty exciting.

the ignorance of youth. :)

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
And..

But Larsen denies the allegations and told investigators he couldn’t see over the dash of his boat because he was sitting down. The 75-year-old uses a motorized scooter when he’s on land.

Scooter issues!

And why not lets throw this in there? The people in the small boat were probably illegal immigrants....lol
Larsen told The Oregonian the accusation against him was “fake news.” He pleaded not guilty to the charges and said the lawsuit was unnecessary because no one was seriously hurt.

No charges because no one was seriously hurt. With a video of them jumping for their lives!!

Man, I would LOVE to live under that kind of umbrella of bewilderment!

Last edited:

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Not to absolve him of any responsibility, but the three in the smaller boat must have been suffering from rectal/cranial inversion to have allowed a boat that size to bear down on them while they were apparently sitting still. When I'm on the water my head is on a gimbal looking for other craft and prepared to move if necessary.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
I agree Blackwater, being on the water is about like driving on the highway you have to be aware and look out for the other fellow at all times. We have had big boats come very close to us before throwing a large wake oh they could see us but I think some of them get a charge out of seeing small boats bounce around and the people inside it trying not to fall out or capsize.. And depending on a jury to convict the man well that's another story many people today have for some reason a bleeding heart for the idiots out there..

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I have been in that exact same situation except the boat ran across our bow. Wish I had that on video.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's not like there's anything they could do. That boat was moving! By the time they dropped the rod and cranked the boat up, the boat would have hit them. Seemed to me they did the only thing they could do. And of course, you expect a boat to see you and change course. It's not like they were in a small jon boat either. The boat they were in was a pretty big boat too, very noticeable with the top on it.

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah agree when your moving at least be able to see where you are moving.. Sitting down is ok, Pilots on aircraft do it all the time, but being able to see out the front would be a must.. If he had run aground and it had been filmed wonder who he would be trying to sue.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I just ran a stopwatch on the video, those folks had about 10 seconds after they figured out that the other boat was not going to yield to get into the water and save their lives. There was no time to crank up and run. But, as posted above, they should have been more aware of that boater and his course.
Even though they lived, this was a bad event, that water is really cold even during the summer, really cold.
The law should bankrupt the guy operating that boat, he was at fault and it can be proved if he was texting [already been done in automobile wrecks] the law should take a year or so out of his life [prison].
Make an example of this guy and maybe save some child's life later on.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Being aware of other boats and their course is great and what you should be doing anyway. When a boat is bearing down on you the last thing crossing your mind is that it’s going to hit you. It’s not a common thing thus you don’t expect it to happen. Boats will pass within 100yds to mark your spot or just out of a lack of respect. The boat will still be a half mile out at the time you would have to make the call to move before it reached you. I watched the boat that ran us over start as a speck on the horizon. The last thing you think is that it’s gping to run you over.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Some people shouldn't even be allowed to drive wheelbarrow. And he damn sure needs to be sued.