Home/Kennel Security Camera System

Avery Creek

Twelve Pointer
I am wanting to install some security cameras around the house and kennel. Basically looking for a complete “package”’system of 4-6 cameras. Two cameras on the house at front and back doors, two in the kennel and one at the shop door. My kennel is about 30 yards from the house on the west side and the shop about same, maybe a little closer on the east side. I do want to be able to use my phone to monitor remotely and I do want about a weeks worth of footage stored on DVR or similar. I guess I’d prefer wireless but not sure if that is an option at the distances I need so I don’t mind running wire.

What is out there that would fit my needs? I don’t want a $100 System that is nothing but a headache but would hope to stay under $500.

2LazyHounds

Button Buck
I just recently installed the Ring doorbell at my house and I'm really impressed by it. I saw they started making motion lights as well. I like the dual purpose products rather just having an obnoxious camera mounted on the wall. At least for the doorbell, it connects to your phone via your in home wifi. You can adjust the motion settings to cover different area so you don't get an alert every time the wind blows your flag. I have every video it has recorded on my phone since I installed it and I can live view which is nice for when I'm out of town. For the doorbell options you can either charge the unit or power it from an existing doorbell you're replacing. I would imagine the motion lights are similar. I hope this helps.

double

Twelve Pointer
I have nest cameras at the house. You will need power and wifi but they work great. I get notifications at any sound or movement and for $100 a year i get at least a weeks worth of cloud storage accessible from anywhere.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I use ARLO. You can 7 days free cloud storage. It will be a little over budget but they are wireless and use batteries. I ended up buying rechargeable batteries from Amazon since the batteries they use are expensive.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I got a Swann system at Sams Club for work. It's little over your budget, but does everything you need or want. I ran the wire and hooked it up and I will tell you I am no IT person. It comes with 4 cameras and can add up to six I think.

Shouldn't you have a guard dog trained?:D

Last edited:

Avery Creek

Twelve Pointer

With the kennels so close to the house I have an early warning system for sure. Nobody comes up the driveway I don’t know about. I want it more for monitoring when I’m gone at hunt tests and field trails and my wife and kids are here.

Plus if some Tide Pod eating meth head wanders up trying to take something that doesn’t belong to him, I’d like a nice picture to share with the Deputy.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
If you want constant footage, round the clock, do NOT get Arlo!!! Unless you live there and can routinely recharge their batteries.
I put Arlo's out in July in upstate NY, and they lasted till Thanksgiving. It detected motion and recorded at 10 second intervals, or I could switch it to live, with drained the battery!) It was NOT the same distance some game cameras offer however. Much closer. But good detail!

My phone dinged EVERY time it sensed motion though!

I don't have time to go into what arlo did for me, but it kept a CLOSE eye (20-25 feet and license plates) for months while I was 700 miles away, within seconds.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Arlo seemed like the best option when I looked into it, but I'm holding out because of the upload speed. Our upload speed is only 1 Mb/s. I'm afraid that whenever it starts recording it will take up all of our bandwidth immediately. It states 1 Mb minimum. Anyone know anything about this or how well it will upload with marginal speed? Will it slow down all other internet/streaming when it is tripped?

I hate to drop hundreds of dollars only to find out I don't have the internet speed to run it, and I'm already at the max internet I can get here.

Last edited:

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
I got a Swann system at Sams Club for work. It's little over your budget, but does everything you need or want. I ran the wire and hooked it up and I will tell you I am no IT person. It comes with 4 cameras and can add up to six I think.

Have this system and the first year was great now I have 3 cameras that don’t work and the one that still works is off color and fuzzy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk