Classifieds Question concerning Gun Sales

witler

Eight Pointer
Why do some people selling long guns, rifles/shotguns require that the buyer have a Conceal Carry or Permit to buy the long gun?
I understand face to face with id but confused about other.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Why do some people selling long guns, rifles/shotguns require that the buyer have a Conceal Carry or Permit to buy the long gun?

Likely don’t want to chance selling to a felon

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
cause they want to - a seller can put any caveats they want on it - buyers have the option to say "I ain't bothering"

BLOODBROTHER

Twelve Pointer
I understand the position of sellers and buyers. Sometimes, it takes a while to get a handgun permit if you don't have a concealed carry permit. Could mean a buyer is out of luck if the seller is ready to move it out.

spinnerbaitor48

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I understand the position of sellers and buyers. Sometimes, it takes a while to get a handgun permit if you don't have a concealed carry permit. Could mean a buyer is out of luck if the seller is ready to move it out.
people just trying to cover their asses if something goes south...no biggie

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

I had wondered the same, so thanks for asking. The responses make a lot of sense and something I might consider in the future.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's not required by law, and it's not even a CYA situation, but that's the reason that's always given. Your obligation is not to knowingly sell to someone who is ineligible. And there is no record keeping requirement either.

The only real reason I see is to do your part to keep guns out of the hands of ineligible buyers, but no one wants to say, "Hey man, I don't trust you, so show me your papers."

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
Another option for the seller to confirm the buyer's legal ability to purchase the firearm would be to go through a FFL for the transaction. It would add $15-20 to the seller's price but would relieve the seller of any potential question.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
It's not required by law, and it's not even a CYA situation, but that's the reason that's always given. Your obligation is not to knowingly sell to someone who is ineligible. And there is no record keeping requirement either.

The only real reason I see is to do your part to keep guns out of the hands of ineligible buyers, but no one wants to say, "Hey man, I don't trust you, so show me your papers."

And that us easier to prove having seen a permit or signed bill of sale with said permit.