Millennial Job Interview

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Doesn't seem too far off the mark.

[video=youtube_share;Uo0KjdDJr1c]https://youtu.be/Uo0KjdDJr1c[/video]

Frostcat

Twelve Pointer
I was out of work last year for about six months for shoulder surgery. On my first day back, I looked at the schedule and commented on several new names. My coworker laughed and said there have been a few come and gone while you were out.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep...and to her daddy's lawyer she goes with a discrimination suit to be named at a later date.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As funny as it gets at times, keep in mind that some of those folks will be needed in a few short years. Its tough to work and train them, but that is how it is going to be. If you arent finding ways to make the new generation work for you, then there wont be anyone to do it. Lots of industries now are plagued with having a large percentage of 35-65 year old managers but don’t have the spokes in the wheel to fill the gaps when those people leave and/or retire.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know one man that saw this as well. He is 58 and hired 3 guys tight out of college. He put desks in his office and made a point to learn from them as he taught them. He has told me numorous times how he thinks they have helped him much more than anyone he could have hired. He has asked me about it a few times due to my age being close to them.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
That's why businesses are so keen on visas for Indians and Asians. Businesses will do just fine with robots, automation and hard working foreigners.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I know one man that saw this as well. He is 58 and hired 3 guys tight out of college. He put desks in his office and made a point to learn from them as he taught them. He has told me numorous times how he thinks they have helped him much more than anyone he could have hired. He has asked me about it a few times due to my age being close to them.

Indeed, like it or not, we can gain for what many of them can do fluently. Maybe not Tipmoose, but most of the rest of us!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
funny video but,,,,

I have two 24 year olds that work for me,,,,they do fine,,,meticulous, attention to detail, etc all good

my youngest is 28 and I'll put her work ethic against ANYONES...

just as in past generations, it's not a one thing fits all,,,,,just have to sort through the pebbles to find the gold!!

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I want to direct a video.

2 millenials out in a restaurant their first date. They never speak to "each other", rather, flip through their phones and show each other what they think is laudable.

If the date acts "offended?" , you accuse them of scrolling too far down.

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I want to direct a video.

2 millenials out in a restaurant their first date. They never speak to "each other", rather, flip through their phones and show each other what they think is laudable.

If the date acts "offended?" , you accuse them of scrolling too far down.

You could make a modern suspense thriller for millennials if they were scrolling through their date's phones and not their own. :D

<>< Fish

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
While this is a bit exaggerated, I recruited medical device sales reps for 25 years and I did see a difference in attitudes in the last few years vs my early years...

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The best coder and tester I ever worked with was 23 when he joined my team. Absolutely awesome developer. Smart. Very hard working. Wanted it done right. Went from contractor to employee to promotion in 2 years. Meanwhile another guy in his late 20s employee for 6 years is no longer employed by the company because of chronic tardiness and perpetual victimhood.

I can and do work with millennials. They just have to have a work ethic, do a good job, and not make my job harder on a day to day basis.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I can and do work with millennials. They just have to have a work ethic, do a good job, and not make my job harder on a day to day basis.

At some point, recruiting is going to come down to "following rainbows". I fear. But I hope it's not so.

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
funny video but,,,,

I have two 24 year olds that work for me,,,,they do fine,,,meticulous, attention to detail, etc all good

my youngest is 28 and I'll put her work ethic against ANYONES...

just as in past generations, it's not a one thing fits all,,,,,just have to sort through the pebbles to find the gold!!

Fact. I'm sure the baby boomer generation was trash talked by their elders. The world has changed a lot, and talking trash about an entire group of people isn't going to make anything better.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
I work with millennials. I am kind of in the middle group at work. What I see are some nuggets of gold who can teach me a LOT. The more successful ones have an amazing work ethic but it is coupled with a frustrating sense of entitlement. They want the perks I have earned over time 26 years). My employers answer to that is to remove the perks for everyone.......which sucks. BUT, there are less of me than of them so I get the need to create the work environment that will keep them happy. I am somewhat trapped by a pension that the millennials do not have.

My main concern at work is that our non compete agreements weed out the best (they know they don't need to sign and get a good gig elsewhere) and keep the mediocre here. Not bad enough to fire and paid enough to hang around. So we have created a culture of mediocrity with a few bright standouts.

I am less concerned about millennials that the little kids starting school now who have not developed life skills like how to entertain themselves, deal with boredom, delay gratification, think through problems, earn things or effectively communicate. We are rushing to make kids happy and keep them busy. And as a result they are not developing these skills. My teacher friends are not concerned with kids starting school who don't know letters and numbers. They are concerned with kids not equipped to learn and think.

There soooo much information out there readily available. But if kids don't learn how to evaluate it critically and communicate what good is it?

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I remember growing up hearing about how we had it so good, my grandparents walked uphill to school both ways, BLAH BLAH BLAH. we had all these high tech items like Atari's and TVs with a remote control......

I view the millenium bashing as much of the same. Besides, if Millenials ARE the issue, we have no one to blame but ourselves......they are OUR kids and we are the ones that spoiled them! well, at least the older half of this forum.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Fact. I'm sure the baby boomer generation was trash talked by their elders. The world has changed a lot, and talking trash about an entire group of people isn't going to make anything better.

But its a time honored tradition going back to Socrates!

Are we entitled? Yeah, it probably comes off that way. Enough of us saw our parents get laid off after years of hard work and "loyalty," that we understand far more clearly than any other generation that the company settles up every two weeks, no further beyond that.

Anyhow, my personal opinion on it is that millennials were over structured growing up. Too many of us were sent to baseball camp, soccer camp, enrolled in fifteen activities after school, play was scheduled and monitored. Some of that is good, too much of it isn't. There's a real value in going down to the creek to look for frogs, without supervision, without your parents turning it in to a biology class.

That, and probably more of us then other generations that had parents that wanted us to focus on school, do a volunteer project, commit everything to making the varsity basketball team (so camps or AAU or whatever all summer) that a lot of us didn't punch a clock and stock shelves or whatever as teenagers.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
But its a time honored tradition going back to Socrates!

Are we entitled? Yeah, it probably comes off that way. Enough of us saw our parents get laid off after years of hard work and "loyalty," that we understand far more clearly than any other generation that the company settles up every two weeks, no further beyond that.

Anyhow, my personal opinion on it is that millennials' were over structured growing up. Too many of us were sent to baseball camp, soccer camp, enrolled in fifteen activities after school, play was scheduled and monitored. Some of that is good, too much of it isn't. There's a real value in going down to the creek to look for frogs, without supervision, without your parents turning it in to a biology class.

That, and probably more of us then other generations that had parents that wanted us to focus on school, do a volunteer project, commit everything to making the varsity basketball team (so camps or AAU or whatever all summer) that a lot of us didn't punch a clock and stock shelves or whatever as teenagers.

The Parents of teens or youngins right now that I know? BUSIEST PEOPLE ON THE PLANET!!! Chinese manufacturer workers look at them and say, "Wow! We got it EASY!"

God Forbid your kid is into hockey! (or rather you are into hockey so your kids MUST learn it!!! lol). I have a buddy who goes to bed EVERY Fri and Sat during hokey season cause his kids have practice or hockey games @ 6 AM on Sat/Sun (4:30 wake up call)!!! Talk about Work Ethic!!! When did hockey turn into farming? Then you shovel on Catachism or such, between hockey sports, meals, oh and dont forget SCHOOL/HOMEWORK,....... and listening to some of these kids talk about their day makes ME want to take a nap!!!! They might take up hunting just so they get to bed early and sleep in late lol.

I would NOT want to work for them when they are running the program!!!!!

Last edited:

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The Parents of teens or youngins right now that I know? BUSIEST PEOPLE ON THE PLANET!!! Chinese manufacturer workers look at them and say, "Wow! We got it EASY!"

God Forbid your kid is into hockey! (or rather you are into hockey so your kids MUST learn it!!! lol). I have a buddy who goes to bed EVERY Fri and Sat during hokey season cause his kids have practice or hockey games @ 6 AM on Sat/Sun (4:30 wake up call)!!! Talk about Work Ethic!!! When did hockey turn into farming? Then you shovel on Catachism or such, between hockey sports, meals, oh and dont forget SCHOOL/HOMEWORK,....... and listening to some of these kids talk about their day makes ME want to take a nap!!!! They might take up hunting just so they get to bed early and sleep in late lol.

I would NOT want to work for them when they are running the program!!!!!
Hockey has always been like that at least organized hockey.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I've worked a job or two up north. I saw people in several bars, almost come to blows,....watching the TV....of PeeWee Hockey.

If you watch NHL channel you'll recognize Mike Millbery as one of the talking heads, former NHL player and coach. He got charged for going on to the ice at his son's hockey game and assaulting a 12 year old which he claims was bullying his kid. ...I never played organized hockey growing up but my friends who did were practicing at 4 am . Crazy stuff but the demand for ice rink time made that a necessity

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I've worked a job or two up north. I saw people in several bars, almost come to blows,....watching the TV....of PeeWee Hockey.

My dad and uncle didn&#8217;t speak for a year over a dispute about the coaching of a team my brother and cousin played on.

But yeah, I&#8217;ve rinks are expensive to run, you can&#8217;t have any open ice slots or you go under in a hurry...kids practice is always the earliest. My HS team, we practiced 940-11 at night some nights.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Thank goodness I'm not crazy. Soccer and football and lacrosse parents are just a weeee bit different. Compared to hockey parents.....No offense to Palin.

Pirate96

Twelve Pointer
Hey dont forget who are responsible for mellinials. Lots of Baby boomers raised them.

You mean the same generation that "rebelled" and cussed the silent generation and said
trust no one over 30
?

I hate all the stereotypes in general. Like everything in life there will be some good ones and some bad ones. Things change and we all either adapt or die.

That works for a person or business.