Hunting Holster for 10.5 Super Blackhawk

Royal Wulff

Button Buck
I've been hunting, from time to time, with a 10.5 scoped Super Blackhawk. I've even managed an 8pt and a couple of does over the last few years. The problem is I can't seem to find a decent holster, so I carry through the woods like a carbine. That has worked so far, but I was hoping for some recommendations on some gun leather. I have seen a good option from Pistol Packaging, but that's about it except for nylon rigs. Anybody have any other recommendations I may have missed?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Uncle Mikes makes a shoulder rig for that scoped revolver..I actually have one and it works really well. It is big and bulky, but so is the revolver/scope combo so that is to be expected. Mine is old school green camo, and probably from the 80's.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
^This^
I used one of these for my 9-1/2" Super Redhawk with scope for a few years. As Eric mentioned they can be bulky but I wore mine under a jacket to keep my hands totally free to climb stands without worry of bumping the piece. I tried leg holsters but found them very cumbersome with such a long pistol/holster, especially when getting in and out of stands.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If the gun is a keeper, give some thought to putting a sling on it. I put one on my long barreled S&W Mod 657 about 30 years ago and have never looked back. Lots more useful and comfortable than a holster.

For me anyway, the only time the gun isn't in my hands is when I'm climbing, dragging or negotiating tough terrain and the sling works just fine for those activities.

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I have a scoped 10.5" Super Blackhawk and use an Uncle Mikes holster to carry it. I don't see the model I on their website though. It has a single adjustable padded strap that you can can put aover your shoulder or around your neck. It works well and really protects the scope and handgun.

<>< Fish

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
41Magfan, how do you go about attaching the front stud for the sling?

Drill & Tap both the barrel and grip frame. There are some options to fit or silver solder a barrel band on the barrel also. The Ruger he pictured appears to have been modified by Mag-na-port I believe they drill & tap for the front stud.

<>< Fish

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
41Magfan, how do you go about attaching the front stud for the sling?

The front swivel stud is silver soldered to a small flat machined into the barrel and the rear attachment is simply a drilled & tapped stud. Mag-na-port did the work on mine.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
The front swivel stud is silver soldered to a small flat machined into the barrel and the rear attachment is simply a drilled & tapped stud. Mag-na-port did the work on mine.

I thought they drilled & tapped. Good to know they silver solder.

Did you get one of their conversion guns or just pick the modifications you wanted from their list? That's a nice looking setup.

<>< Fish

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Here's what the old Uncle Mikes rig looks like that I use. It has plenty of room for the scope and handgun.

<>< Fish

Il3Sabl.jpg

Last edited:

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I thought they drilled & tapped. Good to know they silver solder.

Did you get one of their conversion guns or just pick the modifications you wanted from their list? That's a nice looking setup.

<>< Fish

I had already done an action job on the gun, but I got pretty much everything else that is part of the Stalker package. It wore a Leupold 2x for about 20 years before I put this Aimpoint Micro on it back in 2010. I use a thin binocular strap for a sling as a 1" conventional strap was just plain overkill.

Mag-na-Port's Custom Shop does good work and I'm probably going to get a Predator conversion done one of these days.

Last edited:

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
Man you got me interested in them studs for a sling. I looked on their website to see about a price for just that, couldn't find that exact modification listed, but found several other mods that have me sitting at the purchase price of the pistol lol. Do y'all think the "action job" is worth it on a single action? I would really like for them to install the base for a scope too. Wish I hadn't of seen this thread. I just don't think I'd want it ported though, son of a gun is loud enough as it is.

Last edited:

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thomas270,

Custom work can be expensive and much of it is purely cosmetic, but I learned a looooong time ago that no good shooting with a handgun can be accomplished without a good trigger and an adequate sighting system. The rest is fluff, but both of those requirements are absolute must-haves in my book.

When I was a young man, I didn't appreciate those things and wasted a lot of money on stuff that performed marginally. These days, I'd rather have one customized gun that does what I need it to do than a safe full that will always be marginal. As just one example, I used to think that owning five Glocks was more desirable than owning on nice 1911 ..... not anymore.

The MNP website indicates that "Swivel Stud Installation" is P.O.R. so I guess it's gun specific now.

Last edited:

Royal Wulff

Button Buck
Thomas270,

Custom work can be expensive and much of it is purely cosmetic, but I learned a looooong time ago that no good shooting with a handgun can be accomplished without a good trigger and an adequate sighting system. The rest is fluff, but both of those requirements are absolute must-haves in my book.

When I was a young man, I didn't appreciate those things and wasted a lot of money on stuff that performed marginally. These days, I'd rather have one customized gun that does what I need it to do than a safe full that will always be marginal. As just one example, I used to think that owning five Glocks was more desirable than owning on nice 1911 ..... not anymore.

The MNP website indicates that "Swivel Stud Installation" is P.O.R. so I guess it's gun specific now.

That's a great lesson, 41magfan.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I had already done an action job on the gun, but I got pretty much everything else that is part of the Stalker package. It wore a Leupold 2x for about 20 years before I put this Aimpoint Micro on it back in 2010. I use a thin binocular strap for a sling as a 1" conventional strap was just plain overkill.

Mag-na-Port's Custom Shop does good work and I'm probably going to get a Predator conversion done one of these days.

Thanks for sharing the info. That is a nice set up.

<>< Fish

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I have a couple of these that fit the big revolvers and another for the Super 14 Contenders/15" Encore. They take a little effort to get them to hang perfectly, but once setup, they are the way to carry a big handgun. i can bring a weapon to bear on target much faster than with a sling and they offer alot of protection to your pistol and optic.
Here's what the old Uncle Mikes rig looks like that I use. It has plenty of room for the scope and handgun.

<>< Fish

Il3Sabl.jpg

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I have a couple of these that fit the big revolvers and another for the Super 14 Contenders/15" Encore. They take a little effort to get them to hang perfectly, but once setup, they are the way to carry a big handgun. i can bring a weapon to bear on target much faster than with a sling and they offer alot of protection to your pistol and optic.

I have a couple for Encores/Contenders also. They came with an over the top flap and a single strap that can replace the flap also.

<>< Fish