Snow go to meal

witler

Eight Pointer
I totally understand this, however there would be something off abut sitting on the beach in July eating a hot bowl of chili or eating an ice cream sundae at a stop on a snowmobile run. It is a frame of mind matter where the current environment can and does dictate desires for certain foods and beverages. That said, I had a British friend that would order chili in the middle of August...but the British part explains a lot there.

Kinda like the inside temp being 68 degrees with the thermostat being on heat and 68 degrees inside and the thermostat being on AC. To me just doesn't feel the same 68 degrees.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
^Dang..... I'd be freezing in either scenario. If it is 68 then some serious wood needs to be in the stove and the draft opened up. My thermostat has no idea what 68 is in the summer.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Lol I do eat chili year round, and used to stop for ice cream and sit outside after we got done coonhunt and eat it.

When I worked up north, I’d pack soup, because I was outside in subzero temps all day.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Always good in the cold weather, but if I know the snow is coming, navy beans go in the soak. Next day are on a slow cook with a couple packs of finely chopped ham pieces.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I like chili and soup when it's cold but I like them when it's hot too. lol. No problem eating ice cream when it's cold either, that's part of the problem.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
It’s always humored me that people eat different meals based on something outside, while sitting in a climte controlled environment.

I think the benefit of making a big pot of chili, soup, or stew with winter weather is that you end up with leftovers that are easy to reheat by multiple methods if the power goes out. But part of it is just tradition. We have black eyed peas on New Years, ham on Easter, burgers on the 4th, turkey on Thanksgiving, prime rib on Christmas Eve, and chili when it snows.

Last edited:

Avery Creek

Twelve Pointer
Salisbury Steak and Gravy over rice is our typical snow day meal.

We eat chili a good bit all winter long, and typically the first good cool evening of the year (September/Octiberish) I make the first pot of chili, kind of a way welcome fall.

witler

Eight Pointer
^Dang..... I'd be freezing in either scenario. If it is 68 then some serious wood needs to be in the stove and the draft opened up. My thermostat has no idea what 68 is in the summer.

In that case you would like it at my in-laws, he keeps thermostat on 76.